Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
What are we organizing today (2017)? >

What are we organizing today (2017)?

What are we organizing today (2017)?

Old 06-28-2017, 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by tessagin View Post
Getting closer to finishing the sewing/guest bedroom. One more coat of paint according to the hubs. A little darker than the meringue but called Rite of Spring. It's a soft yellow. The meringue was almost whte. Looked like an apartment color.
I hope you're going to post pics when you get it finished! Sounds pretty.

Rob
Old 07-12-2017, 01:10 PM

Sewing room re-org:

13 x 26

Cleared East end. Cleaned up East and south single windows, hung curtains/sheers toppers
Stacked boxes bins etc in SE corner.

Customized bedroom closet, two tier, hung up 2 cardboard wardrobes worth of clothes, out of the sewing room, ditto stack of 4 boot boxes & a stack of hats.

made room in dining room, moved piano out of sewing into dining room

Hung five 1x4's 83" long between two windows, to hang oddments on, little shelves, bins, etc. moved sewing desk under the wooden racks.

Cleared & cleaned SW corner, hung a set of shelves on the wall in the corner, with a small chest under it.
Old 07-12-2017, 02:12 PM

Put away t-shirts I've gathered for a t-shirt quilt. Cut 2 bags of left over batting into 4 inch squares for a denim quilt. So far have used up 35 yards of batting scraps - my cupboards and closets don't seem any emptier tho!
Old 07-12-2017, 04:45 PM

GOLLEEE, quiltmouse! That's a lot of hard work and organization. Wow, I'm impressed. How long have you been at it?

Nammie--kudoes on using batting scraps. They are a lot of work, too.

I could use some cheerleading right now. A pep talk. I need to declutter and clean my sewing/guest room in the next 4 days because I'm hosting my brother-in-law starting Monday. I'd put him in the other spare room but it's only got a twin bed (with footboard) which he can't fit into as a 6'5" man.

I just am having a really hard time making headway in this room. Encouragement would be very much appreciated. I'd rather be starting a new quilt, but I promised myself i wouldn't till it's cleaned up. When it's cleaned up ,it'll be out of commission to me for sewing in order to give Tony some privacy. I hate to say it, but I hope he goes and spends a few nights next week at a different brother's house. I like my happy place. LOL

Last edited by zozee; 07-12-2017 at 04:54 PM.
Old 07-12-2017, 05:02 PM

Zozee: You can do it! You might need to use my trick and shove it in boxes or a closet or two until after he leaves. . Sometimes those boxes take me a long time to go through because other things come up.

Maybe setting a timer for 15 minutes each morning, afternoon, and night will help you get started.

Good luck!

Connie
Old 07-12-2017, 05:10 PM

Zozee, you can do this! Connie is right about setting the time for 15 minutes. Once a few 15 minutes sessions pass you will really see progress. And there is nothing wrong with putting the last items in a bin or two and leaving them stacked in the corner. If you have some things to bind, do that while you enjoy time with your brother! We're cheering for you! Go, Zozee!!!!
Old 07-12-2017, 10:22 PM
Power Poster

Oh Zo, I know the feeling...had to clean out one of my rooms at the last minute last weekend...I was able to put things where they belonged, but left the quilt hanging on the design wall. This week end another overnight guest so room is ready...yeah...then last week of July a party of 5 and I will need both bedrooms and the Gkids' small playroom with the futon, which means I will have to work on bedroom#2 and over see the grands' "cleaning" Honestly less work if I do it myself, but they have to learn too. The 15 minute timer sounds like a great idea, Connie...my ADD sets it's own timer..and I'd rather be sewing! You can do it!!!

Today had a great day with my Quilt Buddy. We each have gone through scraps to make a quilt using alternating 3 1/2" squares and 3 strip rail fence blocks. She's using country colors and I'm using brights...we've shared fabrics in each. We are in the sewing stage so sat all afternoon mindlessly sewing the rail fences and caught up on each others lives without having to think about what we were doing. The afternoon flew!
Old 07-13-2017, 04:25 AM

You can do it, Zozee-- and remember, it doesn't have to be perfect. In my house the rule is that if the guest can get to and from the bed without tripping over my sewing stuff that's good enough

Rob
Old 07-13-2017, 09:44 AM

Thank you all. I know I can do this. I'm a real proponent of the 15-minute timer. I also like to do a "27 thing fling " , a motivational bit of advice from the fly lady. Another bit of advice I heard long ago was "do the worst first."
I'll combine the 3 and get rid of 27 things in 15 minutes, starting with the floor. I think there are 27 things under my sewing desk and cutting table alone. I'm tempted to take before and after pictures. Do I dare show the world the current mess? Or just trust you to believe me? Oy .
Old 07-13-2017, 10:16 AM

zozee, thanks for the kudoos! Let's see.

Going from my photo record
6/3, I cleared & moved a set of sewing shelves out of one of my two closets
from then until 6/17, I packed & boxed. A friend who is a housekeeper helped me & we shuffled the pile to the basement.

6/17-east end of sewing room cleared, cleaned, 2 windows treated
7/1-kitchen pot rack
7/2 & 7/4-customized my bedroom closet from 1 rod to 2 & moved in
7/5-moved the piano
7/8-hung the oddments wood & then the oddments
7/9-moved the sewing desk & hung the closet shelves on the wall.

I haven't done much in the evenings this week, recovering, I guess.

Anyway, zozee, You can do this! Sis Boom Bah!