Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
What are we organizing today (2017)? >

What are we organizing today (2017)?

What are we organizing today (2017)?

Old 04-28-2018, 08:08 AM

The quilting board and this post (among others) has really given me forward motion on getting stuff organized and out of the house in some cases.

Yesterday, I dropped off a bag marked "Salvage clothing" to local Goodwill. They take it and eventually it's shredded and reutilized to make other things. So, some of the old, ripped, stained clothing is out of my closet and onto another journey.

Then, I washed and labeled the Project Linus quilts I've finished (finally) and took them to the Project Linus drop off. There were a total of 7 quilts. So, yipee, fabric, batting, thread.....all going to a good cause. The fabric and batting were scraps......so glad to be able to utilize for a good cause.

Today, I will go thru a closet with my son's college books and papers. I'm emailing him to see what he wants kept (and will end up at his house) and the rest will be recycled. We are lucky to have recycling for paper, glass, fabric, etc. And, my husband does the compost thing.

So, everyone keep up the good work and be sure to post on this thread. It's motivating to the rest of us and allows us to celebrate your accomplishments too!

Everyone have a great weekend!
Old 04-28-2018, 09:20 AM
Power Poster

I am on a yard work break...raking some pine cones out of the grass. i was reminded of my country school days..we raked the school yard every spring. One year I was paired with an older classmate...she told me we were combing Mother Nature's hair. That's stuck with me for almost 60 years!
Old 04-30-2018, 01:24 PM

Some libraries have used book sections. Some book stores take used books.
Old 05-03-2018, 04:19 AM

Default Sewing and Quilting Corner

Ok, here is the final result. (Not really final, but good enough for now...) I don't have a dedicated sewing room, as we did a downsize a few years back. So my sewing corner is in a room that doubles as office and occasional guest space. But, Iris drawers, a couple of sewing-cabinets, and a re-covered chair that came my way... plus ruler folding all the fabric (no not yet sorted by color, but at least I can *see* it!) resulted in a space that is more inviting....
Thanks for looking!
~That's It I Quilt!
Attached Thumbnails sewing_corner.jpg  
Old 05-03-2018, 06:20 AM

Good Job That's_it_I_Quilt! So tidy and neat.....ready for a project! Beautiful!
Old 05-03-2018, 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by oksewglad View Post
I am on a yard work break...raking some pine cones out of the grass. i was reminded of my country school days..we raked the school yard every spring. One year I was paired with an older classmate...she told me we were combing Mother Nature's hair. That's stuck with me for almost 60 years!
I love that idea. I'm lawnmowing, about an acre. 17000+ steps. I've picked up four wheelbarrows of cones and there are some out there again this morning. Long needle pine. Total mess in the fall also. But it is beautiful and offers some sun protection so it stays.
Old 05-03-2018, 07:48 AM
Power Poster

Ah there is a price to everything, isn't there, KalamaQuilts? Taking another break from yard work...planted a few plants, dug a couple of daisies and replanted...now have some daylilies to do the same...Have to get it done before it rains again. and the weeds are popping up!
Old 05-03-2018, 09:58 AM

We just moved a few weeks ago and I got the large loft for my sewing space. It's all in the room, but need to figure out where a few more things will go. Hubby put up a 6'x8' area of insulation on the wall, needs to be covered with fleece for my design wall. He also painted a 3'x5' drafting table for me for my cutting/pressing station. It has 2 very large, shallow drawers in it, perfect for rulers, etc. He mounted a power strip along one side so I can turn light and iron on with the push of a button. Of course, I got to sewing before everything was organized...need to take a day and finish.
Old 05-03-2018, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by Thats_It_I_Quilt View Post
Ok, here is the final result. (Not really final, but good enough for now...) I don't have a dedicated sewing room, as we did a downsize a few years back. So my sewing corner is in a room that doubles as office and occasional guest space. But, Iris drawers, a couple of sewing-cabinets, and a re-covered chair that came my way... plus ruler folding all the fabric (no not yet sorted by color, but at least I can *see* it!) resulted in a space that is more inviting....
Thanks for looking!
~That's It I Quilt!
This space looks great. I know what you mean by "not finished." I think every sewing space is constantly evolving. Mine is about due for another clean-out. I like your tidy stacked Iris bins. Are they not top-heavy, though?
Old 05-03-2018, 12:42 PM

Thats-it-I-quilt- Your space looks great!!!

I've spent the last several days doing yard work also. Put in a new 3'x6' raised bed to hold more veggies. Still have another 3'x3' raised bed to add as well, but I need to shift an existing raised bed slightly to accommodate the new 3'x3', so that's on hold for the moment, just too hot to do much today. Monday we put more tomatoes, peppers, okra and eggplants in. Still have some baby chili peppers that are not quite ready for transplanting, and haven't put the cucumbers or beans in yet.

I also bailed all the water out of our teeny tiny pond, removed the excess sludge and leaves, then divided the water iris, moved some other plants around, pulled the pump/filter out of the pond and took it apart and cleaned it (in the buckets of pond water) cleaned the impeller, etc. then put it all back together and back in the pond hooked up to the spitter, put all the water back in (minus the excess sludge) and topped it up. Everything is now working great! Already have lots of lily pads since we had a pond heater in there, so they got a head start this year. Last night we heard the male Copse Grey Tree Frogs gathering down there chirping away trying to entice some females, so we should have tadpoles in a couple of months time.

Frankly, after doing all that, I was quite surprised to wake up this morning and actually be able to move LOL!

Now I need to get back to my decluttering mission. Time to go look for something to throw away, donate or sell...

Wish me luck...

Rob