Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
"Turning Over a New Leaf #2" OBW with octagons >

"Turning Over a New Leaf #2" OBW with octagons

"Turning Over a New Leaf #2" OBW with octagons

Old 02-04-2011, 06:18 AM

I would find it difficult to say I prefer one against the other Kathryn - you know I love the first one and the cubes are so right in it.
And I have to say I love the "drama" (excitement almost)I think the octagons create - and the "subtlety" of #1 and the hexagons.
There is one thing I just realised with the octagons though - and that is that you don't lose so much of the block when trimming the top and bottom, as you do with the hexagons, and I like that.
Old 02-04-2011, 06:56 AM

I like the octagons best. They have more visual impact for me. I like your border idea.
Old 02-04-2011, 06:59 AM

very pretty
Old 02-04-2011, 08:04 AM

I like them both, I agree they both have merit. I think I like the first one the best but maybe because of your warm color choices. I lean more to the earth tones.
Old 02-04-2011, 08:07 AM
k3n
Power Poster

Originally Posted by oldswimmer
So...which one do you think was easier? I have not done a OBW but it is on my list.

OH! And they are both stunning! Love the fabric!
Hard to say - for me, the hexes are easier for me because I've done so many! With this, I had to follow the instructions in the book, which I haven't done for a while! :lol: Though I used the Marti Mitchell Kaleidoscope ruler rather than making my own template as the book suggests to cut the octagons which makes it more straightforward! Neither process is difficult, you just have to be well-organised to keep all your bits in order but there are lots of tips in the book to help with that. To me, a design wall is essential at least for the layout part but also to keep everything straight. Though I know there are ppl who manage without. :-D

Katrine, I think I'm with yu in that I like both equally but for different reasons. Hadn't thought of not losing parts of the blocks, good point! But you can't do cubes in the octagons or easily hang them into the borders, though I did think you could hang a few of the setting squares out... next one! :mrgreen: :lol:
Old 02-04-2011, 08:08 AM
k3n
Power Poster

Originally Posted by cuppi duke
I like them both, I agree they both have merit. I think I like the first one the best but maybe because of your warm color choices. I lean more to the earth tones.
Actually the leaf fabric is identical in each - that's just camera/lighting that makes the difference! And possibly the contrast of the border fabric - or is that what you meant? :-)
Old 02-04-2011, 08:12 AM
Banned

It's beautiful! I don't know why, but it seems the hexs brought out the green and the octos bring out the gold more. I like how you made the corner tris into 4-patch posies. So, which technique do you prefer? And I hope you have enough of that fabric! :lol:
Old 02-04-2011, 08:17 AM
k3n
Power Poster

Spooky! Hans was just looking up at Leaf #1 (hanging over my desk) and saying 'that's not the same fabric, it's darker'. I held up a swatch alongside to prove that it was then we were saying just the same thing, about the octos bringing out the gold more! Can you hear us through the Skype? LOL
Which technique do I prefer? Hard to say - think from now on I'll look at each fabric and decide project by project and use either! And yes I do still have a bit left - maybe a Leaf #3 in the future? LOL
Old 02-04-2011, 08:23 AM

Really nice :!:
Old 02-04-2011, 08:25 AM

I was just about to agree with Gai about how the 2 different cuts have brought out more emphasis on different colours in the fabric - it's fascinating!
Now I suppose we will all be buying enough of a fabric to make both!!
Just out of interest, what repeat is it?