Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
What are we organizing today (2017)? >

What are we organizing today (2017)?

What are we organizing today (2017)?

Old 04-18-2018, 05:56 AM

Looks good Blueridgebeverly!
Old 04-18-2018, 06:11 PM

Hooray! Got the underbid container emptied of scraps and misc. items. Almost done sorting the scraps- keep, sell or donate piles. Kept scraps get cut this week and put in the storage boxes.
Old 04-19-2018, 03:55 AM

Went through the "ugly bag", a huge recycle bag full of wrinkly, cut-out, odd shaped fabric remnents, and turned it into nice pressed 10, 9, 8, 6 and 5 inch squares and decent little rectangles. Watched my dining room table pile up with the "free" pre-cuts!
Old 04-19-2018, 07:28 AM

Pulled out all batting scraps from the closet and piecing them together for Project Linus quilts. I had tops already completed and was getting ready to purchase batting. Then, I realized I had rolls and bags of scraps (no smaller than 10" X 24", but most 24" X 80") trimmed from previous quilting. So far, I am able to piece together batting for at least 4 quilts. That's just my Warm and Natural batting. Then, I have a huge bag of Quilter's Dream wool batting. My commitment is to NOT purchase any more batting until I use this up! I ran out of the iron-on tape to join the batting.....so now, I'm sewing them together. What a great feeling to use this for a good cause!
Old 04-19-2018, 12:30 PM
Power Poster

What a great score, NoraB! And just think of all the space you will have with that excess bulky batting used up!
Old 04-19-2018, 04:30 PM

Congratulations AuQuilter, Thats_It_I_Quilt, and Nora B for taming scraps!
Old 04-20-2018, 04:19 PM

I am working on setting up my space so it's better for sewing. Then, I'll take pictures before I have to get everything folded up and moved for company on Tuesday. Hopefully, this way I can get it all back to the proper places once they leave. Not that I'm wishing them gone before they come, just trying to plan ahead.
Fortunately, I found a piece of the exact color I needed to finish a curtain project without having to buy more fabric. That felt great and wouldn't have happened if I wasn't cleaning and organizing. A win, win...
Old 04-22-2018, 06:20 AM

Today I am going to tackle the studio where I keep my big cutting table. I’m not sure what to do in there- the main problem is that Iuse it for too many different things. My jewelry bench, metals, semi precious stones etc. and all tools (except for my oxyacetylene torch) are in there against a wall that also has the desk where I keep my Sizzix Big Shot Pro and a bookcase with doors that holds various glues and chemicals. Another wall is all windows and that is used for a small table holding a toaster oven (for polymer clay) and all my sketchbooks, a long table that holds my encaustic tools and a cedar trunk that contains my lace and silk collections- it stays closed and the top surface is used to hold encaustic supplies. The next wall has a small shallow closet that is used to store items that I use infrequently and a series of bookcases that hold all my drawing, painting and printmaking supplies. The final wall has a door right in the middle- on one side are two drawer carts holding more supplies and some small finished artworks, the other side holds a rack that has my tool boxes, stero equipment and another drawer cart with hardware.

The center of the room is taken up with my big cutting table, my drawing table that is butted up against it and a large metal cart that holds archival boxes of finished drawings on two shelves and all my art paper on another shelf. The top of this cart is a nice work surface that I use along with the drawing and cutting table when painting fabric.

I used to have all the jewelry stuff in our detached garage, but several years ago it was broken into and some tools were stolen. At that point I moved all the valuable materials and my jewelry tools into the house.

Wish me luck...

Rob
Old 04-22-2018, 07:42 AM

Blueridgebetty- wow is right. Your original post did sound exhausting, but you have sure come through by the time you took the photo! Looks good. What a great room!! I too have a tendency to take others cast offs, why oh why do we do it?? I have plenty of my own crap with out adding others!
Old 04-22-2018, 08:15 AM

Today is annual pull all gear out and cabinets away from wall so the baseboards can be vac/wiped day. Got it all out and taking a quick break here. Putting it back takes so much longer. My scrap cutting has been progressing and will continue for another few days. Emptied the underbed storage container of batting scraps (sewed them together-Thanks Nora B for your post) and other things that make you go "What, why, gone". Last night, I went through 5' charms and took out a collection I know I will not use. Grabbed a few for current projects. Thats_it_I_Quilt, great job on cutting ugly scraps and getting those precuts free.