Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
Using a computer desk for sewing table? Help! >

Using a computer desk for sewing table? Help!

Using a computer desk for sewing table? Help!

Old 01-27-2015, 05:21 AM

We have a Huge wall shelf unit that goes nearly floor to ceiling and is about 9 feet wide and if I had room for it in my sewing room I would put it in there and have my husband hinge a fold out shelf for my sewing machine in the large open center area. You could have a lot of necessary stuff right at your fingertips with that one.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 02-11-2018 at 03:30 AM. Reason: remove shouting/all caps
Old 01-27-2015, 07:17 AM

Thanks everyone for all the great feedback! I think I've decided against the computer desk. The one I was looking at looked smaller than what I wanted and I was afraid it wouldn't hold up! DH is going to go ahead and build me a table with shelves. I'm so excited to get it going! Me and my sister are painting the room today!
Old 01-27-2015, 07:34 AM
Power Poster

I would check out the thrift stores. If you find a computer table that is solid it might just work. Whatever you do keep your measurements of your machine handy. I made notes of my machine in my phone. Always handy. DH uses his note app all the time and with photos. I do the same.
Old 01-27-2015, 07:35 AM
Power Poster

tried to reply to thread and it disappeared .
Old 01-27-2015, 07:37 AM

In 1956, my friend built a desk for my new 301. It looks like a desk. The top has a lift out door to put the machine in at table top level. I love that. The sewing surface is very large: desk size large, and was very instrumental in helping me love sewing. The foot petal is mounted under the desk with a knee lever. There are four drawers on each side, just like a desk, but on the right side, two of the drawers are one double deep drawer. When you open it, it has only one side. I can slide the machine into that drawer when I want to. There is a center drawer, also, for thread and sewing notions.
Right now the machine is in the drawer, the top is in place, and my computer is placed over that. I have found that I can put my machine on top and still use the computer. I can see most of the monitor, but for a while I had that up on a pedestal. I just used a few 2X's to lift it up. Covered that with fabric and it looked great and worked great.
Old 01-27-2015, 07:41 AM

I bought a used sewing machine cabinet (
I bought a used sewing machine cabinet
($14.00)and had my handyman retrofit the inside for my Viking machine. I can remove the machine and fold the cabinet up when it is not in use.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 02-11-2018 at 03:31 AM. Reason: remove extra blank lines
Old 01-27-2015, 08:06 AM

Try to find some counter tops that the companies are throwing away. or go to a recycle place and check. (Even old doors work if they are solid) I got my sewing "tables" from discarded counter tops and my husband built stands for them. One on each end. It works well and the counter tops are still in great condition. He built the stands different heights so the tables are the right height for cutting, sewing or ironing.
Old 01-27-2015, 08:10 AM

Location: Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!

I have a corner type computer desk that I use for patterns, cutting etc.. One can cut a hole for your machine in one of those tables. I have a regular machine table (picked it up on Craig's list for little of nothing). Check your 2nd hand stores, Craigslist etc.. for a good bargain ..
Old 01-27-2015, 08:34 AM

Another thing to consider is the weight of your machine. I have a desk (Sauder - something like that) and while it is built to be just a desk, I tried putting a sewing machine on it and it bowed in the center. As someone else said, some things are not made of solid wood these days. :-)

Marysewfun
Old 01-27-2015, 08:43 AM

Just picked up a new desk(used from the Thrift store), it's a medium large oak unit. Someone cut the legs off (good thing because it wouldn't have fit through the front door), got it because I love to sew on a desk because of all the room on top. With no legs, I'm able to make it higher than a regular desk so it can double as a cutting table (when you RV, everything has to double up). Also the sides of the desk look like a frame (oak panel set in), so on one side I turned it into a thread holder (using painted peg board glued onto the panel, that Home Depot cut for me). Oh didn't like the oak color (had oak for years and years, need a change), so I painted the desk a mat black (works for me, but I know it's not for everyone). On the back of the desk (normally the side that goes on the wall), I added a lip so I could put hooks for my rulers (hooks point down from lip, so I can still get around the desk to cut fabric). I also added one of the knife strips (kitchen store), for all of the items that can hang with a magnet (placed this under the desk in the leg area because I had room and all of the items would lay flat). On the other end of the desk I placed small bars for rolls of ribbon and trims (because I use a lot of these with the other sewing I do). I have 1 file drawer on the bottom right, that I have filled with cut hanging file folders (so I can hang half and one yard cuts of fabric). The top drawer on the right was set up for a printer (so no sides on the drawer), but I have used open file baskets for all of my patterns (lots of room and I can leave the drawer open with the directions on top, but still out of the way).
So YES! You can use computer desks, just like quilting you just have to think outside of the box. Good luck