Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: What size room do I need?

What size room do I need?

We are building a small home and my husband has asked me to design the dream sewing room! I'm so grateful but overwhelmed at the same time. I have two sewing machines, want a nice big cutting table, room for an ironing board with extender (the big boards to put on top of the ironing board), and maybe one day have a smaller longarm. I prefer to have room for two people to sew at the same time (so my mom and I can work in there together when she visits).

What size room should I request? I know part of the floor space will be taken up with cabinets for organization and storage, so I must consider this.

Please dream with me. I do need to keep it on the smaller side, but am curious about minimum size you think I will need. Thank you, ladies!

A room about the size of a master bedroom would be nice. If your building a small home a room that size shouldn't make the house layout a bit odd.

Now if it was to be a separate building, a room the size of my husband's shop would be wonderful, 24x 30.

And I found this house layout. It has the perfect size sewing room.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/e8/96...aae9172805.jpg
    Last edited by Chasing Hawk; 09-19-2018 at 09:29 AM.
    Everyone is born right handed, only the gifted overcome it.
    I have already committed my felonies, so people don't have to worry. (Russell Means)
    I swear to you, I am guilty of only being Indian. That's why I am here. (Leonard Peltier)
    “If you can’t see a mistake from 12 feet away, it doesn’t exist, and there are no perfect quilts and that helps a lot,” .......Greg Biornstad

I'm not sure of what finished size room you need but suggest you start with the longarm. Research the one you are interested in and get the measurements. You will want at least 30" on each side and the same on at least one end. I had my longarm against one wall on the end which worked. After I moved I didn't have to do that and it is nice. I got plenty of exercise going around the whole thing all the time. My longarm is on wheels so I could put it against a wall and move to the other side when I wanted to change from front to back or the reverse. I never had to do that and would avoid it as it is just more work to deal with. Once you know how much room you'll need for a longarm you can add to the space to create your full sewing room.
    Sally

The footprint of a longarm/midarm is bigger than you would think, so start there. I had a 15' x 20' room which was perfect, until I got the longarm. Then I had to get really creative - my cutting station and big board ironing board were on wheels, so I could move them out of the way when I needed to longarm.

If I could build a new sewing room, it would be a minimum of 20' x 30'.

Quote Originally Posted by Chasing Hawk View Post
    A room about the size of a master bedroom would be nice. If your building a small home a room that size shouldn't make the house layout a bit odd.

Now if it was to be a separate building, a room the size of my husband's shop would be wonderful, 24x 30.

My dream house!!!
    1955 Singer Featherweight 221/ Late 60's early 70's White Selectronic 970/
    1975 Kenmore 158 model 1914/. 1981 Brother VX560/ Brother PC420PRW/
    Brother PQ1500s/ HQSweetSixteen

Go bigger that you think you'll need, trust me you'll be glad you did!!! I am now having my carport closed in to give me more room and my current one is 12x18.

Quote Originally Posted by Chasing Hawk View Post

That is hilarious! Great advice, too Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by selm View Post
    I'm not sure of what finished size room you need but suggest you start with the longarm. Research the one you are interested in and get the measurements. You will want at least 30" on each side and the same on at least one end. I had my longarm against one wall on the end which worked. After I moved I didn't have to do that and it is nice. I got plenty of exercise going around the whole thing all the time. My longarm is on wheels so I could put it against a wall and move to the other side when I wanted to change from front to back or the reverse. I never had to do that and would avoid it as it is just more work to deal with. Once you know how much room you'll need for a longarm you can add to the space to create your full sewing room.
    Thank you! Great suggestion!

Quote Originally Posted by RonieM View Post
    The footprint of a longarm/midarm is bigger than you would think, so start there. I had a 15' x 20' room which was perfect, until I got the longarm. Then I had to get really creative - my cutting station and big board ironing board were on wheels, so I could move them out of the way when I needed to longarm.

If I could build a new sewing room, it would be a minimum of 20' x 30'.
    Thank you! It is nice to have some "dream dimensions."

I'll give the same advice that my dad gave my husband when my husband was building a shed in the backyard. "If you have decided on the size, double it." DH didn't and he has always said he should have listened to my dad. You will use the space you give yourself and expand.

