Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
What are we organizing today (2017)? >

What are we organizing today (2017)?

What are we organizing today (2017)?

Old 10-23-2017, 10:05 AM

I miss my mom every day, too, but she passed away only four months ago. Still doesn’t seem real that I can’t pick up the phone and call her.

Do you have a plan for how to complete those 14 legacy quilts in progress? Birth order of recipient? Most complete one just finish up? Random drawing?
Old 10-23-2017, 02:10 PM

Put all my fabrics on comic book cardboards, using bobby pins. Separated them into colours and batiks.
It sure does condense your stash. Looks pretty pitiful compared to a lot of what I see on here. But I do I have a LOT of blue.

Watson
Old 10-23-2017, 05:29 PM

Sorted and folded the mini stash of Christmas/Winter holiday fabrics, it is just 1 small shelf 1 foot square.
Old 10-24-2017, 09:08 AM

Zozee, I am sorry for the loss of your mother. It will get better with time and you will find yourself thinking of her every day.....with love and gratitude for what she meant in your life. Here is a poem I got years ago...it is so true:

--------------------------------

Your Mother is always with you. She’s the whisper of the leaves as you walk down the street, she’s the smell of certain foods you remember, flowers you pick, the fragrance of life itself. She’s the cool hand on your brow when you’re not feeling well, she’s your breath in the air on a cold winter’s day. She is the sound of the rain that lulls you to sleep, the colors of a rainbow, she is Christmas morning. Your mother lives inside your laughter. She’s the place you came from, your first home, and she’s the map you follow with every step you take. She’s your first love, your first friend, even your first enemy, but nothing on earth can separate. Not time, not space…not even death.
Author--unknown

----------------------
Peace be with you.

-----------------------------

I started with making quilts for my 4 brothers and sisters and my son. I did not gift those until all 5 were done. Then, I made for the their children and did not gift until they were all done. Those were all in 2016. These last 3 are for her sisters and they will be gifted when all are done (hopefully before Christmas). Whew.....In between, I've done Quilts of Valor, Project Linus quilts and 1 gift quilt for an anniversary. Slow, steady progress. I never want to rush. I love quilting and want to continue having it make me feel joyous!
Old 10-24-2017, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by NoraB View Post
Zozee, I am sorry for the loss of your mother. It will get better with time and you will find yourself thinking of her every day.....with love and gratitude for what she meant in your life. Here is a poem I got years ago...it is so true:

--------------------------------

Your Mother is always with you. She’s the whisper of the leaves as you walk down the street, she’s the smell of certain foods you remember, flowers you pick, the fragrance of life itself. She’s the cool hand on your brow when you’re not feeling well, she’s your breath in the air on a cold winter’s day. She is the sound of the rain that lulls you to sleep, the colors of a rainbow, she is Christmas morning. Your mother lives inside your laughter. She’s the place you came from, your first home, and she’s the map you follow with every step you take. She’s your first love, your first friend, even your first enemy, but nothing on earth can separate. Not time, not space…not even death.
Author--unknown

----------------------
Peace be with you.

-----------------------------

I started with making quilts for my 4 brothers and sisters and my son. I did not gift those until all 5 were done. Then, I made for the their children and did not gift until they were all done. Those were all in 2016. These last 3 are for her sisters and they will be gifted when all are done (hopefully before Christmas). Whew.....In between, I've done Quilts of Valor, Project Linus quilts and 1 gift quilt for an anniversary. Slow, steady progress. I never want to rush. I love quilting and want to continue having it make me feel joyous!
THank you so much for your post and condolences and the poem. Wow, how true that is. And you know what? Something in your last paragraph reminded me of her: "I never want to rush." "Rush" and "hurry" were both 4-letter words. She liked to be thoughtful, thorough, careful. She most enjoyed rocking babies to sleep and being an eldercare nurse--slow was her favorite speed. When she was in a coma, the nurses asked "What does your mom like and not like? WHat would she appreciate?" I say, "Warm blankets, fresh breath, and no rushing." They had to rush to save her life in the flight to the hospital, and then hurry with fluids and meds and ventilation in ICU to keep her alive till my sisters could get there from out of state. But while she was just resting and sedated (while any of us family members were "supervising"), they respected the pace we said she'd want if she could speak.
Old 10-24-2017, 03:45 PM

So sorry for your loss Zozee. I hope your wonderful memories bring you some comfort.

Thanks to all that share their organizing tips and inspiration here.
Old 10-25-2017, 09:06 AM

Watson, thank you for reminding me of bobby pins! That's one of those phrases I've not heard in awhile.....for some reason, it makes me laugh to hear it! Wondering if the youth of today have heard of "curlers"? hahaha

Has anyone purchased this product below? (Sorry, I can't figure out a way to get the picture in there). I've seen it at Nancy's notions, and also at Hobby Lobby. (it comes in small, medium and large). Wondering if it would consolidate stuff that I seem to have in little bins.

If anyone has one, please let us know what size and what you use it for. It seems I have so much on the cutting table and any other surface that is flat......trying to put it somewhere else. But, I'm one who works best if something in in my sight! Thanks for any input!

Creative Options Medium Rack System
Old 10-25-2017, 11:17 AM
Power Poster

NoraB is this what you are asking about? I'm like you..like my things within reach and oh those horizontal surfaces get messy soooo fast!

https://www.keepsakequilting.com/cre...um-rack-system
Old 10-25-2017, 06:11 PM

Yes, OKSEWGLAD, that's it! I've seen them in pink and black at JoAnn's and Hobby Lobby. Does anyone have one? How do you like it?
Old 10-28-2017, 05:59 AM

I bartered a box of stabilizers for two sacks of scraps. Yesterday I got the first sack sorted, pressed, and ready for cutting into my own version of pre-cuts. There are a lot of childrens prints and day of the dead bits, way too fun, stuff I've never had in my own stash. freshens the whole stash