Bernina Q24 sale help!

Old 10-12-2020, 11:37 AM

Question Bernina Q24 sale help!

Hello All,
I am reaching out in the hopes that you can offer advice or insight to my help my sister and myself. Our mom, who was an avid learning quilter, recently passed and our father has asked for our help in clearing out her craft room as its too painful a reminder for him. She had recently (within last 2 or 3 years) switched to using a Bernina longarm machine to do her quilting. The model is Q24 and its on a large frame, it was well maintained and only infrequently used due to onset of her illness. They live in Vida, Oregon which is a short drive from Eugene, OR. I know the size of it will likely be an issue but I was thinking of having the shop that it was purchased from give a quote on disassembling it and packing it up properly.
So we have searched everywhere to find other listings of pre-owned Q24s to gauge a reasonable asking price but haven't been able to find any, do you happen to have an idea of what a good asking price would be? Also if you have any ideas of the best place to list it for sale, or people to contact to help facilitate its sale it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for taking the time to read this.

best, Amanda
Old 10-12-2020, 12:06 PM
Power Poster

Please accept my condolences on the passing of your Mom.

Are any of you interested in the equipment and other supplies? (any or all of it?)

If yes, would you be expected to pay for it?

Is there any paperwork available/around that can tell you how much she paid for it?

From what I can gather, most Bernina machines hold their value fairly well -

I am guessing that if your Mom had a long-arm, that she had a lot of other sewing related things?

My first suggestion would be for you to use her items yourselves.

Goals?

Just to get the room cleared as soon as possible?

To recover some of what was spent over the years? (You probably don't even want to know - I am not excited about having my family figure out how much money is tied up in my "inventory"}

The important thing is - did she get pleasure from these things and working with them.

Would it be sensible/possible to just close the room off for awhile to gather your thoughts? Would your father be interested in learning the craft in memory of your Mom? Some men are fantastic long-armers.

Have you contacted the dealership and explained the situation? If the owners of the dealership are kind and compassionate, they should be willing to help with - at least - a cost for disassembling and packing the machine to move it - and packing it.
I think that having the receipts showing when she purchased it and how much she paid would be helpful, also, when talking to the dealership.

Old 10-12-2020, 12:27 PM

Thank you for your kind words and thoughts. These are all good suggestions.

You are correct, mom has a ton of sewing and quilting items. A room full. My sister and I are each taking one of my mom's 2 smaller machines and whatever other sewing items we are attached too but our living situations nor our time available to devote to learning quilting sadly do not allow for taking on the Q24.

We did contact the local dealer to ask if they took on "consignment" or sold used machines and they said for a machine like that they would only take it on if they already had a buyer who wanted it. But we didn't speak to the woman my mom worked with most so we plan to call back to speak to her, my mom really liked her so I think she will take the time to offer better options.

Dad does have the receipts and paperwork for it, he isn't staying at the house at the moment but has said he will get us the purchase price when he next goes. We do know it was over $20k so we're more trying to get an idea of depreciation and desirability with time and ease being a big focus.

Thank you again.
Old 10-12-2020, 12:35 PM

...and yes, Goals are to both clear the room as soon as possible as my dad is hurting but also thinking of selling the house.. and recoup some money to pay off the last bit of the loan for the longarm.

I'm sure if we added up everything in that room we would have a real shock haha, she loved to shop AND sew. But yes, she got tons of pleasure from this pursuit so it makes any and every penny spent one million percent worth it.

thank you again.
Old 10-12-2020, 02:19 PM
Power Poster

If you are interested in selling her other things - and if you have the time for shipping -
there are sites on facebook that are for quilters to sell things -
Craigslist -
ebay -

You might have a "going out of business" type of sale for her other items -and price accordingly - advertise wherever you can post a sign - and where quiltlers/sewists might lurk - if you have time to do that.

Sorry - no help whatsoever on selling the long-arm. I hope you find a "good home" for it.
I don't know how much time and/or effort you are willing to put into it. Or how much of a "get it done and over with" mode you (and your Dad) are in.

Another thought - an estate type of sale - but make sure that the person running it is familiar with machines, fabrics, etc. -

Or an auction. That is a gamble - could do well or be a dud.

Maybe even put out an ad (plea) for help from a nearby person that quilts (if you can find one) and ask for assistance - trade for fabric/good/tools or a commission to get the items cleared and sold out.

From this board, people have said they were able to sell (quickly) fabric for $3 to $4 a yard. Now quilting type cotton varies from about $4 (Walmart lower end) to $13 or more (local quilt shop prices) .

With this covid-19 thing, it makes everything more difficult. But - where there is a will - there is frequently a way.

I know that if there is a really good deal for fabric or a sewing machine - I am willing to travel miles and through rain, sleet, and snow to get there. But it has to be a really good deal.

Or you could just box almost everything up and donate it somewhere - although , for me, "somewhere" is kind of hard to decide on.

Sorry - no help whatsoever on the longarm. But I do hope you find a "good home" for it.

Last edited by bearisgray; 10-12-2020 at 02:22 PM.
Old 10-12-2020, 03:55 PM

Special thoughts for you and your family as you deal with the loss of your mother. Did she belong to a local guild? There may be contacts listed on local web sites for the different groups. Best wishes.
Old 10-12-2020, 04:58 PM

My condolences to you and your family while working through your mother's passing. I imagine the process of identifying items, their value and then attempting to sell them in today's environment might be a bit challenging. I recommend that you take a look at a website known as Longarm University - it's a site where folks post used longarm machines for sale. You might gather some helpful information there in addition to talking with your mother's favorite gal at the dealer. Best of luck to you all.

Here is a link to the site - https://www.longarmuniversity.com/index.html
Old 10-13-2020, 03:12 AM

If you contact the Bernina dealer where the machine was purchased, they may be willing to put the longarm on consignment sale. Depending on the markdown and promise of future support, it might be sold fairly quickly that way. it's to the advantage of the dealer to have a used machine with low mileage for sale.
Old 10-13-2020, 03:52 AM

Amanda, I’m very sorry to hear of your loss. I’m sure you and your family are facing a difficult project of clearing out...
As mentioned previously, Longarm University is a site I frequented when I was considering a longarm purchase. I have to say that I love my Q24 and hope that the value of your mom’s machine will hold well with the Bernina name. There is also a Bernina Q Series Facebook Group that you might reach out to.
Old 10-13-2020, 11:24 AM

Thank you to everyone for taking the time to respond and thank you for all of the good suggestions, we really appreciate your kindness.