How big is the planned house? Double the size. That ought to give you a good sized sewing room!

Seriously, it depends on how much 'stuff' you have accumulated over the years, how much of it you plan to keep and how much you plan to add.

If you can swing it, ask for a 15'x15' room. (I would love a sewing room that is minimum of 20'x20', which is a little smaller than a roomy 2 car garage.) That should give you most of the room you need. However, no matter how much room you actually have, it is never enough.

Also, would the long arm be on a frame or on a table? That makes a difference. Long arm takes up a lot more room, even a 'small' one.
    Last edited by cathyvv; 09-19-2018 at 03:12 PM.
    A quilt is like a good life. It's full of mistakes, but, in the end, it looks pretty good.

Mine, too, but it would also have to have at least 6 garages for my husband and his stuff.
    A quilt is like a good life. It's full of mistakes, but, in the end, it looks pretty good.

I don't know what would work for you, but my sewing room sits over the two-car garage. It holds my longarm, one sewing machine, a big cutting table, and tons of fabric. I can function in it very nicely, yet I wish it were bigger. When I was moving and looking for a house, I had to pass up a number of homes because they didn't have a space for the longarm. I wound up with a home that was bigger than I needed, only because the smaller homes didn't have a separate room large enough for the longarm. I envy your ability to design and build your own home with the sewing room of your dreams.

Correction needed: My husband's shop is 24' x 36'.

I have two sewing rooms both are about 12 x 14.

One has my cutting table, sewing machine, embroidery machine and ironing board along with the bulk of my fabric.

The second one has my sit down longarm machine along with some odds and ends.
    Last edited by Chasing Hawk; 09-19-2018 at 03:35 PM.
    Everyone is born right handed, only the gifted overcome it.
    I have already committed my felonies, so people don't have to worry. (Russell Means)
    I swear to you, I am guilty of only being Indian. That's why I am here. (Leonard Peltier)
    “If you can’t see a mistake from 12 feet away, it doesn’t exist, and there are no perfect quilts and that helps a lot,” .......Greg Biornstad

Power Poster
    one can "make do" with a small space, but go as large as you can.

Ask for 60x80 and let us know what he says🤣

I would hazard a guess that it depends on what/how much you're planning on putting in it, if for instance a long arm on a frame, takes up quite a bit of room. My sewing room is a separate building and it's 14x32 and it's NOT big enough. LOL

Chasing Hawk- that's my dream room also!
    Sara- I don't have any advice but it's so exciting that you can design your room! I hope you will keep us posted and good luck

Now THERE'S a house plan with all the priorities straight!

Blog Entries
    No matter what size you build, you'll wish you had it bigger. Space has a tendency to fill up. I had to have 5 storage racks just for my stash. I also have an "ironing station" which is a changing table with a tall cabinet on one side and three large drawers.

Maybe you could just ask your husband to build a one story house with all the normal rooms....LR, kitchen, bedrooms baths etc and to add a one room second floor to fit the footprint of the main floor for your sewing room. Then you would really have a great size room depending on how much square footage the main house has. Oh and be sure to include an elevator to make it easier to access. A large elevator! and a bathroom of course.
    You did say dream sewing room!! That would be mine.

As big as possible. It will fill remarkably fast.
    All my grand-children have paws.

My thoughts exactlly.

Statesville, NC formerly Orlando, FL and surrounding area
    If you are going to have a basement, I would make it the length and width of the house, finish it and use that as a sewing room.
    Margaret

"If the devil could dance in empty pockets, he'd have a ball in mine."

Life is a coin. You can spend it any way you wish but you can only spend it once.

If you can get measurements of all you plan on having in there might even double it and lay it out on graph paper. Then plan from there. My sewing room is 32 by 18 and it isn't big enough. The long arm takes up half of that and I have 4 other sewing machines set up in there. there is no room for a big layout/cutting table. It started out being the master and bath but I am single so don't need that much room in a bedroom so made it all one room for sewing. couldn't go any bigger wish I could have. Since you do have a chance to get what you will need always go bigger. Remember to take into count your movement around the room and machines while you are sewing.
    Lynda

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast