Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: thread storage?

I use a combination of containers and drawers.
    Long arm thread under long arm in drawers, spools I use when matching colors and varigated are downstairs in tub/tote, and one thread case with small machine spools.
    I know where to look for what I want, so I guess that is half the problem
    After 2 years with the same signature I have been requested to remove it. Bye

I purchased two plastic storage boxes with compartments that perfectly fit a spool of thread at Harbor Freight for $5 each. They hold a lot, you can instantly see what you have, they stack in a drawer, and are much less expensive than almost the same boxes specifically sold for thread storage. I've been pleasantly surprised with how many items I've been able to buy at Harbor Freight that are great quilting aids.

I cut pegboard to fit the drawers of one of those 6 drawer plastic carts and glued small dowels in every other hole. I use these to store both my embroidery spools and my regular sewing thread. For the big serger spools, I got another cart with deeper drawers which will hold 4 cardboard six-pack containers (like for beer bottles) in each drawer. The cones fit nicely into each compartment on the container. I drop the cones into the six packs with matching colors together (since you need multiple cones of the same color). Funny, one of my friends was here one day, saw the cart and asked " Why do you have all that beer in your sewing room?"

Quote Originally Posted by mrs. fitz View Post
    I purchased two plastic storage boxes with compartments that perfectly fit a spool of thread at Harbor Freight for $5 each. They hold a lot, you can instantly see what you have, they stack in a drawer, and are much less expensive than almost the same boxes specifically sold for thread storage. I've been pleasantly surprised with how many items I've been able to buy at Harbor Freight that are great quilting aids.
    Could you post us a picture of these? Sound really perfect for thread. I love Harbor Freight for all kinds of stuff. Thanks.

There are some neat ideas on this site
    http://blog.fabric.com/2012/01/thread_organization.html

I really like the first one, the frame...

I found one of those 3 drawer plastic units at Wally world, works great..I too had my thread on racks and they just collect dust. Good luck
    SUEB

Quote Originally Posted by twoxover View Post
    i'm really trying to figure out thread storage. so far, i've got some in a closet in a plastic box, some in the top drawer of my sewing table, etc....

i'm not really wanting to use one of the racks--i think the threads would get dusty. how are YOU storing your thread???

betsey
    I use plastic 3 drawer or 4 drawer cabinets with casters from Office Supply...my husband cut white peg board to
    fit in the drawers, then cut and glued pieces of dowel into the holes...spaced them for room for the thread spools
    works out great...I keep mine in a closet in sewing room and can just wheel it where ever I want it.

Quote Originally Posted by craftykk View Post
    There are some neat ideas on this site
    http://blog.fabric.com/2012/01/thread_organization.html

I really like the first one, the frame...
    Terrific ideas on this thread!

Today, after reviewing the above blog, I cleaned up an old typesetter's drawer that I found at an antique store a few years back but never used. It is now hanging on my studio wall beside one of my sewing machines with my thread and my thimble collection on display. Not all of the thread would fit, as the compartments are not large enough for the big spools, so I kept the June Tailor thread rack that I have been using. It's hanging on the wall under the typesetter's drawer. I really like the "rainbow effect".

I have 4 of the June Tailor thread racks hanging on the wall. I use all the thread so much never noticed it getting dusty..I do alterations so it's used almost daily. Never thought about covering the racks

I purchased these drawers cabinets (the photo shows two) from Ikea and they are located next to the machine I use the most. A drawer for every color (though black, white and grey share one) with some extra drawers for machine tools, seam ripper, bobbins and other often used items.They work as an extension of my sewing table as well.
    Attachment 315990

I do lots of embroidery, so I have LOTS of thread. I got one of the multi drawer roller carts at JoAnn's. The drawers are different colors, so, I have red thread in the red drawer and so on. For general sewing or other speciality threads, I have red plastic boxes that I got at the hardware store. I have them lined up on the divider in my sewing studio. No, they are not covered, but don't seem to get much dust. I just may cover them with thin vinyl.

Those little tiny plastic bags they sell at Hobby Lobby. They are for Jewelry makers primarily, i think. They are just right size for a spool of thread. No matter how you store them they stay dust free and don't get unwound and tangled. I throw them into baskets. One for black and white, one for brown,tan,gray (gray is every quilters favorite color), one for red,pink,purple,yellow,warm colors, and one for cool colors blues and greens.

I have 4 June Tailor racks on my wall and I need another one for my regular thread. I use it everyday because I do alterations, so it doesn't really get dusty. My serger thread I store in 2 drawers in one of those plastic 3 drawer "storage dressers". I made dividers big enough to hold 4 spools for each color. Works great.

