Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
Using a computer desk for sewing table? Help! >

Using a computer desk for sewing table? Help!

Using a computer desk for sewing table? Help!

Old 02-01-2015, 06:47 AM

I use a computer desk for one of my machines. Works great for me. It has the pull out keyboard that I use for the keyboard and mouse to the computer that is mounted on the wall.
Old 02-02-2015, 06:18 AM

I have an old computer desk for my sewing machine. After about 5 years of nagging, my DH finally cut an opening on top to drop the sewing machine. He used some scrap pieces he picked up from Home Depot, 2x4's, a 3/4" plywood, some glue, and screws. He then screwed the top table of the sewing machine flush so now I have the machine at a comfortable level. The machine can still be taken out for cleaning and/or servicing.
Attached Thumbnails dsc04325.jpg  
Old 02-04-2015, 04:18 PM

I found the least expensive way to go is to use a hollow core door. Not very expensive, and a nice size
Old 05-25-2015, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by Bluetickgal92 View Post
Hey everyone! I need a little help I'm in the process of fixing up a sewing room and can't decide on a sewing table. Me and DH had first decided to build shelves and a table. As most know lumber is really expensive so I'm kind of rethinking that one. I've found some corner computer desks that look like what I want in the first place and I could let DH drop my sewing machine in. I was wondering if anyone else used anything like that for a sewing table and do they hold up good? What's honest opinion on building one vs. using a computer desk? Also I'm sort of on a small budget! Please any help would be appreciated!
I have two nice looking saw horses with a door from Manards on it. It is a great size, and I have used it for the past 10 years. I saw the idea in a magazine years ago. It is awesome, and I have storage room under the door. Oh yes, and I have the largest cutting mat from JoAnn fabrics on it, wonderful for cutting table.
Old 06-11-2015, 07:50 AM

My sewing table is an 8' table from the local office supply store. This gives me plenty of room for computer flatscreen, sewing, and cutting, and room for storage underneath.
Old 06-15-2015, 12:58 PM

I have a computer desk that has a keyboard slide out shelf thing. I haven't yet, but I'm going to cut a hole in my desk and sit my machine on the shelf. If you don't want to make a new desk, check out craigslist or thrift stores I'm just got a beautiful cutting table for $25 on Craigslist.
Old 07-05-2015, 07:57 AM

I had a corner desk from an office supply store---weight wise, it held sewing machines ok, but I hated it. I got farm table and backed it up to my formica table that my grandpa made and it is much better. Holds the weight of the quilts when quilting. Both are real wood and sturdy.
Old 02-11-2018, 12:58 AM

If your not in a huge rush, I recommend checking the free section of Craig's List. Several times, I have gotten quite a few construction materials that way, including lumber. I've also gotten some great pieces of furniture.

I've found that the best time to scout for freebies is at the end of the month, when people are moving and don't want to cart all their belongings to a new place.