Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 19 of 21 FirstFirst ... 9 18 19 20 ... LastLast

Thread: What are we organizing today (2017)?

Saturday I managed to declutter a shelf in my studio by using up all the tiny amounts of leftover paint in large squeeze bottles. I mixed them all together with some medium to make a lovely dark gray to overdye/paint a large ugly pink fabric remnent. Then I trashed the the squeeze bottles. it’s a shame they are not recyclable. But at least they are out of my space and have freed up half of a shelf that can be put to use for some of the stuff that’s currently cluttering my worktable. Yesterday I repaired some things that have been sitting on my worktable for months. Today I will put those things back where they belong now that they’re useable.

now to find something to get rid of today...

Rob
    1955 Singer Featherweight 221/ Late 60's early 70's White Selectronic 970/
    1975 Kenmore 158.1914/ 1981 Brother VX560/ Brother PC420PRW/
    Brother PQ1500s/ HQSweetSixteen

Lots of projects being accomplished!

I have a usable cutting/sandwiching area again! Wahoo! I resisted just shoving everything into a plastic tub and put everything away other than a small plastic dishpan-sized container. I am working on sorting the container out though.

I also emptied 2 small drawers from one of the craft drawer systems (about 2" tall drawers). I took the contents to school with me today and sorted one of the drawer's contents into like lengths-2, 3, etc, to 10.5. +" bags during my prep times. One of the benefits of this special Ed resource assignment is no prep needed during prep time. Lol! One bag is done! I will probably use the strips in scrappy rail blocks. Some of the students did ask what I had on the desk.

Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 367
Size:  110.1 KB
    Connie

Blog Entries
    Great use of down time! it seems the more I sort the more that crops up!
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho
    Nothing's too small...I love miniatures.

It felt good today to tidy up my sewing room somewhat. Still have more to do, but it looks 75% better, which means I am calmer. I'm in the process of painting a spare bedroom, so some of the stuff from that room had to be moved into my sewing room and hallway.

Every time I tidy up, I feel more and more incentive to chuck stuff, and it's cathartic to do so. There's also a very clear sense of self when you are mindfully ruthless about clutter. By that I mean, when you're over a certain age, you pretty well know yourself--the fantasy you and the real you. And you realize that constantly storing stuff, saving stuff, moving stuff from pillar to post, just drains you instead of invigorates you. That lightening up the digs actually lightens up the soul.

Well said, zozee!

Today I sorted another small drawer of strips by length - 2” to 10.5”+. Hopefully, I will get through one more small drawer tomorrow while I am on my subbing breaks. The teacher will be back on Thursday so I won’t have his nice clean desk and nice schedule probably again this year! Lol!

Name:  E2D4F075-E485-4184-ABD5-784FCA667762.jpeg
Views: 338
Size:  93.1 KB
    Connie

Lots of inspiring stories and words here - thanks!
    Today's my day to sew at the local quilt shop but then, I'm ready to get cracking. I bought a machine yesterday and need to make a space for it. I really, really want to play around with it so that's also motivation to get moving. Two bags for the thrift shop have been rattling around in the car for too long so those will go today.
    Have a great day, everyone.

Tomorrow, we begin paintmejudy's 19th mystery quilt!! I looked at my 2 boxes of batik and found appropriate fabric for
    this project. Then decided to sort by color & cut small pieces into 4 x 8" rectangles. The rectangles are for Kaffe's quilt called "Wagga Wagga" previously made in pure Kaffe. I ended up with a pile of small scraps for EPP or crazy sewing.
    That pile goes to the Give-Away table at the Guild. Oh my, I have room in the batik boxes to buy some new cuts!!
    Dotty in NYC

I snuck a couple of items into my neighbors yard sale today.....and they sold. My neighbor just said to bring more stuff tomorrow... Woohoo! Gonna do it again...I hate doing yard sales so this is way cool...
    Quilting therapy for the therapist...
    My Summertime Swap blocks: https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19923.html

Blog Entries
    Yes, I agree! I sorted and discarded some stuff in my sewing room today, too. Just a small change can make sure a mental difference. I felt like a million when I was through.

Big day planned today in the sewing room. Clearing out sewing room so I can dust and vac. Strings and Scraps containers will be sorted and/or emptied. Continue cutting scraps for Bonnie Hunter's Scrappy Happy Houses (one of her free patterns). leader ender projects (have 2 going) and finally, neutrals cut for another project. Clean sewing cabinet I bought on Sunday.

I didn’t do any organizing this last week due to eye surgery, but I’m ready to get back to it today. I have one tiny square that I need to get quilted for a bigger project, then I need to put my sewing room/home office/guest room back together. And I will find at least one thing to get rid of today.

