Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Offline Events, Announcements, Discussions
Went to my first Guild meetingin Jeff City, Missouri >

Went to my first Guild meetingin Jeff City, Missouri

Went to my first Guild meetingin Jeff City, Missouri

Old 05-21-2010, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by Panther Creek Quilting
bstan -

Now just because I am a person to mention things...... have you thought about pulling the president aside and talking to her. Sometimes people are oblivious to the fact that their actions make people feel unwelcome.
Sheila
Well, as it so happens, the birthday incident gave me an opportunity to do just that. I told them I felt silly bringing it up, but I was able to point out that I hadn't been included on rosters for the newsletter, charity lists, etc., and wondered if there was one person I could talk to so that I would be included in the future. She was gracious about it and I think it will improve. As far as people being friendly at the meetings, I think that will just take time. At least people have been sitting down at my table when they arrive, which they didn't for the first couple of months.

Interestingly, I was at a class one day and people were talking about guilds. Two women talked about attending a guild and how the women had been so unfriendly that they didn't renew when the year was up. It was the same guild! It was nice to know that I'm not the only one being snubbed.

In any case, there is enough about the guild that I like that I'm going to renew my membership in June, and there is a space on the information sheet to say what could make the guild better for me. I was able to state diplomatically what I thought would help. More importantly, I have adjusted my expectations about what I will get from this guild and that makes the rest of it irrelevant.

Thanks for your comments.
Old 05-21-2010, 10:05 AM

Hi All - Our guild here in Bakersfield is very friendly and welcoming. We have Greeters/Hostesses, a.m. and p.m. meetings. The sole responsibility of that person is to greet the members, visitors and newbies with a smile and information. If someone is a new member, we pair them up with a seasoned member so they can hear about all the activities, charities, etc. that are ongoing all year. We introduce them to at least 3 people so they "know" someone. The person at the door can make a HUGE contribution to that "welcoming" feeling of a guild. You might suggest starting such a position for your guilds. I have held that position for 2 years, and have LOVED it. I took it over a few months after I joined the guild, and I have met so many people. I learned a lot of names in the first few months, and you know people love to be called by their names. I always greet with a smile and a "glad to see you" attitude. It was so much fun, and when I ran for offices, people knew me and I was elected first try. I'm giving up the position because I will chair our next quilt show, and I can't do both...too much work!! Maybe you could volunteer to start that position? We have name tag door prize (if you wear your name tag you get a ticket in a drawing - door prize donated by LQS), birthday FQs in a basket (you get a FQ on your birthday month). Just fun stuff. Good luck!!
Old 05-21-2010, 04:58 PM

Well hello Grandma Phyl and Panther Creek Quilting! I live in Boone County, work in Jefferson City, shop at Appletree and Satin Stitches and Specialty Quilts - we've probably seen one another!
Old 05-21-2010, 06:22 PM

Hooray for you! I love my quilt guild, we have about 180 members and all kinds of opportunities to learn and serve. My suggestion is to volunteer for a group or an activity. It really gives me a sense of belonging. Enjoy!
Old 05-22-2010, 04:38 AM

I am sew glad to hear that people are having pleasant experiences at quilt guilds. Our meeting was last Thursday, and we had some new people. They are always introduced during the meeting, and they are wlecomed by members new and old before the meeting. Being the nosy person I am, when I see someone I don't recognize, or haven't seen before, I always stop them to find out their name, and if they are new, or was I just not aware they were there. We have about 65 people at meetings, and lots of movement, so I do miss seeing people! We wear nametags, and have some people who volunteer to be buddies to newbies.
I am excited because today I get to go to a guild workshop where Jane Adams will do a Color workshop! I love bright colors, and this looks to be really fun. Hope to have photos later today!
Old 05-23-2010, 10:24 PM

I am in Jeff City also What exactly is a quild meeting and what do they do you can om me if you want thanks
Old 05-24-2010, 10:52 AM

Oh what a wonderful quild experience you had...the best kind!

If you hadn't mentioned the location, I would have thought it was the guild that I used to belong to here in So. CA before I moved away. The routine was identical, from friendly welcome, all the way to the end of the meeting.

Glad to hear that you will be returning. You will be a wonderful addition to the group and make lots of friends.

warm quilt hugs, sue in CA
Old 05-24-2010, 11:50 AM

Can you give the date and place for the show?
Old 05-26-2010, 08:58 AM

I am so happy you had a positive feeling from our guild meeting.
We try to make everyone at home and welcome. I am VP of the Mo. River Quilt Guild.

The Quilt show is June 5th 10-5 and 6th 10-4, we have been working very hard to put on a great show. If you get a chance volunteer for anything to help and you'll make new friends.
Old 05-26-2010, 09:00 AM

Sorry I forgot to say where it is. Our show will be at the Lewis and Clark school, Jefferson City, Missouri.