Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
What are we organizing today 2019 >

What are we organizing today 2019

What are we organizing today 2019

Old 08-07-2019, 05:03 AM

Thanks y'all. I'm actually starting to enjoy the decluttering. I never thought I'd say this, but I'm actually having fun letting go of the stuff.

Welcome to the thread, RobinW- sounds like you are well on your way.

Keep up the momentum everyone!

Rob
Old 08-07-2019, 06:39 PM

I have been cleaning off my ironing/cutting tables again! How do those tables collect all the clutter?

After a conversation with my sister about where our irons are compared to our machines, it dawned on me that my new arrangement was convenient because I could just turn my chair around and iron from the sitting position but I wasn’t getting the movement like before. I have two banquet tables together so I switched the ironing board to the opposite side of where I sew and put the cutting area behind my sewing chair. Now I will get a few more steps in hopefully because I tend to press often.

My organization piece was that I finally went through a small box of mainly scissors of different sizes from my DMIL. I have had them for nearly 9 years and today I tested them all and put the ones that didn’t work back in the box, sealed it with tape, and marked it with sewing-scissors, pins, needles, and rotary blades. It will go out with the garbage tomorrow. I will keep a few of the other scissors and donate the rest to a charity group. There was a very good pinking shears in the box so I switched it out with my old one. Will I ever use a pinking shears again? Maybe, maybe not but it will stay,

It feels good to have that simple job done.
Old 08-08-2019, 05:50 AM
Power Poster

Yes it's so convenient to just turn and press, but the older I get the more i have to get up and moooove! I like your plan, RetiredT.
Old 08-08-2019, 07:35 AM

Rob, do you mind my asking if it is that you're doing a Marie Kondo type of organization? I've watched a few of her shows on Netflix and it has been incredible to put that way of thinking into action in regards to my own space! I've managed to cut back on clothing and articles galore. Though I'm not doing it all at once, but tackling one space at a time -- I am loving the results.
Old 08-08-2019, 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by miniquilts View Post
Rob, do you mind my asking if it is that you're doing a Marie Kondo type of organization? I've watched a few of her shows on Netflix and it has been incredible to put that way of thinking into action in regards to my own space! I've managed to cut back on clothing and articles galore. Though I'm not doing it all at once, but tackling one space at a time -- I am loving the results.
hi Miniquilts, not doing Marie Kondo. That’s more extreme than what I’m doing. I’ve been doing some decluttering off and on for the last couple of years just to make it easier to keep the house clean. I’ve managed to do a fair amount in our living spaces on my own, but DH and I are both artists and our studio spaces were terrible and overwhelming. so I hired a declutterer to help. The first day with the declutterers we worked on DH’s studio and my combination office/quilting studio and the walk-in closet off the office part. On Monday we will finish up those spaces. We will work on my painting studio later in the fall.

Rob
Old 08-08-2019, 08:05 PM

Yeah, I can't see just pitching tons of "stuff" like Marie Kondo does -- but her folding methods for clothing and fabric are great. Not to mention it has helped me to let go of some, which is good. Major kudos to you and your DH for taking on that amount of decluttering. I know my art with my dollhouse and miniature making ironically takes up a good bit of space, so I can only imagine with two artists under one roof!
Old 08-08-2019, 08:10 PM
Power Poster

In my quest to organize I have also been going through kids fabrics. My junior sewing posse enjoys sewing kids quilts. With that in mind I have been measuring the wof pieces so that quick quilts can be made. Also have a bunch of juvenile scraps I can cut down; will make 5" charms for use in I Spy quilts. 10 yo has chosen a setting that takes 36 of them for a girl's quilt and another with a farm theme. I have created designs in EQ and have figured out fabric requirements for setting sashes and borders. Then wrote up directions for 3 small and 1 throw size quilts. There will be several quilts for the girls to sew between now and next summer. I want to have kits ready so they can just start cutting and sewing. Time to call it a day.
Old 08-10-2019, 03:59 AM

I see the floor emerging from the abyss...as in....organizing, purging, donating what I don’t need. I have been organizing “kits” of projects since last winter. The clutter discourages sewing. I bought a 5 shelf wire shelving unit on casters and put my storage drawers on it. I have made so much progress in the last 3 weeks since I put this up.

When I read about she-sheds I wonder why someone would want another “house” to care for. Yes, they are cute. Yes, if one long arms...I can understand having a space or the machine. No,..in regard to throwing in my winter clothes and tromping across the yard in bad weather ....Also, more space equals more stuff. I am my worst enemy.
Old 08-10-2019, 05:25 AM
Power Poster

Sandygirl I'm still in the chaos stage..can't wait to get to things on the shelf. What fun it will be to grab a kit and get going!

I totally agree on the sheshed idea...must be our Midwest winters that make us want to stay indoors!
Old 08-17-2019, 09:00 AM

My new home build is coming along and my sewing studio is coming to life. They are texturing the interior walls now so it won't be long before the millworker starts the built-ins... The walk-in closet will have built in shelves measured to accommodate bolts. One wall will have a Murphy bed so I have a second bed for my family when they visit but, when not in use it will be my design wall. I cannot wait!! I stopped at the showroom for the Quilter's Box in Utah last month and, tho it's really pretty and quality built, it won't work for me.