Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: would you put this on wheels (ironing surface)

Blog Entries
    This will be almost 60" across the long way, so I think I might go with 6 casters. It'll be tougher to move but since I don't have to move it a lot it shouldn't be a big deal.

yel
    Blog Entries
    i think you could get by with 1/2 of them locking ....i have a machine on wheels and can't get to the back to lock them so i only lock the front ones ...works ok for me

ok, questions---first where did you get these? Second, could you let me know how tall and deep they are? Also what are they made of? Am looking for something like this to fit under a v shaped desk.

I'm going contrary to the general response.

No wheels on my ironing surface. Why? Because wheels move and if they move without me intending them to move and my iron is on the board, it may fall to the floor, or worse, on me!

I can always get a new iron and new floor, but I can't get a new me!

Having said all that, I would probably raise it up without using wheels and put a couple of furniture sliders under it. Then, when I need to clean behind it, I can make sure the iron is both off and moved off the top of the board, then move it.

Blog Entries
    I will use locking casters so it won't go anywhere. my sewing machine is on a table with wheels and it doesn't move on me if it's locked.

These are Jetmax cubes that I bought at Michaels a few years ago. They're made of fiberboard (??) and are about 14.5".

Super Member QuiltswithConvicts's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Remember that when you are ironing yardage, it's 45" wide. You will also need at least 6" at the end to place the iron. My home-made big board is 24" x 60". To save money, I bought 3/4" plywood that was good on one side, not both. I saw somewhere something similar to what you are planning, but they mounted them onto a plywood base with a space in the middle. They anchored the units to the base with L-brackets on both sides of the units. She had storage baskets in the space or you could put shelves between the units that are at both ends. I thought this was the neatest idea. The whole thing was on wheels & the ironing surface on top. I would use the L-brackets to anchor the top, too.
    Kathy

Super Member QuiltswithConvicts's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I found the picture - just a few threads away! Here is the link. This is such a neat idea for storage & a multiple use item.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/mission...e-t232092.html
    Kathy

Blog Entries
    Since I'm getting a new countertop to use as a desk, I can use my old desktop (which is 3/4" plywood) for the ironing board. It'll be about 64" long by about 20" wide (it will overhang the cubes by about 3" all around). DH has 2 x 4 wood that I can use so I should only have to buy the casters and any brackets that I'll need.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiltswithConvicts View Post
    I found the picture - just a few threads away! Here is the link. This is such a neat idea for storage & a multiple use item.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/mission...e-t232092.html
    thanks for the link to the pictures. That looks very efficient!!

Quote Originally Posted by SHELTIE'SMAMA View Post
    I have my freezer on bricks to raise it to cutting height and it is a pain when something goes over the back. As careful as I try to be it still happens. Planning on getting it on casters.
    If you have a old sheet or blanket, put it behind on the floor coming out to where you can reach it. when something fall down behind, you just pull the sheet out with what dropped. easy

I would put them on locking wheels, however the ironing space I would do as collapsable board so it would have a gap between wall and the ironing top. Let me know what solution you will go with. Good luck.
    Helena

Using the baskets on the shelf is a very good idea. I don't think anything will get lost in the corners if the baskets are not overflowing.
    Always amazes me how and what others come up with to make things better for themselves.
    I have a long handled swiffer duster that fits in skinny spaces. You maybe able to use one to retrieve things that fall behind that row of cabinets.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2