Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Offline Events, Announcements, Discussions
Went to my first Guild meetingin Jeff City, Missouri >

Went to my first Guild meetingin Jeff City, Missouri

Went to my first Guild meetingin Jeff City, Missouri

Old 05-19-2010, 07:30 AM

Sheila,
I went to my first quilt guild meeting too last night! I was very nervous about going as I only know a few folks that are in this guild. It was the Log Cabin Quilters in Kalamazoo, Mi. Doors open at 6:30pm with the meeting starting at 7pm. I arrived ~6:40 and there were (it seemed like hundreds) lots of women there. I felt very welcome and enjoyed the evening. First of all there were annual elections followed by announcements and a show and tell. Then Helen Squires(http:helensquires.com) who is an internationally know quilter and former editor of AQS (?) Magazine presented principles of quilting design. Her presentation was very informative and entertaining. She integrated belly laughing humor during her wonderful presentation. I am looking forward to June's meeting. I even met someone who gave me information about quilt guilds in Northern Lower Michigan where we have a cottage!
Old 05-19-2010, 07:33 AM

wonderful that you found one! The right one can make a great time!
Old 05-19-2010, 07:39 AM
Pam

Originally Posted by Grinster
Sheila,
I went to my first quilt guild meeting too last night! I was very nervous about going as I only know a few folks that are in this guild. It was the Log Cabin Quilters in Kalamazoo, Mi. Doors open at 6:30pm with the meeting starting at 7pm. I arrived ~6:40 and there were (it seemed like hundreds) lots of women there. I felt very welcome and enjoyed the evening. First of all there were annual elections followed by announcements and a show and tell. Then Helen Squires(http:helensquires.com) who is an internationally know quilter and former editor of AQS (?) Magazine presented principles of quilting design. Her presentation was very informative and entertaining. She integrated belly laughing humor during her wonderful presentation. I am looking forward to June's meeting. I even met someone who gave me information about quilt guilds in Northern Lower Michigan where we have a cottage!
She really is the best! Very funny and so knowledgeable. I took a class from her at the Paducah show and will take another from her anytime I can.

Sounds like you have found a great guild, too.
Old 05-19-2010, 09:42 AM

Here is a link to the show information I just posted.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-46410-1.htm#1066906

Sheila
Old 05-19-2010, 07:21 PM
Power Poster

That sounds like so much fun.
Old 05-21-2010, 06:38 AM

I live in Columbia Mo and have gone to the quilt shop in Jeff City often, they are very friendly and always willing to help you, love that shop, also love the ones in Columbia, Appletree and Satin Stitches
Old 05-21-2010, 08:21 AM

Wow, I wish my guild was like that. I like everything about my guild--the speakers, the projects, BOM. I'm excited about the challenge quilt we are going this year. But the people have been so unwelcoming that it is downright disheartening. I've been a member for five months, and they even left me off the birthday list for May! Sheesh. I continue to go because of the things I like about it, but I'm certainly not going to make any friends there. It's a shame too, because I was hoping for that.
Old 05-21-2010, 09:26 AM

bstan -

So sorry to hear that they are unfriendly. People sometimes just don't know how to understand standing in another persons shoes. Now just because I am a person to mention things...... have you thought about pulling the president aside and talking to her. Sometimes people are oblivious to the fact that their actions make people feel unwelcome. I would talk to her in generalities, like I know you love your group but I feel like we may be a little unwelcoming to newcomers. If she asks about why you think that, let her know about leaving you off the list. And take the high road saying that it was important to you but you also understand. Maybe it will bring that portion of the guild to their attention and maybe it will improve. If it doesn't nothing lost.

Sheila
Old 05-21-2010, 09:29 AM

So glad you enjoyed it.
Old 05-21-2010, 09:30 AM

I am so glad that you had a good experience. I have thought about joining one nearby but am nervous about it. Maybe I will give it a try now.