Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Storing sewing machine needles

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
    I have a plastic box with dividers.
    Each different size/type has it's own little compartment.
    I store mine in a similar way - a recipe box with dividers indicating size/type.

I use a plastic box with hinged lid that came filled with jelly beans. Perfect for all the needle packages and it was free.
    It is clear and fits in my drawer with my sewing machine.
    Lu in TN

I meant to say it fits in the drawer of my sewing machine cabinet.

I have a couple plastic boxes with dividers and permanently attached lids. They are maybe 12 inches by 8 inches or so. The spaces are small, a bit wider than a needle 5-pack and deep enough for standing up maybe 10 packages. There is enough room to get my fingers in there. I keep needles sorted by size and type. I keep the boxes in the sewing table drawer, and this works very well. Check Walmart or a hobby store.

I have a couple plastic boxes with dividers and permanently attached lids. The spaces are small, a bit wider than a needle 5-pack and deep enough for standing up maybe 10 packages. There is enough room to get my fingers in there. I keep needles sorted by size and type. I keep the boxes in the sewing table drawer, and this works very well. Check Walmart or a hobby store.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Knitette View Post
    You'll just have to make yourself one of the lovely ones you made me!
    Oh that is waaayy to organized for me, LOL!
    Blessed Be
    Darlene

Blog Entries
    Zip lock bags with the size written on the bag. Inexpensive, safe, able to be ID'd quickly. Instead of just throwing them in a drawer find a small box and keep the bags in this.
    Last edited by katesnanna; 01-15-2013 at 08:05 PM.

I purchased a small round plastic container from Walmart that is made for storing sewing needles. It has 3 sections and the top has a hole in it to retrieve the needle. You just turn the top to the desired size and pour the needle out. Like a toothpick holder.

I use pill reminder boxes - I have removed the lids and they fit perfectly

I made a mini version of a hanging shoe bag using heavy vinyl (sp) for the pockets and embroidered the sizes and types above each pocket. It hangs on the wall right by my machine.
    Quilt outside of the box!

cjr
    I store mine in 2 sandwhich baggies -- one for hand needles one for sewing machine needles.

Bent broken needles & pins go in an empty pill bottle
    www.etsy.com/shop/quiltinglycaroline

I use sugar holders; like the ones which hold individual packages of Sugar, Splenda, Equal, Sweet n`Low... They are small enough that I can keep one holder at each machine. The plastic needle cases are the same rectangle size as an individual package of Splenda. I can hold about 10 plastic needle cases in each holder.

Blog Entries
    Omg, you're all so organized, mine roll around loosly in the bottom od a sewing box lol

sap
    I used glass jars to put my sewing machine needles in. I have to many different kinds to sort them, but with them all together I can look for what I want and at the same time take a break from the sewing machine. plus I have to get up and move, good exercise.

Love the photo album idea... gonna use it.

Quote Originally Posted by Grandma Mary View Post
    I have each type of needle in a different section (universal, top stitch etc.). Also, when I put a needle into my machine, I use one of those tiny pony tail holders around the container to remind me what type of needle is in the machine. Since I have two machines, I use two different colors of pony tail bands...Pink for my Pfaff...and Blue for my Brother! It has saved me a lot of confusion trying to remember what needle is in what machine.
    OH what a great idea!!
    Quilts and cats just go together!

Power Poster
    I bought one of those plastic needle organizers - and for some reason I thought it would have a 'sizer' on it for needle sizes like the knitting needle guages have - and I thought it would have a magnifier so I could read whatever was written on the side of the needle.

I already had a lot of needles that I had stuck in a piece of cloth and I thought it would help me decide what they were.

As it is - I can tell the ones with burrs on them - they get discarded - and the really thick ones from the finer ones.

Blog Entries
    My hand and machine needles stay in their packages until I need one.

I have several pretty glass square containers fresh flowers came in. The hand needles are in one container and machine needles are in another.

I really like to store things on the shelves in glass containers because they're pretty to look at and I can see what's in them!

Nan - IN
    https://napquilting.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/NAPQuilting/

My GOAL is to ALWAYS ENJOY EVERY STEP of the quilting process....

I have those units with all the little drawers that they sell in the hardware dept. Each drawer holds a different size needle and I also have each of my attachment feet for my sewing machine in a drawer of its own. I used my label maker to mark what is in each drawer. To keep the feet for my 3 machines separated, I use a letter system for the brand---FW for featherweight, K for Kenmore, V for Viking and MQ for my Mega Quilter. I also do the same thing with the needles.

I use the little plastic bins with compartments. The needles fit right in them. Also have a bin for pre-filled bobbins, empty bobbins for different machines, etc. The bins don't take up a lot of space on my sewing table either.

I use a set of little plastic drawers (used to hold screws and nails) I keep each size of needles in a separate drawer, the other drawers are used for the little tools one must have but can never find when you need them!

I like the soft side of the vecro for holding the needles and I made a little book and labeled each page beside with the velcro. The velcro with the adhesive backing works great since I made the book with cardboard and used spray adhesive to cover it with my favorite notions fabric. I just wish the numbers on the needles were easier to see because the organizing culd go much faster. I even used a hole punch on the open side of the book to put ribbon so I can tie it shut when Im not using it.
    Last edited by bobbiesboutique; 05-05-2013 at 06:47 PM. Reason: mispelled

Quote Originally Posted by Knitette View Post
    This was made for me on the Secret Pal swap by sewdamncute. There are actually 4 'pages'. Since this was taken, I've labelled all the compartments.
    I love the fact that I can organise part-used needle and also know exactly what needle I've got in my machine by putting a coloured a pin in the correct section!

Knitette, I love it. I just put your needle holder on my bucket list!
    ( `v )
    `.. ♥
    ..) .*) Sheri in Texas
    (. (. .
    a stitch in time saves nine.....

Fishing lure box. They fit perfectly. I also organize my extra sewing feet in them!

I always have extra sewing machine needles in my rolling tote for my sewing machine in case I need to change when I go to quilt group, a package in the machine tool compartment. I recently found several packages in the bottom of a machine case when I was dusting it. I have a carousel from the farm store for my sewing notions, it has two tiers and they are on a lazy susan..

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast