Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: What are we organizing today 2019

Blog Entries
    Is there anyway those blankets can be used in lieu of batting, NoraB?

I always make a mess when deep cleaning too...
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho
    Nothing's too small...I love miniatures.

NoraB: My church quilting group uses some of the thinner blankets inside quilts. Then they can save on batting.

I have been cutting fabric that I bought when Hancock Fabrics went out of business in my area a few years ago. I bought quite a few bolts and am cutting them into 2 yard lengths, serging the raw edges, washing, ironing, and folding similar to the KonMari method. It’s a lot of work but I already know it’s nice to grab a 2 yard piece, cut what I need for the project, refold, and put away. I need to get more color catchers before I wash another bunch. It’ s amazing how much dye comes out of some of the pieces. I washed some green polka dots on white 2 times and still the color catchers were green.
    Connie

NoraB and Retiredteach- reading your posts has inspired me to tackle the big job I’ve been putting off. The Christmas tree got mostly undecorated Thursday afternoon. Tomorrow morning I will finish taking off the ornaments and remove the lights. Then I just have to stow the tree in the attic and the lights and ornaments under the guest bed!

Rob
    1955 Singer Featherweight 221/ Late 60's early 70's White Selectronic 970/
    1975 Kenmore 158 model 1914/. 1981 Brother VX560/ Brother PC420PRW/
    Brother PQ1500s/ HQSweetSixteen

It sounds like we are all on a roll! Your progress continues to inspire me. Yesterday, I went thru all my blankets and sheets. Some sheets saved to take to grandchildren to use to make tents, some sheets donated (don't even have the twin sized beds anymore) and some sheets .....well, I'm thinking about how to use them. Same with blankets....I made sure we have at least 2 blankets for each bed, some definitely going to donation and some......well, I'm thinking about how to use them. I will continue "thinking", but trying to be stern with myself and be realistic on what I will do with them and if I actually want to take the time to use them. Meanwhile, they are all nicely packaged in those clear bags with zippers on the top of my closet. Out of sight, off of the floor and on my mind! Good job everyone!

Way to go, Rob! On my April to-do list is taking my Christmas card pics down. I stick them around the inside of the frames of 2 nature pictures I having hanging up and it will probably take less time to take them down than to type this response. . Family ones I keep but the others get tossed.

Nora: You can use sheets as backings for your quilts or cut them up as blocks/block pieces.

I ran out of color catchers so I looked up a DIY color catcher and will try that. It uses washing soda, water, and white fabric which I have plenty of from scrap donations. I will keep everyone updated on how it works.
    Last edited by retiredteacher09; 04-05-2019 at 07:45 PM.
    Connie

Taking a couple of days here to pull almost all out of the sewing room and determine what goes back in it. Got it all out and cleaned. Now the putting back process is next. I do this as part of the spring cleaning process and actually enjoy it. Have found a few old Quilter's Rule rulers that are going to free table along with a box of things I just don't see as necessary anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by AUQuilter View Post
    Taking a couple of days here to pull almost all out of the sewing room and determine what goes back in it. Got it all out and cleaned. Now the putting back process is next. I do this as part of the spring cleaning process and actually enjoy it. Have found a few old Quilter'Rule rulers that are going to free table along with a box of things I just don't see as necessary anymore.

That sounds like a great way to reorganize a space. I would love to do this in the guest bedroom/quilting studio/office. Can anyone guess what I would Not be putting back in?��

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by rryder View Post
    That sounds like a great way to reorganize a space. I would love to do this in the guest bedroom/quilting studio/office. Can anyone guess what I would Not be putting back in?��

Rob
    Ugly fabric?
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/sewbizgirl
    Boom 20 Album of Blocks I made to swap https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19942.html
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sewbizgirl View Post
    Ugly fabric?
    But if you cut it small enough it's not ugly...
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho

I would guess the beds?

Nope, no ugly fabric here, specially once I do like ok says and cut it small LOL...

Rob

Super Member quiltingshorttimer's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I've been overwhelmed since about October as I'm my guild chair for a vendor booth at the KCRegional Quilt Fest and trying to get lots of samples done to show at meetings and idea/pattern sheets ready. But the end is near--mid-June! And I plan to do a thorough cleaning of my sewing room, pulling out all those fabrics that I'm tired of for a guild garage sale, cutting scrapes on the log cabin Accuquilt die, maybe even doing some clothing sewing for me!

