Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: What size room do I need?

DJ
    What a wonderful project!

I don't know what size room you would need, but you have some great advice here.

I think it's a blessing to be able to sew with your mom. With that in mind, you might consider a multi-purpose sewing table for her where you could lower that machine and have a flat work surface when she's not sewing with you.

Have a blast planning this one!

Quote Originally Posted by Chasing Hawk View Post
    A room about the size of a master bedroom would be nice. If your building a small home a room that size shouldn't make the house layout a bit odd.

Now if it was to be a separate building, a room the size of my husband's shop would be wonderful, 24x 30.

And I found this house layout. It has the perfect size sewing room.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/e8/96...aae9172805.jpg
    LMBO, my dream house too, except I'm not sure I really want to waste space on that huge kitchen.
    Linda Wedge White

I believe UFOs are like scraps, ferns and dust bunnies. Once you get two, they send spores out into the air and more just happen anywhere the spores meet.

A room about the size of a master bedroom would be nice. If your building a small home a room that size shouldn't make the house layout a bit odd.

Now if it was to be a separate building, a room the size of my husband's shop would be wonderful, 24x 30.

Yes, this is the same size “dream sewing area” I showed my husband. I also want the bathroom to be big enough that I do not have to straddle the toilet to close the door......perhaps I should just ask that the door swing out so I will have more sewing space......
    Last edited by Ellen 1; 09-20-2018 at 09:58 AM.

Power Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Ellen 1 View Post
    Yes, this is the same size “dream sewing area” I showed my husband. I also want the bathroom to be big enough that I do not have to straddle the toilet to close the door......perhaps I should just ask that the door swing out so I will have more sewing space......
    Put in a sliding door or hang a curtain in the doorway.

Quote Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
    Put in a sliding door or hang a curtain in the doorway.
    We opted for folding shutter style doors. They work great! Put them on the closet too. Very pretty frosted glass panels.
    Linda Wedge White

I believe UFOs are like scraps, ferns and dust bunnies. Once you get two, they send spores out into the air and more just happen anywhere the spores meet.

So funny chasinghawk and all others. Been laughing out loud.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Love Chasing Hawk's house plans. When I check out house plans I always pick out the biggest room for my sewing room. I have a friend that said she would take the master bedroom for her sewing room and one of the smaller bedrooms to sleep in. It would have it's own bathroom and a large closet for her stash.

Laughing out loud at the house plan. I am currently finishing my basement into a sewing studio. Sounds larger saying studio !!! Will post a thread on my project when it is finished.

Perfect!
    Patrice S

Bernina Artista 180, Singer 301a, Featherweight Centennial, Rocketeer, Juki 2200 QVP Mini, White 1964 Featherweight

Blog Entries
    Like Dunster, I have a large space over a two car garage and it is very roomy but I know once I set up a longarm I will soon wish it was a bit bigger. We can’t wait to see what you come up with.
    attitude is everything...the rest will fall into place.

I suggest 20x20 or about the size of a garage. Depends on if you get a long arm, maybe a smaller sit down machine like the Babylock Tiara will work for you. Think about the future and things you might want to try like machine embroidery, they take up a lot of space and so does all the stuff you need to embroider. Also, how old you are, how long do you think you can continue to sew and quilt. How is your health and do you have any physical limitations like arthritic hands, mobility issues etc.

Blog Entries
    Reminder - when planning a room on paper, it will look a look a lot bigger than it will actually be! My suggestion is to go into an 'empty' space (like a garage) using tape or chalk mark or flat pieces of cardboard, mark out the bigger pieces you will need (desks, cutting table, ironing space). Now, you will see the real size of the area. I would use the wall that can later be used for a small longarm as your current cabinet wall. Whenever you get a longarm, cabinets can be changed and moved, but, currently it will give you easy access to your stuff. Also, the area underneath a cutting table is a great storage area. Think about the side of the table to hang rulers and other large flat items. A couple roller drawers or shelf units are great under there. And pegboard or shoe racks on the back of doors keep items close at hand but organized. Please post pics when it is done - and does your terrific husband have single brothers??? He sounds like a gem!!!

mac

Chasing Hawk, I was drinking my coffee when I was reading your comment and clicked on the website. You made me snort my coffee and I chocked on it from laughing so much. That was too funny!

Blog Entries

HAHAHAHAHA!!! This made me actually laugh out loud!!! I'd say, Go for it!!
    "... let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us."

