Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: UFO storage

UFO storage

Does anyone have a way to store their UFOs that they love? I have been using the SKUBB boxes from Ikea. I love the sizes of them (approximately 12x12 and 6 x12 and about 6 deep), but they are soft sided and dont have lids. Im embarrassed to say that I have a couple UFOs that have been in there long enough that they are getting dusty. I had better find a better storage solution or get quilting faster! Hahaha.

I have mine in the zip plastic bags that sheets, blankets, and bedspreads come in. I have a number of them in different sizes. Keeps everything from getting dusty and since they are soft, the stack easy enough.
    Theresa -
    a weaver turned quilter
    Singer Lover: 1932 15-88, 1933 99k25 HC, 1950 221-1, 1950 201-2, 1952 301, 1955 99k28, 1959 401a
    https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...88-albums.html

Depending on the size of the UFO and if it has fabrics and/or pieces to it will determine the size plastic tote I put it into. If its a quilt flimsy that just needs to be quilted I have a rod along the hallway in my basement to hang it. As I progress with each project, I'll pen a note to it so I know where I'm at with the project. I also keep leftover pieces of batting on my rod with a note telling me the size so I know whether it will fit the project in mind or if I need to attach another scrap piece of batting to it.
    Suz in Iowa
    Designer EPIC, Brother XR3140
    Babylock Evolve, Innova 26" LS, MQR
    ProQ Designer, EQ7, Embird

I use the plastic containers from JoAnn Fabrics. I purchase them with coupons @ 50% off and they are about $10.00 each. Called Artbin Super Satchel Single Compartment

I like them, have years of UFO's in them. They have a handle, you can see what's in them easily and I actually label the containers for quick viewing. Unfortunately, I have many of them, so I can attest that they stack very well in a closet!

Blog Entries
    I’ve been putting the fabrics and pattern for each project in those XXLarge Ziplock bags. I tend to get fabrics for a project, but forget where the pattern is, so this helps me stay better organized. I’ve actually done 2 projects recently because I can find all the fabrics and patterns!

Blog Entries
    I use the 15" ? scrapbook plastic colored boxes from Michaels for UFO's or projects. I can see thru them, but I still label them.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kp3690 View Post
    Does anyone have a way to store their UFOs that they love? I have been using the SKUBB boxes from Ikea. I love the sizes of them (approximately 12x12 and 6 x12 and about 6 deep), but they are soft sided and dont have lids. Im embarrassed to say that I have a couple UFOs that have been in there long enough that they are getting dusty. I had better find a better storage solution or get quilting faster! Hahaha.
    I use pizza boxes from the local pizza place. I offer to buy them but the man says I do a lot of business with him so he gives me a couple every time I ask to buy them. I like the way they stack up and it is easy to know what is in them if you put a note on the front. I use them for my circular knitting needles, patterns, stencils, etc.
    MaryB

I love those large plastic zippered bags. They store easily and keep dust (and cat hair) out.

Thank you so much everyone!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Quilter View Post
    I use the 15" ? scrapbook plastic colored boxes from Michaels for UFO's or projects. I can see thru them, but I still label them.
    I use these Iris boxes too. I like that I can see through them, the lid is hinged, so I do not lose it and they are large enough for a 12 inch block to lay flat.

Sometimes Costco has a similar tote on sale in a 5 packs of multi coloured ones. I buy them too.
    Attending University. I will graduate a year after my son and year before my daughter.

I also use the 15 inch boxes from Michels. I also put the pattern that belongs to the ufo on top. I also use them when I am gathering the fabrics for a pattern. I them put the pattern requirements and picture on top.

I also use the clear art bins from JoAnns when on sale. Also have several of the ZipLoc extra large bags with projects. Them..really like the clear see thru storage.

I don't have room to store UFOs. I just finish them up so they are ready for donation.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jingle View Post
    I don't have room to store UFOs. I just finish them up so they are ready for donation.
    I’m so envious! I tend to have the attention span of a gnat, so my UFO pile rotates a lot.

Btw ladies, I just ran to JoAnns to get some containers. They have them all 60% off plus there was an additional 25% off coupon that they let me use! Happy shopping!

My fabric is all in cabinets (bookcases with doors from IKEA); one cabinet has some glass shelves and that's my "UFO zone". Originally it was going to be just two shelves, but I'm afraid it's grown to four and a half. I just stack up everything together; usually that's enough to keep it organized. Sometimes I'll tie things together with selvage 'strings' I keep for such purposes if I'm afraid the stack is going to slide or if I need to sub-divide parts of it.

I like to make a quick,fabric bag for my UFOs which are then stored in a file drawer. The bag is usually made out of a fabric from the quilt.

~ C

Small size UFO ( tablerunners/bags/placemats etc) I keep in between my small stash so I can work a little on them once in a while, if I see them and keep them in view it helps.

I use the collapsable 12"x12"x12" cloth boxes and I keep them in a cage tower kind of thing in my sewing room closet. I keep each project in its own plastic grocery bag so no dust. Perhaps permanent creases in the fabric, but no dust!
    She looks for wool and flax And works with her hands in delight.

Quote Originally Posted by Kp3690 View Post
    I’m so envious! I tend to have the attention span of a gnat, so my UFO pile rotates a lot.

Hey! I resemble that remark

Rob
    1955 Singer Featherweight 221/ Late 60's early 70's White Selectronic 970/
    1975 Kenmore 158 model 1914/. 1981 Brother VX560/ Brother PC420PRW/
    Brother PQ1500s/ HQSweetSixteen