Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
What's Your Organizing Goal from This Weekend through 9/18? >

What's Your Organizing Goal from This Weekend through 9/18?

What's Your Organizing Goal from This Weekend through 9/18?

Old 09-15-2016, 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by rryder View Post
Good job Tk! I had two goals for this week, 1. clearing off the horizontal surfaces in my art studio and putting things away, tossing or donating any that don't have homes. That one's mostly done.

Now I'm stuck on how to accomplish the 2nd goal. I just can't seem to figure out what to do with all the extra fibers and such that are in boxes taking up floor space in my sewing area/guest room. I'm not ready to get rid of them yet, but maybe I need to be thinking in that direction. Perhaps I need to do some soul searching about whether I will ever get back into knitting, crocheting and spinning my own yarn.

Rob
Ya know Rob, what's worked for other people is to box it up and date it for like 6 months from now. If you haven't opened the box or even thought about it in all that time, Donate. And, if your still now sure about it at that time. Date it again for another 6 months. I bet if you've held it for a year without ever opening the box, you'll be ready to donate it by then.
Old 09-16-2016, 04:27 AM

My goal was to cut out two small kits, but I ended up cutting one larger lap quilt kit. I now have seven projects cut for this winter. Two are lap quilts and the rest are wall hangings and a tote. Next week I should be able to cut my remaining kits. If they are cut and ready to sew, they will less likely become UFO's or have the fabric intended for the project disappear into another project! I'm "gearing up" for 2017 - the year I finish all projects so I don't feel guilty buying something new! No more UFO's! Hmmm...I think maybe I said that about the year 2015...
Old 09-16-2016, 05:12 AM

Oh, my word!!! My goal is: that a sewing dust fairy will come in & do it all for me!!!!!! The older I get the more "I'll do it later" I get!!! But really, house work/everything-- if I don't do it, it won't get done.....
Old 09-16-2016, 05:40 AM

My organizing goal is to put my stash in order. I don't have a huge stash, but it is a mess from doing a little wall hanging that used many colours.

Watson
Old 09-16-2016, 06:15 AM
Power Poster

My plan got derailed yesterday when I had to take MrOK to the dentist...four hours of productive time out of my day...Oh well...now to tidy house before we leave for the weekend...can't stand coming home to a mess.
Old 09-17-2016, 05:32 PM

Default Idea h

Originally Posted by rryder View Post
For this week:

1. I want to clear off the horizontal surfaces in my art studio (that's where I dumped all the extraneous stuff from my sewing area last week). That will require putting away any things that actually have homes. Anything that doesn't have a home already will be assigned one, or will be put in a box to either sell, donate, or throw away.

2. Find a home for all the extra fibers and yarns that I currently have stored in plastic bags shoved into boxes on the floor of my sewing area, which is also the guest bedroom. Right now, they make it hard for people to actually get to the guest bed. I keep telling DH that it would be much easier if we just got rid of the guest bed and made people sleep on the couch downstairs, but he doesn't care for that idea .
If you sort bags into boxes and label them, they can be stacked neat and will take less room. Cover with a quilt and will look nice.

Rob
2nd try ok
Old 09-17-2016, 05:55 PM

I had three goals, but only met one. I cleared off my cutting table.

But I was kind of busy .... Getting our rental property ready to list. Mission accomplished today after 3.5 long months of renovation.
Old 09-17-2016, 08:32 PM
Power Poster

I am working late tonight trying to get some small containers with scraps sorted and put up. One little thing at a time, but if I keep on then I tell myself it all will get done. Some are the tiny normally throw away bits that I save to fill dog beds with, but it still takes time.
Old 09-18-2016, 04:49 AM

Well I had two goals one was cleaning a drawer that had lots of sewing things to go through and some fabric sorting. I accomplished the drawer but the fabric still waits. Hopefully I'll at least get started on the fabric today.
Old 09-18-2016, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by kay carlson View Post
I spent the majority of my weekend, again, doing financial reports for a local group where my husband and I are officers. This volunteerism sometimes get in my way of sewing.... My goal this week is to do some sewing for fun and iron some pillowcases. I consider the ironed pillow case a luxury worth doing and having. Thank goodness my tastes are limited to pillowcases and not sheets, tablecloths, tea towels, underwear, etc. Pressing for sewing projects is Not Work!
Good luck, Quilters :-)
The pillowcases have been pressed, folded and put away. Since I did the financial reports last weekend, I had time and energy to sew for fun. I am working with some batiks making chevron mini braids and Kaffee Fassette florals for a wall hanging. It's been fun to just play with textiles. When I have time this week, I will probably try to finish the last side border for one quilt and sew the backing pieces together. We have a mini-vacation one day this week and I feel relaxed and happy. Best wishes to my quilting friends...:-)