Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
Shelving suggestions solicited >

Shelving suggestions solicited

Shelving suggestions solicited

Old 04-18-2016, 07:28 AM

Question Shelving suggestions solicited

Moving! Sewing storage gets 8' wide end of small sewing room, standard 8' ceiling. (The sewing machine faces the window and serger goes in former closet.) I want fabric storage to fill the end wall, and am willing to use a step-stool for higher shelves. Other threads have suggestions for folding and containers, but WHAT KIND OF SHELVING might work well?
Old 04-18-2016, 07:56 AM
Power Poster

I would buy a pantry shelving unit with doors from Walmart or similar. If I had room I might put 2 units side by side. Fill up the inside with my fabric on boards and store batting on top.
Old 04-18-2016, 10:01 AM
Power Poster

I would look for a combination of shelving and drawers. Pegboard is also great for hanging many quilting accessories.
Old 04-19-2016, 04:30 AM

Check your local Lowe's or Home Depot for closet systems. I bought six straight units and two corner units to use as my main sewing/quilting headquarters. I liked the adjustable shelves, hanging baskets, and drawers which were available. Since I bought them, we've moved four times. These units have held up very well. I stacked them to fill almost an entire wall (with room to open the door to the room). I bolted them all together to make one very sturdy unit.
Old 04-19-2016, 05:25 AM
Power Poster

What's your budget? Pre-made cabinets are not cheap but do give you the shelves and doors that are needed. Personally I would opt for standard depth cabinets in the corners and shallow cabinets for the inside.
Old 04-19-2016, 07:26 AM

Look into Ikea online...I believe they now ship. And then take a look at the Billy bookcases. You can also buy doors for the front to keep off dust and keep out light...all are very sturdy and very affordable. But if you don't need the doors, then you can have open bookcases. Shelves on brackets seems to always have things falling off the ends or don't stay organized. The cases I bought were 10 in deep. If I had it to do again, I'd go 12 just for the extra room. Each case with a door is 32" wide so with 8 feet you could get 3 of these cases in place. [ATTACH=CONFIG]548186[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]548187[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails quilt-1.jpg   quilt-2a.jpg  
Old 04-19-2016, 07:30 AM

I have found that wrapping my fabric on fabric boards is so much easier than the fold and stack method. I have tall book shelves no doors, but I don't have sun to worry about. It's a chore but the end results are worth it!
Old 04-19-2016, 09:02 AM

young duncan, could you post photos?
Maniac, I have pegboard slated for a different wall. The one I'm working on planning needs some kind of shelves, cabinets, or drawers combination.
leighway, thanks for the photos -- these are Ikea, right?
Joyce, budget is open right now (I won't pinch pennies like I usually do) --DH spent over $1K on lawnmower, I can have what I want for cabinets!
Old 04-20-2016, 03:14 AM

I have shelving floor to ceiling in my sewing room. DH put up heavy duty wall brackets with boards on them ( the double notch ones are stronger) http://www.homedepot.com/p/ClosetMai...2855/100134099 . I can pile books fabric anything that I would like on them. I then ruler fold my fabrics into labelled cloth boxes.
Old 04-20-2016, 03:42 AM

I don't know how much fabric you have, but I really like storing mine in drawers, as I don't like to look at all of it when I'm not searching for fabric. Ikea has great drawer storage options. I fold my fabric in quarters by WOF. basically folding it selvage to selvage, then fold to selvage. Then I fold it either around my 5 inch ruler, or the height of the inside of my drawer. Each piece is then stood on edge so I can see the fold in the drawer. I arrange by color and fabric type.
Have fun arranging your new sewing room.