Rob

My DH said I have to move my cutting table out of the loft and into my sewing/family recordkeeping/guest attic room. I spent the day yesterday moving furniture into multiple configurations trying desperately to open up a spot. Part of the problem is I can’t say ‘no’ to family pieces. So when one of my sisters passed away, I took her antique trunk. It’s big. At least it has a flat top. Another sister insisted I take Mom’s Victorian folding rocker chair. At least it folds. And then instead of pressing on my table top ironing board, another sister gave me her old and very cool folding seat/step stool/ironing board. Hey, at least I can use it to change ceiling light bulbs. And I can’t move the futon out of the room......it’s where guests sleep all cozy and warm in the middle of my UFOs. At least it’s a good place for my constant companion, Jackson, to snooze while I sew. I think the least smart thing I took was my sister’s sofa table last month. I visualized it in front of the window with houseplants. Unfortunately, that is where my desk/sewing machine table sat. But, hey, at least I can move my iMac off my desk and onto the sofa table. Now where oh where to put the cutting table?

Got "new to me" cabinet cleaned and now waiting for wax to come as final step. Found old thimble and measuring tape while cleaning cabinet-wedged in areas for who knows how long-woohoo! Still cutting scraps, sorting strings and having a great time. Bought a clear shoe organizer for back of door to hold small items like "made by me tags", index cards that I start and keep until a project is done (has dimensions for binding, notes...), marking pens and the small items I tend to misplace as I don't use them often but can't find when I need them. Ironed scraps last night to cut leader/enders for two projects. Again just having fun today.
    Last edited by AUQuilter; 04-15-2018 at 07:53 AM. Reason: spelling

Today I'm working on getting my office de=cluttered and I found something to put on eBay! Several years ago I bought one of those Big Look magnifiers for sewing machines and it was just not tall enough for my PQ1500s so I decided to sell it--it is now on eBay Yippee!!! now keep your fingers crossed that someone decides they want it...back to train got figure out what to do with paper clutter in my office.

Rob

Today I'm working on getting my office de=cluttered and I found something to put on eBay! Several years ago I bought one of those Big Look magnifiers for sewing machines and it was just not tall enough for my PQ1500s so I decided to sell it--it is now on eBay Yippee!!! now keep your fingers crossed that someone decides they want it...back to the paper clutter issue that has overwhelmed my desk.

Rob

I sorted & organized in clear shoe boxes squares & strips of various sizes and then did some cutting to kit blocks for the scrappy quilts. Tonight after early dinner, I am tackling the pantry...

Quote Originally Posted by Blueridgebeverly View Post
    My DH said I have to move my cutting table out of the loft and into my sewing/family recordkeeping/guest attic room. I spent the day yesterday moving furniture into multiple configurations trying desperately to open up a spot. Part of the problem is I can’t say ‘no’ to family pieces. So when one of my sisters passed away, I took her antique trunk. It’s big. At least it has a flat top. Another sister insisted I take Mom’s Victorian folding rocker chair. At least it folds. And then instead of pressing on my table top ironing board, another sister gave me her old and very cool folding seat/step stool/ironing board. Hey, at least I can use it to change ceiling light bulbs. And I can’t move the futon out of the room......it’s where guests sleep all cozy and warm in the middle of my UFOs. At least it’s a good place for my constant companion, Jackson, to snooze while I sew. I think the least smart thing I took was my sister’s sofa table last month. I visualized it in front of the window with houseplants. Unfortunately, that is where my desk/sewing machine table sat. But, hey, at least I can move my iMac off my desk and onto the sofa table. Now where oh where to put the cutting table?
    Phew, I'm exhausted just reading all of that. Good luck!

Not sure why my both my original post with the typos and my edited version both showed up. Sorry for the repetition...

Rob

Woo-Hoo! I got all the furniture to fit. Now I have to figure out where to put all the fabric. I did put some in storage containers under the cutting table. Has anyone had a bad experience storing fabric in plastic bins? You can see my two buddies. Jackson is on the futon and Georgia is next to the desk. Mostly Jackson hangs with me and Georgia hangs with my DH.
    Name:  EF861444-F7FA-4D62-B95E-46E75A0EBB1C.jpeg
Views: 155
Size:  1.28 MB

Blog Entries
    BlueridgeB...this looks like it's working....nice sunshine!
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho

Looks good Blueridgebeverly!

Hooray! Got the underbid container emptied of scraps and misc. items. Almost done sorting the scraps- keep, sell or donate piles. Kept scraps get cut this week and put in the storage boxes.

Went through the "ugly bag", a huge recycle bag full of wrinkly, cut-out, odd shaped fabric remnents, and turned it into nice pressed 10, 9, 8, 6 and 5 inch squares and decent little rectangles. Watched my dining room table pile up with the "free" pre-cuts!

Pulled out all batting scraps from the closet and piecing them together for Project Linus quilts. I had tops already completed and was getting ready to purchase batting. Then, I realized I had rolls and bags of scraps (no smaller than 10" X 24", but most 24" X 80") trimmed from previous quilting. So far, I am able to piece together batting for at least 4 quilts. That's just my Warm and Natural batting. Then, I have a huge bag of Quilter's Dream wool batting. My commitment is to NOT purchase any more batting until I use this up! I ran out of the iron-on tape to join the batting.....so now, I'm sewing them together. What a great feeling to use this for a good cause!

Blog Entries
    What a great score, NoraB! And just think of all the space you will have with that excess bulky batting used up!
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho

Page 19 of 21 FirstFirst ... 9 18 19 20 ... LastLast