QM
    Previously, I had racks my DH made and placed above the windows. Yes, there was a dust problem, but not horrible as I have air filtration in every room. Now I have 4 drawers. One of the dresser drawers (Sterilite, plastic stackable dressers which I got at Walmart) is plain cone thread. Another is metallics and variable cones. I have 2 much smaller drawers for smaller plain threads, many for hand work. This set up works well for me, although the plain cone drawer is VERY full. All of my thread is protected from dust and from light damage.

I found a small jewelry cabinet at a garage sale that has good size drawers in it. I labeled each drawer with the color of thread in each drawer. Look for cabinets that have a lot of small drawers in it, like post office or library cabinets . They add charm to a room. I had thread racks and you are right, they get dusty, plus the thread strings tangle and are messy looking when they hang down. I did use round stickers I bought at Office Depot to stick on the ends of the loose threads, but that got old fast. I think better if I can keep things organized but hidden in cabinets when sewing a new quilt project.

hmmm, sounds interesting. I have a thread rack and thinking of using for other things. I like the drawer idea too.
    It is a blessing, to be a blessing !
    ~Quilters are warm people!!!~
    cheese brings parties together

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...HJV/weight.png

I use the largest size leftovers containers (gladware or similar) and sort the spools by color family. I keep special threads (metallics, invisibles, etc) in their own contaners as well. They stack beautifully on a small shelf next to my sewing machine and tags make it easy to find what I need. I also keep notions in the same kind of container (one for needles, one for fabric chalk and markers, etc. etc.) Inexpensive, looks halfway decent, and it keeps my stuff from getting dusty!

Love reading al these great solutions!!

Laura
    "Children are likely to live up to what you believe of them."
    ---Lady Bird Johnson

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by sewellie View Post
    I read this somewhere but can't remember where. I don't know how to post pictures on here by if you pm me with your e-mail address I can send the picture through my e-mail. Anyway, we took the picture boxes that JoAnn's put on sale, or use the 40% off, and glue golf tees to the bottom of the box. I used the long tees and I can store the spool of thread and the bobbin with matching thread on the same tee. Very cheap fix. And they have a lid. You could use any box that is deep enough to put thread and bobbin. I can get 18 in mine. I chose those boxes because I had a lot from collecting them over the years. On the outside I label them - all purpose, hand quilting, machine quilting, etc. They stack nicely on a shelf.
    Just a FYI.
    What a clever idea!
    For my spools of thread I use the kids' matchcar (?) boxes that I bought some time ago; can't find them anymore though.
    Last edited by gollytwo; 05-29-2012 at 02:47 AM.

Gotta' see all the thread! Have a June Taylor rack on the wall with an assortment of basic colors, then a bin in the cabinet with specialty threads all the other spools are sorted by color bagged and in a large tote on top of the cabinet. I did invest in some clear stretch plastic, i thing from Nancy's Notions, that I wrap around all the exposed spools. Keeps the ends tidy and dust free! The tape comes in 1/2" and 1" witdths and works like a charm.
    Daisydoodle
    Plant a garden and watch for miraclesÂ….

I just ordered a new thread case from Joanna on sale. Currently I have the clear plastic thread boxes but wanted to try another type that holds more. I can't t wait to get it.
    Jojos Nana, Carol

Akron, Ohio - Atlanta, GA - Mannheim Germany
    Fishing Tackle Boxes are excellent! I habe two huge ones from my father. He has no idea all his equipment is in my basement in a cardboard box.
    Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes.

I have one friend who opened up the wall in her studio, between the studs, and it was just deep enough for a shallow kitchen cabinet (2 doors). She put several shelves in the cabinet and her thread was mostly one spool deep. I thought it was a great idea.
    ***Judy
    Studio Design,Organization and the Art Created
    Studio Snapshots Blog

Quote Originally Posted by sewellie View Post
    I read this somewhere but can't remember where. I don't know how to post pictures on here by if you pm me with your e-mail address I can send the picture through my e-mail. Anyway, we took the picture boxes that JoAnn's put on sale, or use the 40% off, and glue golf tees to the bottom of the box. I used the long tees and I can store the spool of thread and the bobbin with matching thread on the same tee. Very cheap fix. And they have a lid. You could use any box that is deep enough to put thread and bobbin. I can get 18 in mine. I chose those boxes because I had a lot from collecting them over the years. On the outside I label them - all purpose, hand quilting, machine quilting, etc. They stack nicely on a shelf.
    Just a FYI.
    Golf tees...what a great idea! I could use those in my sewing table drawers.
    Kathleen, a lass with a bit of the Irish in her blood and a whole lot of Irish in her heart

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2