DH is painting the areas damaged when plumbing replaced. Tomorrow we can clean and put furniture back in order.

Yea-progress.

Blog Entries
    I'm having overnight company for Easter and dinner on Sunday...my sewing room is such a mess...I've been sewing in the dining room. I have decided to clean the sewing room so I can get a handle on this mess! In the past year whenever I've needed to clean...overrun has piled up in the sewing room and now the time for reckoning has come...I'm finding the floor as I move tubs and boxes and reorganize the stuff in said tubs and boxes. I think I have another days work in here...especially if I go to the LA room and quilt..need to clean that too as kids need a bed to sleep in! Enough for now!
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho

Quote Originally Posted by mmunchkins View Post
    I would guess the beds?
    Yes!

Yes!
    Wow, I finally win! First time I've guessed the answer right here.

Wow...you guys are hustling to get organized. Love your focus!! Most of my stuff is all packed up but that is not stopping me from pre-planning for my new sewing studio.. Today, I played with an idea on a blog in which you make a fabric basket for each color-way...I'm thinking FQ to 1/2yd scraps, which I have a lot packed up. So I made the first two color ways....gray and black... Super easy, quick and fun... I'm thinking it would be a good way to manage stash...if a basket runneth over, make something in that colorway. Not sure how disciplined I'll be but I figure it is worth a shot...plus, I think they'll look so cute on shelves.....Here are the baskets... Measures 10L X 6w X 6D...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Quilting therapy for the therapist...
    My Summertime Swap blocks: https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19923.html

Great baskets, Teen! Looks like a fun way to contain fabrics by color.
    Be a blessing to others, as you may entertain angels unaware!

Thank you!! Thought I'd share a picture of my current sewing studio. Lol... I just kept out from packing the necessities and a couple of projects to work on until I move. In the garage and in Idaho I have about 15 more of these...lol.. Lordy..
    Attached Images Attached Images
    My Summertime Swap blocks: https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19923.html

Yes!
    Rob....In my new home I will have a guest room, an office, and now my own sewing room....however, I need a second guest bed for family visits... I'm having a Murphy bed designed for sewing room so I can close it up and use the backside as a design wall. Lol...whatever it takes to preserve my creative space I am doing....

Blog Entries
    What fun baskets, Teen. I like the size. I've been thinking of making "project" boxes like these for my coworker and me to store our current shop projects in. I'm forever scrambling for something to put mine in as I rarely finish a project in one day.
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho

Here is the link to the tutorial for the baskets, OK... I made two in an afternoon...

https://blog.bernina.com/en/2015/09/...ons-for-quick/

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Teen View Post
    Here is the link to the tutorial for the baskets, OK... I made two in an afternoon...

https://blog.bernina.com/en/2015/09/...ons-for-quick/
    thanks for the link. the dresden one just before the tut starts is my favorite
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Finally emptied a good size round woven hamper I had in college, used for a toy basket when kids were little and ended up in sewing room- sturdy and now hosting the scraps- at least until they get cut down. Feel like I am turning the corner on this redo of the quilting area.

Quote Originally Posted by Watson View Post
    Pamela, that looks like a great idea!

Yesterday, I re-organized my stash cupboard so that all my large pieces of fabric...anything over a metre...are on one shelf rather than mixed in with smaller pieces and I put all my WIPS on another shelf. It really helps me to see what needs doing. I found some things I'd forgotten about. I like that the big pieces are neatly seperate.

I also bought another spool rack to finally get all my spools of thread organized. Now, if they'd just stay that way!

I have one big drawer of scraps and i cannot get another piece shoved in there....that might be my next job or I might just leave it until I start a string quilt.

Watson
    I like that the big pieces are separate. As for the drawer, pull out one theme of fabric ( fall ) and iron them. Now you have more room. Choose a time and cut one hour, or sort by size and lay flat, takes less room.
    If have lots of strips, put in bin, Ready for sting quilts or log cabin, can be different sizes .Divide scraps and strips.

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 LastLast