Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
What are we organizing today (2017)? >

What are we organizing today (2017)?

What are we organizing today (2017)?

Old 05-03-2018, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by zozee View Post
This space looks great. I know what you mean by "not finished." I think every sewing space is constantly evolving. Mine is about due for another clean-out. I like your tidy stacked Iris bins. Are they not top-heavy, though?
Well, I have most of the fabric in the bottom ones... they aren't really full going all the way up, and the top ones will have just stencils and rarely used notions. Heavy yardage/ quilt backings I keep in a box in the closet.

That's It I Quilt!
Old 05-03-2018, 01:19 PM
Power Poster

Wish my space would look so neat and tidy...enjoy the space That's It! Meanwhile Faintly Artistic is going to enjoy all that room..please share when you get a chance!
Old 05-03-2018, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by rryder View Post

Now I need to get back to my decluttering mission. Time to go look for something to throw away, donate or sell...

Wish me luck...

Rob
Hi Rob, I do wish you much luck decluttering!

Speaking from the experience of selling a house and having to clear out 20+ years of accumulated clutter...a few years ago I can say that making and keeping a space calm is a constant battle.

Mantra: "Every day, give something away" (even if it winds up in recycle)...

After the downsize, I've gotten used to living smaller and free-er, and I couldn't be happier with the sewing corner space I created...

Thats It I Quilt
Old 05-03-2018, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by rryder View Post
Sillysusan- every little bit helps. Keep it up and you’ll get those stacks tamed!

yesterday I threw out a bunch of stuff (actually put it in the recycle bin) and also put some books in the donate box. Didn’t get and entire shelf cleared off, but it was a groundbreaking moment for me to decide that I am not going to re-read every book that Faulkner wrote- Ikve been hanging on to these books for 40 years thinking I’d like to re-read them some day- that means I’ve moved them to 7 different houses... it felt good to decide to let them go.

today I am going to look through my gardening and DIY books to see if there are some I am ready to part with.

Rob
You’ve inspired me to get to the basement and fill one box of books for donation. We used to own an old historic home, and I collected a bunch of antique books for display in study. They’ve sat in boxes for a decade now. Just one hour in the basement and I’d have a box to donate to our local library. Any one like old history books? Pay the postage and they can be yours?
Old 05-12-2018, 04:36 AM

Today I am going to Sort through the hore books and decide which ones to donate to the barn. That should free up n entire shelf on my bookcase.

Rob
Old 05-15-2018, 04:41 AM

That's-it-I-quilt, what a nice sewing space. Now you can enjoy it.
Old 05-18-2018, 06:33 AM

Holey Moley.....I've always thought I was organized and tidy, especially when it comes to sewing and quilting. I just took a look at my sewing room and it looks like a tornado hit it and added some things I didn't realize I had! I'm in the middle of sewing a quilt top.....but, I'm finding I have to move things from one side of the cutting table to the other side just to get things trimmed. So.........everyone......what's on your cutting table right now? I'm trying to figure out if I have too much stuff on the surface right now and what "should" I have on there. I continually encroach on my cutting table surface and now realize it's not working with all the stuff on it.

Here's what is on it right now (which is way too much). Any helpful suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

The table is 60" long by 40" wide.

In the corner (where it L's to my sewing table) is the little television on a lazy-susan.

Cutting mats cover the complete surface of the table.

A little pink organizer thing on a stand that holds my reading glasses, paper-cutting scissors, small magnifying glass and miscellaneous things in the main compartment.

A metal heart-shaped basket that holds small batting pieces for wiping up machine oil, a bottle of Synthropol, small bottle of hand lotion and the 2 tv remotes.

One circle pin cushion that my mother made.

A wool pin cushion that was my mother's.

At the back of the table - small basket with fake flowers in it (yup you guessed it......was my mother's).

A wooden box made of old yardsticks (my father-in-laws) that holds miscellaneous strips of fabric that I've categorized into little containers by size.

A circle paperweight, a marble paperweight.

The rotary cutter holder (green thing from Nancy's notions) - holds 45 and 60 rotary cutters, Klutz glove and has a hold for a pencil.

Whatever rulers I have out for cutting the specific piece I'm working on.

That's it.....the rulers are on my sewing table in the "L".

There are little shelves on both sides of the cutting table and they have what I use daily.....marking pencils, paper for doing my "math", machine oil, bobbins, etc. (Those shelves are pretty well used and organized).

I just need help on the surface of the cutting table. What's on top of your cutting table? I need suggestions, guidance and inspiration. Thanks!
Old 05-18-2018, 09:28 AM

This is too funny. Yep, there's always something on my cutting table, too. Right now:
1. A quilt that needs to be put away,
2. Pair of pants that needs to be hemmed
3. Roll of masking tape
4. 1 lg ruler
5. Book I've been using
6. Scraps of fabric I'm trying to decide what to do with.

Yesterday, my post surgery cast was replaced on my right hand. Have more use of my fingers. Another week & quilting will resume.
Old 05-19-2018, 04:13 AM

Originally Posted by petthefabric View Post
This is too funny. Yep, there's always something on my cutting table, too. Right now:
1. A quilt that needs to be put away,
2. Pair of pants that needs to be hemmed
3. Roll of masking tape
4. 1 lg ruler
5. Book I've been using
6. Scraps of fabric I'm trying to decide what to do with.

Yesterday, my post surgery cast was replaced on my right hand. Have more use of my fingers. Another week & quilting will resume.
Good for you, Pet! You have only 1 week to pick out the fabrics and the pattern for that new quilt you'll start sewing in just 1 week!!
Old 05-19-2018, 05:52 AM
Power Poster

I can't find my cutting mat, it's so cluttered...