Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
What are we organizing today (2018j >

What are we organizing today (2018j

What are we organizing today (2018j

Old 08-17-2018, 11:11 AM

Today I'm trying to corral my various art supplies into some old darkroom trays that I found. They're perfect for containing all that misc. stuff like paint bottles, brushes, etc. and fit on my bookshelves. Plus they're sturdier than the cardboard boxes that I've been using and they can double as liquid containment systems when doing anything messy.

I'm also going through my art technique books and sorting into donate, give away and sell... but it's slow going because I find myself stopping to read them

Rob
Old 08-17-2018, 04:32 PM

Rob: It does take forever to go through books and magazines, doesn't it? Good for you for repurposing those dark room trays.

I finished a few projects over the past month and I am slowly putting all of the leftover fabrics back along with 'who knows where this came from' fabric that is on my table. LOL! I suspect donations to my church group that I sort through is the source for the 'who knows" fabric.
Old 08-18-2018, 04:21 AM

I'm going to work on organizing my sewing room and fabric room today. I had them pretty decent and then things got out of hand over spring and summer.
Old 08-20-2018, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by rryder View Post
Hey all, I just realized that we are still posting on the 2017 thread so I thought I’d start a new one here.

post your organizing goals for the day, week or month, along with any tips, tricks or encouragement you find helpful.

Here’s my tip: before you start organizing, look around your space and see if there is any trash laying around. Get rid of that first. It is amazing how helpful this has been for me. In my case I often find that there are things I intended to fix (for years), broken bits that I meant to creatively re-use but have been taking up space for so long I forgot what I was going to do with them or the last dregs of paint, glue etc. that I have saved so long it is now hardened and unuseable- these things are trash just as surely as are the no-longer working pens that seem to multiply. While detrashing, I also grab things that can be recycled, for example, paper trash that is untainted by food will be scooped up while I’m removing trash and placed in a recycle bin. The point is, first get rid of the stuff that belongs in either your trash can or recycle bin. It’s amazing how much work space I can reclaim with that simple exercise, and the sense of accomplishment at completeling that task seems to help me stay on track for doing the harder work of sorting what's left.

Today I’m going to tackle the walk in closet that is next to my home office.

Rob
Today: Aug 20th 2018: Scrap Management so I can use the bin for another project.
Old 08-21-2018, 04:46 AM

I'm setting myself the modest goal of getting everything off a table that was supposed to be a work table but has turned into a stuff table. Who knows what's under all the layers of stuff? It's like an archeological dig through the last year or so of my life.
Old 08-22-2018, 01:56 AM

Originally Posted by Mitty View Post
I'm setting myself the modest goal of getting everything off a table that was supposed to be a work table but has turned into a stuff table. Who knows what's under all the layers of stuff? It's like an archeological dig through the last year or so of my life.
it’s amazing how work tables turn into “stuff” tables... good for you for deciding to tackle it. One thing I found helpful was finding a box that was large enough to hold all the stuff that had become a permanent fixture on my main work tables. Some things had never been assigned a home and that was why they were floating around my horizontal surfaces for all those years. Having a box that could be their tempoary home while I put away the things that did have designated spots helped make the task a little less overwhelming. I still have a layer of detritus that seems to want to float around my studios, but it is gradually getting smaller as I find spots for those items. And by having a box to put it in I can quickly clear my work tables when I need a large surface.

Rob
Old 08-22-2018, 03:08 AM

I have trouble after finishing a project finding space for the little dab of this and that. The distraction overtakes me. I've come to the conclusion it's best to bag the odds and ends up and give them to someone.

Interesting comment on the permanent residents on the work table. I have squatters there also.

Marcia
Old 08-22-2018, 03:35 AM
Power Poster

I'm doing a purge similar to Zozee. It's hard starting but gets easier as you stay in the mindset. I'm so tired of "stuff".
Old 08-22-2018, 08:27 AM

I just finished some pillowcases. Needed to do some "mindless" sewing and thought I'd use some stuff I already have. I cut out homespun for a rag quilt and pulled out the blue Tupperware bin labeled "batting scraps". It's sitting in the middle of the floor and I'm cutting the batting I need for the rag quilt using those scraps. Anything too small is cut into little bits and goes straight into my "dog bed" stuffing container. (I have 2 bags of stuffing so far). My hope is that the "batting scraps" bin will become emptier, the rag quilt will be completed and at least 2 dog beds will go out the door this week. But, it seems the more I do, the more I find to do! But, I consider it "organizing"!
Old 08-22-2018, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by NoraB View Post
I just finished some pillowcases. Needed to do some "mindless" sewing and thought I'd use some stuff I already have. I cut out homespun for a rag quilt and pulled out the blue Tupperware bin labeled "batting scraps". It's sitting in the middle of the floor and I'm cutting the batting I need for the rag quilt using those scraps. Anything too small is cut into little bits and goes straight into my "dog bed" stuffing container. (I have 2 bags of stuffing so far). My hope is that the "batting scraps" bin will become emptier, the rag quilt will be completed and at least 2 dog beds will go out the door this week. But, it seems the more I do, the more I find to do! But, I consider it "organizing"!
Nora, just reading your post, I can tell you are an organized woman at heart

Like you, the more I do the more I see that needs to be done. Or should be redone. But sometimes that's when a little ADHD is a good thing....I can quickly move on to something else