Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
What are we organizing today 2019 >

What are we organizing today 2019

What are we organizing today 2019

Old 07-15-2019, 04:38 AM

ka9sdn, here is the pattern that I use. I contacted Craft Passion to see if it was o.k. to use their pattern for the charity that I send them to & they said "yes". I make 4 sizes & reduced the small pattern slightly to fit babies. No hospital in my area would take them but I found an organization in Massachusetts that would & they distribute them to hospitals up there.

https://www.craftpassion.com/face-ma...ing-pattern/2/
Old 07-21-2019, 03:40 PM
Power Poster

As I contemplate how to make my LA space my sewing space I evaluated what I have. One of the pluses of this room is the WIC. But it's filled with fabric..fabric I have not used in years. I used to go to craft shows (35 years ago) selling machine appliqued items. One of my best sellers was children's sweatshirts made from scratch and embellished with cute designs. By color blocking I was able to make the most of my yardage. Believe it or not I still had scraps from this endeavor. I have sorted the smalls and cut them in wash cloth sized rags from MrOk and son to use in the barn. Each cow's teats are individually cleaned and wiped dry before milkers are attached. My cleaning is their boon as sweatshirt fabric make excellent barn towels!

So the idea is to clean out the WIC and rid it of fabric I won't use...single knit fabrics are next on the list. I have 3 shelves of a 30" wide steel shelf cleaned off! The yardage I hope to use as backings to kids charity quilts. Right now 13 yo has a piece of sweatshirt fleece on the LA with the fleece side on the outside. Will be soft to the touch.

Back to the closet! I have a feeling this will be a long term project.
Old 07-21-2019, 04:26 PM

Way to go oksewglad! Great use of the sweatshirt fabric! I wished I lived closer because Bundles of Love uses the knits for making newborn T-shirt’s, gowns, and sleepers. Oh, well. I know you will find a good home for them.
Old 07-21-2019, 05:49 PM

DGS and I just finished unpacking 35 boxes in the garage (we moved 5 years ago and surgery and illness has kept me from getting into the boxes). We finally found my thread and serger (all were boxes labeled books and packed by movers - and there was a token book in each box...). We took 20 bags of stuff to the charity drop off, donated yarn to some boy scout projects, took 7 boxes of outdated records to a shredding event and organized the rest. We have about 15 boxes to go. I am going to add shelves to the garage to hold the totes of fabric that occupy the other side of the garage. I have new, smaller and more useful tables for my sewing room but it is so small that I have to practically empty the room to get the old tables out and put the new ones in -- a slow project because DGS (he's 16) tells me I have to inspect everything before I move it and I want take things out in an organized manner . I have to finish before school starts because then I loose my help.
Old 07-22-2019, 05:21 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by retiredteacher09 View Post
Way to go oksewglad! Great use of the sweatshirt fabric! I wished I lived closer because Bundles of Love uses the knits for making newborn T-shirt’s, gowns, and sleepers. Oh, well. I know you will find a good home for them.
Thanks for this bit of info, Connie! I live about 30 miles from 2 different BOL groups and will check into this. Tahnks again...G
Old 07-22-2019, 02:59 PM

I'm impressed by those who are actively organizing their stash and/or space. I've worked a little bit on bathroom drawers, purging old stuff. I haven't cleaned out enough, but it has to be done for now. I'm teaching another week of summer camp this week so house work slides down in importance. (It's not high on my list, anyway!)
Old 07-22-2019, 04:38 PM

Quiltnlady: Way to go! Thankful for your grandson.

oksewglad: I thought you were close to the Rochester BOLC.
Old 07-22-2019, 06:05 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by retiredteacher09 View Post
Quiltnlady: Way to go! Thankful for your grandson.

oksewglad: I thought you were close to the Rochester BOLC.
Actually that one is farther away. I have written down contact info for them. Again, thanks for the suggestion.
Old 07-24-2019, 08:33 AM

Y'all are motivating me . I need it because I'm worn out from painting the full bathroom upstairs while hubby was away 4 days. (Wanted to surprise him as well as not be "supervised"--ahem .)

We are having a family reunion and some of his kinfolk (love that word) are staying with us starting Aug 5 or 6 through 11. I always see a punch list to do when "company" is coming. One of the couples will get the queen bed in my my sewing room. Thankfully i've been tidying and purging a little at a time so I'm not feeling overwhelmed (yet).
Old 07-24-2019, 08:46 AM
Power Poster

Nothing like having company to give us motivation, zo! I was waiting for company to go, before I started my task. My home has been a swinging door since mid June when we left for a week and have company in the house while we were gone...seriously it was only my sister...but man we've had someone here ever since until last Friday!