Blog Entries
    If I had my choice that’s what I’d have chasing hawk. But, I did redo the garage. I don’t think it will be big enough for my machines n stash. My garage is 17 by 21 plus a ramp being built along the house wall so I can go in n out comfortably. When it’s all done I will show more pics. I have a separate thread on here with unfinished pics. Started by amyjo

I just make sure everything continues to fit in my sewing room. I have the largest bedroom in the house and use my DR if I need to.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Something else to think about is where you want it. I was using the finished side of our basement (about 15’ x 30’) and it was fabulous, but I didn’t like being downstairs and away from everything (“everything” being my husband lying on the couch and my dog lying on the floor). I moved my sewing room up to the spare bedroom (moved the BR to the basement) and I sew a lot more. Like my dog, I want to be with my pack.

Also, and this is probably in every sewing room post I’ve written, put stuff on wheels! Pressing tables and cutting tables can be rolled out of the way easily allowing you to customize your room when you need to.

And go big!
    I love the smell of Best Press in the morning!

I would put in a large walk-in closet for storage of fabric, batting, and all that other stuff that doesn't have to be within arm's reach.

Love this idea!!!

Quote Originally Posted by zozee View Post
    Ask for 60x80 and let us know what he says藍
    I'm totally cracking up over this...especially since my husband wants a 60x60 shop! LOL Maybe I could have the entire second floor of the shop for my work space. hahahahaha!

Quote Originally Posted by Onetomatoplant View Post
    Something else to think about is where you want it. I was using the finished side of our basement (about 15’ x 30’) and it was fabulous, but I didn’t like being downstairs and away from everything (“everything” being my husband lying on the couch and my dog lying on the floor). I moved my sewing room up to the spare bedroom (moved the BR to the basement) and I sew a lot more. Like my dog, I want to be with my pack.

Also, and this is probably in every sewing room post I’ve written, put stuff on wheels! Pressing tables and cutting tables can be rolled out of the way easily allowing you to customize your room when you need to.

And go big!
    I'm so glad you mentioned being with the pack. I was thinking that I would be fine with a totally isolated room, but now I'm thinking a loft overlooking the living room/kitchen would be better for me. And, everything on wheels -- genius! Yes, m'am! I will do that. Thank you so much!

Quote Originally Posted by Mitty View Post
    I would put in a large walk-in closet for storage of fabric, batting, and all that other stuff that doesn't have to be within arm's reach.
    I mentioned to my husband that I would either like a walk-in or a whole wall of closet so I can open when working, close when I am done for the day. Thank you for the tip!

Quote Originally Posted by klswift View Post
    Reminder - when planning a room on paper, it will look a look a lot bigger than it will actually be! My suggestion is to go into an 'empty' space (like a garage) using tape or chalk mark or flat pieces of cardboard, mark out the bigger pieces you will need (desks, cutting table, ironing space). Now, you will see the real size of the area. I would use the wall that can later be used for a small longarm as your current cabinet wall. Whenever you get a longarm, cabinets can be changed and moved, but, currently it will give you easy access to your stuff. Also, the area underneath a cutting table is a great storage area. Think about the side of the table to hang rulers and other large flat items. A couple roller drawers or shelf units are great under there. And pegboard or shoe racks on the back of doors keep items close at hand but organized. Please post pics when it is done - and does your terrific husband have single brothers??? He sounds like a gem!!!
    Thank you for the tips! No, his brother is married. And, yes, my husband is a gem. Of course, he loves that I support his hobbies -- hunting, fishing, flying airplanes, etc. Also, we are moving to a new state, away from family and friends, for his job. So, he wants me to be happy with my sewing/quilting room. My two main outlets for socialization will be church and quilt shops, so we need to have a house where I am eager to invite people over and visit, sew, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by rjwilder View Post
    I suggest 20x20 or about the size of a garage. Depends on if you get a long arm, maybe a smaller sit down machine like the Babylock Tiara will work for you. Think about the future and things you might want to try like machine embroidery, they take up a lot of space and so does all the stuff you need to embroider. Also, how old you are, how long do you think you can continue to sew and quilt. How is your health and do you have any physical limitations like arthritic hands, mobility issues etc.
    Thank you for your suggestions. Part of me is totally fine with an upstairs loft, but then I think about the stairs and what if my knees give me trouble, etc? I am 46 years old now, so stairs aren't an issue for me. They might be one day. I have to keep this in mind when planning the house, don't I? Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarasewsandstuff View Post
    I'm totally cracking up over this...especially since my husband wants a 60x60 shop! LOL Maybe I could have the entire second floor of the shop for my work space. hahahahaha!
    I think you should have him reserve a space for his coffee pot and a small refrigerator in his garage. Oh yes and a bathroom. You keep the rest of the house that he “use to” occupy for you sewing area. Hahahaha

Forgot to say about the 2nd floor, here are the negatives to that idea:

Stairs (need a small lift, especially for getting the sewing machine up and down) :-)
    Fumes (automobile)
    Noise (wood working??? Or whatever he does in his HUGE garage!!
    Last edited by Ellen 1; 10-03-2018 at 11:53 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast