Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
What size room do I need? >

What size room do I need?

What size room do I need?

Old 10-03-2018, 11:59 AM
Power Poster

Y'all are so funny and creative! Until we moved here I had no place good to sew. My stuff was all in a walk in closet in bins. It was sometimes too much trouble to take it all out. Then I didn't like having it strewn about while I worked on something. When we moved here, there is enough room for me to have a small bedroom with a nice sized closet. The other advantage is that we have a walk out basement and a previous owner built nice shelves. So what I am not using is down there. Plus I don't have a stash. Just a couple bins of scraps. I have tables out for cutting and around the sewing machine I use for FMQ. I can put another sewing machine or serger on one of the tables. I got a big board for my ironing board. It is small but really functions well for me because I don't need everything I own to be in that room with me. If I got a long arm, I could rearrange and put the dresser downstairs and it would work. I have several carts on wheels which work well for me. I have one of those big white cutting mats and I put it on top of the dining room table when I glue baste my quilts. I came from nothing so I am thrilled with my current set up, small as it is.
Old 10-03-2018, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by Sarasewsandstuff View Post
I'm totally cracking up over this...especially since my husband wants a 60x60 shop! LOL Maybe I could have the entire second floor of the shop for my work space. hahahahaha!
Remind him that it's cheaper to build up than to build out. You don't have the added costs of extra foundation.
Old 10-03-2018, 01:43 PM
Power Poster

I'm totally cracking up over this...especially since my husband wants a 60x60 shop! LOL Maybe I could have the entire second floor of the shop for my work space. hahahahaha!
That really could be a viable idea.

Plus, you could put in a powder room - so he can clean up before he comes in - and you could do what you needed to without having to go into the house.

How is your ability to go up and down stairs. You could put an elevator/lift in it. My cousin put a small elevator in their house.
Old 10-03-2018, 01:51 PM

Default Sewing room

We are building a small home and my husband has asked me to design the dream sewing room! I'm so grateful but overwhelmed at the same time. I have two sewing machines, want a nice big cutting table, room for an ironing board with extender (the big boards to put on top of the ironing board), and maybe one day have a smaller longarm. I prefer to have room for two people to sew at the same time (so my mom and I can work in there together when she visits).

What size room should I request? I know part of the floor space will be taken up with cabinets for organization and storage, so I must consider this.

Please dream with me. I do need to keep it on the smaller side, but am curious about minimum size you think I will need. Thank you, ladies!
I have a a 20x20 and it's not big enough and I don't have a longarm.
Old 10-07-2018, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by Stitchnripper View Post
Y'all are so funny and creative! Until we moved here I had no place good to sew. My stuff was all in a walk in closet in bins. It was sometimes too much trouble to take it all out. Then I didn't like having it strewn about while I worked on something. When we moved here, there is enough room for me to have a small bedroom with a nice sized closet. The other advantage is that we have a walk out basement and a previous owner built nice shelves. So what I am not using is down there. Plus I don't have a stash. Just a couple bins of scraps. I have tables out for cutting and around the sewing machine I use for FMQ. I can put another sewing machine or serger on one of the tables. I got a big board for my ironing board. It is small but really functions well for me because I don't need everything I own to be in that room with me. If I got a long arm, I could rearrange and put the dresser downstairs and it would work. I have several carts on wheels which work well for me. I have one of those big white cutting mats and I put it on top of the dining room table when I glue baste my quilts. I came from nothing so I am thrilled with my current set up, small as it is.

So, I'm actually like you in that I don't have a stash. I have two small tubs (the sweater size, a little larger than shoebox size) of scraps. I can't lock the lid on them, but still...that's all I have. And....I'm wanting a longarm, but not sure if I "need" one. I'm hearing what you are writing. Thanks for your honesty and for helping me refocus on the simplicity I long for. :-)
Old 10-11-2018, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by Chasing Hawk View Post
A room about the size of a master bedroom would be nice. If your building a small home a room that size shouldn't make the house layout a bit odd.

Now if it was to be a separate building, a room the size of my husband's shop would be wonderful, 24x 30.

Too Funny! i had to go to the site to see.

And I found this house layout. It has the perfect size sewing room.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/e8/96...aae9172805.jpg

HaHa to funny, I had to check it out.
Old 11-06-2018, 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by Maggie_Sue View Post
Laughing out loud at the house plan. I am currently finishing my basement into a sewing studio. Sounds larger saying studio !!! Will post a thread on my project when it is finished.
Please do. I am in a daylight basement and like it a lot. It has plenty of space but more importantly I can connect with my family. I have my ironing set up in the media section of downstairs. I have storage all over the house. It also has a mini kitchen.
Old 12-31-2018, 09:46 PM

Here is a pic of part of studio if I can get to load [ATTACH=CONFIG]606052[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 8aa7a039-81d5-43a1-8f6e-d38937fd1c42.jpg  
Old 12-31-2018, 09:50 PM

My room gets to be 17 x 21 ft plus I have ramp goes north to landin then turns south to floor. I used the landing to put a bookcase and my lateral file cabinet, but I can’t get that one to load. Also have my roll of warm n natural up there on the way down the ramp, I must say the ramp took a lot of my space but I needed it since I was sick this summer