Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
What are we organizing today 2019 >

What are we organizing today 2019

What are we organizing today 2019

Old 07-31-2019, 01:22 PM

wow! we had our first 6 hour decluttering/organizing session today with 4 folks helping. My 2 helper and I concentrated on my office and the part of the studio that extends into that space and the attached walk in closet. DH and his two helpers worked on his studio space. I can't believe the amount of stuff that got taken out of our house- either to recycle, trash or donate.

The declutterers took all the stuff out of the spaces and sorted it so that like things were with like things. Then they called us in to make decisions about what we wanted to keep. The rest got carted away immediately and then they put the things away that we had opted to keep. It was very intense, but I am really happy to have the closet space and most surfaces in my office/studio freed up. Next time they come back they will work on finishing up DH's studio and my office and textile studio. We are saving my painting studio for the fall-- it will be even more labor intensive due to the amount of stuff to be dealt with.

We have some homework to do before they come for the second session which is on Aug. 12. I am really glad that we decided against having the two sessions back to back- would have been very overwhelming. As it is, I can now walk into my walk in closet and there is a designated spot for everything that is currently in there. I expect I'll sleep well tonight- as long as I take an Aleve at bedtime LOL!

Rob
Old 07-31-2019, 02:42 PM
Power Poster

Wow Rob, that sounds amazing.
Old 07-31-2019, 03:01 PM

Congratulations, Rob. You guys have really been in beast mode with your decluttering coaches. I applaud all that effort and tenacity. Making decisions, struggling more with some than others, standing, sitting, lifting, bending—it’s a workout!

Good for you!
Old 07-31-2019, 05:41 PM

Congratulations, Rob! I can’t imagine having a 6 hour day that was that intense. Sleep well tonight.
Old 08-01-2019, 03:57 PM

Rob, Thank you for sharing your journey. Congrats on the progress. It sounds like the helpers were the ticket for your situation.

I have cleaned, dusted and re-organized my little bedroom. DGson sleeps in there when we have sleep overs. There are new dino sheets ready for his visit next week. It feels good to walk in there and see everything sparkling clean.
Old 08-04-2019, 06:29 PM
Power Poster

Decluttering is such a chore! Kuddos to you Rob.

I've been working in the farm office, catching up on bookwork...another never ending job. But I also threw lots of paper away. I have to be careful of what I must keep and what can be tossed, so one has to check each paper and file appropriately. It would be so much easier if I do it right away! Not only are there financials, but cow information. Each animal has an ID paper and milk production papers. And because animals are born and sold off it's a constant rotation. I like to keep genealogical files on sold animals because of past production history. We have a lot of "dead" cows in our 50 year history of farming! Next week I'm going to have the Grands help me with those papers to update those files and to weed out the "families" we have no descendants in the herd. Many hands make light work...or so they say.

And for more fun I've been working in the WIC...why oh why did I keep some of this stuff. I have wool squares from skirts I work in the 60's....yikes...they are going into the burn pile. I have retrieved some gray and black and a few other solids that would work for applique, but the majority of it is going going and gone. Washing off shelves now and putting clean fabric on clean shelves. Local donation store and BOL are going to be big benefactors. I shouldn't have sat down...don't want to get up and get going...zozee where's your energy drink from a few days ago?

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 08-06-2019 at 02:32 AM.
Old 08-05-2019, 04:22 PM

Way to go oksewglad. Great idea to involve those grandkids in the record keeping. I had a MN map lesson yesterday when I was trying to find the closest BOLC to you. I forgot there were some closer than Rochester until you mentioned it in the Fabric Moratorium.
Old 08-05-2019, 07:21 PM

And for more fun I've been working in the WIC...why oh why did I keep some of this stuff. I have wool squares from skirts I work in the 60's....yikes...they are going into the burn pile. I have retrieved some gray and black and a few other solids that would work for applique, but the majority of it is going going and gone. Washing off shelves now and putting clean fabric on clean shelves. Local donation store and BOL are going to be big benefactors. I shouldn't have sat down...don't want to get up and get going...zozee where's your energy drink from a few days ago?[/QUOTE]

Sounds like you took at least a sip of it! I have needed it as I've been busting my buns getting ready for family staying with us. BIL and SIL are coming Weds, having a crab feast at our house along with all our kids and grandbabies (first time the BIL and SIL will be meeting the twins), then their two grown daughters and a son-in-law will descend on Friday. Family reunion Saturday.

Oh, and did I mention I decided to paint the guest bathroom two weekends ago while DH was out of town? Well, DH had to fix some of my woopsies (I'm an imperfectionist who likes change) and then he announced Saturday that it needed a new floor. You know how , once you fix up one thing, the thing next to it looks blah? So he installed a new floor in the bathroom yesterday, and we bought tile for the kitchen backsplash because he is finally (after 5 years) ready to tackle that. Funny how having company coming "lights a fire under your butt"! My sewing room is the queen guest room and it hasn't looked this good in a very long time! Ditto the master BR. We're going to let our niece and her hubby have it this weekend since it's their first vacation without kids in ...maybe ...forever? (They have two teens and a 5 year old.)

The thing that prompted this whole reunion was that his brother (the one coming in on Weds with his wife) just found out his melanoma from 7 years ago, has returned and there is now a spot on his lung. He wants to see everyone now and have a great time as they might not be coming to Baltimore again.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 08-06-2019 at 02:31 AM.
Old 08-05-2019, 08:12 PM

My basement and sewing room has been my summer project. The area is unfinished with clay splatters on the wall from the build. I wasn’t liking my sewing space as it was cluttered, hard to find what I wanted, gloomy, and just not inviting.
I went on a mission and started dining storage units on Facebook Marketplace for cheap. As hubby and I would clean up the pieces I began folding and organizing fabric. I went away for a retreat and when I came back I found a great surprise - Hubby painted walls and adhered insulation to the walls. It brightened up the space. He also added some lighting as well.
Im getting ready to go back to school and I can at least go knowing my sewing Studio is clean, organized and my happy place. I love my new “Sewing Studio”.
Old 08-06-2019, 06:17 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by RobinW View Post
I went on a mission and started dining storage units on Facebook Marketplace for cheap. As hubby and I would clean up the pieces I began folding and organizing fabric. I went away for a retreat and when I came back I found a great surprise - Hubby painted walls and adhered insulation to the walls. It brightened up the space. He also added some lighting as well.
Im getting ready to go back to school and I can at least go knowing my sewing Studio is clean, organized and my happy place. I love my new “Sewing Studio”.
It sounds like your hubby is a wonderful man who loves you a lot and wants you to be happy!