Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: We need to see some tiny sewing spaces!

Quote Originally Posted by sparkys_mom View Post
    I am fortunate to have a decent area for sewing. It isn't huge and I whine about it all the time but I've been so impressed by the sewing space of a blogger I follow. She lives in NYC and space is at a premium. This is her setup.http://madebychrissied.blogspot.com/...=+sewing+space

And while you are there, you can look at all the impressive quilts she has made in that tiny space.

Good luck!
    Beautiful. I have yet to make a quilting room because most of the ones I have seen would not work for me. I like working in an area where I can only see the current project and I need a view. On quilting days, I set up my temporary quilting area and then pack it away when I am done. I think I could work in this area because of all the windows. Thanks for sharing.

Blog Entries
    Hilary, I love what you have done in a limited space. Thanks for sharing.

Linda

Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound, that saved a wretch like me. I once was lost but now am found, was blind, but now I see.
    [John Newton (1725-1807)]

http://sewextremeseams.blogspot.com/

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for sharing the blog site. Really enjoyed looking at the photos.
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkys_mom View Post
    I am fortunate to have a decent area for sewing. It isn't huge and I whine about it all the time but I've been so impressed by the sewing space of a blogger I follow. She lives in NYC and space is at a premium. This is her setup.http://madebychrissied.blogspot.com/...=+sewing+space

And while you are there, you can look at all the impressive quilts she has made in that tiny space.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by SewExtremeSeams View Post
    Hilary, I love what you have done in a limited space. Thanks for sharing.
    Thankyou!! I am happy spending time in here....tho sometimes I get a little overwhelmed by the amount of fabric I have!!! I will need to live to 150 to use it all!!! Need to get lots of scrappy quilts done!!! It beats housework !!!!!!
    Hilary

I am moving next week from a 2 bedroom apartment (1 bedroom was for quilting/stash) into a 1 bedroom with 2 walk-in closets. 1 closet dedicated to stash but now will be sewing in dining area. Anxious how that is going to work and look forward to seeing all the creativity blossoming in small spaces. :-)
    Quilting makes me happy!..

Hilary, Thank you! I think my DH could make shelves like yours in my sewing room.. I just never thought of it till now

Power Poster
    Can't wait to see your pics....

My room is 10x12 - not sure if that qualifies for tiny, put it certainly felt that way till last week. The bed doesn't help, but I'm not ready to give it up. My husband just modified a table for my Babylock Jane (love!). Did some rearranging and now I'm so happy with my space. It's not beautiful, but it works for me!
    Attached Images Attached Images

That looks like a great setup!! I love your yellow thread box!!!
    Hilary

10x12 wow! I would love to have so much room.
    CoventryUK I love how you use your space so well. I plan to add shelves just like yours.

I am currently a closet quilter.
    My sewing room is tiny it is 5'10 by 4'10 walk in closet.
    My Fabric stash is stored in a 3' by 2' closet in another room. Very convenient
    Name:  ZZ38D11655.jpg
Views: 496
Size:  108.3 KBName:  ZZ455D6027.jpg
Views: 491
Size:  86.6 KB

Thanks Hilary! My husband made my thread box too - how lucky am I?

Intimistic, i agree, size is sometimes a matter of perspective. My space doesn't actually fit in the "tiny" category, maybe to some it would be considered small, though. For many, many years was sewing space was my sewing cabinet in the family room - not ideal at all! You make great use of the space you have. And the quilts I can see look beautiful!
    Pat

I sew on an ikea table in my bed room. I have an old dresser in the closet for my fabric and an idea cube set up for other sewing stuff. I would love to have a dedicated room.
    Here is a picture of my sewing desk.
    Brother SQ9000, Baby Lock Crescendo

Slowly but surely restoring these lovely machines...
    Singer 66 (1929) Singer 27 treadle (1909) Singer 99 (1925)

Quote Originally Posted by Path50 View Post
    Thanks Hilary! My husband made my thread box too - how lucky am I?
    They do come in useful at times!!!! Hehe!!! Mine is very handy and supportive!!! He has lots of hobbies and keeps very busy...not enough hours in the day for him!!! I get lots of sewing time.....as long as I feed him now and again!!!!!
    Hilary

Intimistic your sewing space is great! It works for you and it looks beautifully organised!! I am not the tidiest worker but with a lot of encouragement from my QB friend Izy I am getting better organized!!! Enjoy your space.....it's yours!!!
    Hilary

I sew on the dining room table and supplies and stash are in one rolling cart and several bins stacked here and there. I hate that it's spread all over the place but have no other options at this time. It's hard to stay organized.

CoventryUK your room looks very well organized and very usable. Sometimes we are only limited by our imaginations. Everyone's rooms look very usable. What works for one doesn't always work for others.
    I have two large closets with the wire shelves to store my stash, batting, tubs of scraps, etc. I have kitchen cabinets for books, threads. I have base cabinets too with a 90" countertop. I store pictures albums, more books, magazines, clamps etc. in the base cabinets. I totally put everything away before starting a new quilt. I can't stand for it to get very messy.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

The Closet is working well for me at this time.
    I am able to close the door when I am done and know that the kids and the cats will stay out.
    Because I have many projects going at one time it is very nice to be able to leave some things out.

I enjoy seeing everyones else's spaces and it has given me many ideas.

My daughter bought and Armoir(sp?) at a thrift store. Her husband put a table that fold down in it. She opens the cabinet, All her 'stuff' is in the cabinet, thread bindings, etc and the machine comes out of it's cubby hole onto the sewing table. All in one corner of her family room. Another daughter as the same thing in her kitchen with her computer and craft stuff. They are neatniks. My is spread all over. My son just put a shelf on the bottom of my cutting table to hold the bins. It is working great.

Super Member QuiltswithConvicts's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    We recently moved & downsized. I tried sewing in the living room, but it was smack in the center of everything, so I moved into a corner of our bedroom. We have window seats that are nothing more than wasted floor space, to me, so I placed 5 shelving units in them. My stash & project bins are on them. I have a cutting table against a wall right outside the bedroom. Some things are stored in the computer room & other stuff is in the guest room. I even have quilts stored in giant bins in the garage.

Please pardon the dirty doggie quilt! I usually keep it clean, but I got busy re-organizing. Sorry.

Kathy

Super Member QuiltswithConvicts's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    P.S. Some day I plan on getting blinds in all the windows, but for now, I had some fabric that I wasn't sure what to do with, so I ran a casing up on them & shoved them on tension rods. I felt like we were living in a fish bowl.

An additional note. I no longer "quilt with convicts"!!! When we moved over here to Texas, I quit my job & now I babysit our two dogs. I can sew whenever I please, but I really miss the job & "my guys."
    Last edited by QuiltswithConvicts; 02-25-2014 at 03:57 AM.
    Kathy

Blog Entries
    Thanks for sharing your space Kathy. You have done a wonderful job.

Linda

Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound, that saved a wretch like me. I once was lost but now am found, was blind, but now I see.
    [John Newton (1725-1807)]

http://sewextremeseams.blogspot.com/

pw6
    I stored all my fabrics and things in clear storage containers in my walk in closet, I could see what I wanted without pulling all of them out.. you would not believe how much I had stored when we moved and I opened them all out..LOL..
    I sewed on my kitchen table and even had a hand quilting frame up in the living/dining room.. as I only had the two rooms and a nice large bathroom.. Good luck..

I use a small walk-in closet in an extra bedroom for supplies and have my sewing machine in an alcove. Got a fold down craft table from Handcock Fabrics, that is put in another closet when we need the room for guests.

My girlfriend has 5 sons, 4 still at home, so space is at a premium. She has a free-standing pantry cupboard in the breakfast area. She keeps all her fabric and her sewing machine in there. When she sews, she sets up a tv tray so she doesn't have to put the machine away for meals. No dedicated room for her hobby, but she has made dozens of quilts.
    Carol in Michigan

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast