Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
"Turning Over a New Leaf #2" OBW with octagons >

"Turning Over a New Leaf #2" OBW with octagons

"Turning Over a New Leaf #2" OBW with octagons

Old 02-24-2011, 10:57 AM

I've been procrastinating - now that I see these beauties, I really must start stacking!
Old 02-28-2011, 10:30 AM
k3n
Power Poster

Thanks everyone - for some reason I haven't been getting notfications to this topic, even though it's my own! LOL.
Old 03-02-2011, 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by omak
I am no help. They are both attractive. It does seem to me, though, that the octagonal quilt has more angles within each section. As I pondered the difference, I noticed that for whatever reason, the angles of the flowers/leaves, whatever they are, were more pronounced. There was a white one with a red diagonal that went across each piece ... I couldn't find anything like that in the hexagons, so I have to conclude that the accentuated angles are created because of the increased number of seams and pieces. <wave>
I think that if you had the exact section of fabric in both a hex and an oct - they would look a lot different because of the difference in the amount of sections. So going back to your comment about the red stripe going across the triangle, it would appear different on each one (from the other). Isn't that perfectly clear? :lol:
Old 03-02-2011, 07:37 AM
k3n
Power Poster

Originally Posted by fireworkslover
Originally Posted by omak
I am no help. They are both attractive. It does seem to me, though, that the octagonal quilt has more angles within each section. As I pondered the difference, I noticed that for whatever reason, the angles of the flowers/leaves, whatever they are, were more pronounced. There was a white one with a red diagonal that went across each piece ... I couldn't find anything like that in the hexagons, so I have to conclude that the accentuated angles are created because of the increased number of seams and pieces. <wave>
I think that if you had the exact section of fabric in both a hex and an oct - they would look a lot different because of the difference in the amount of sections. So going back to your comment about the red stripe going across the triangle, it would appear different on each one (from the other). Isn't that perfectly clear? :lol:
:lol: In fact there's a similar one to the one Omak refers to (I think) in the hex quilt - top right of the set of three cubes. It's the same part of the print, the colour looks different because of the lighting. But yes, the section size makes a difference for sure, as do the extra 2 sections in the octagon I think, but for me, the biggest difference is the squareness of the octagon blocks - I prefer the way the hexes interlock. Like honeycombs, it's a much more pleasing (to my eye) natural shape. I still want to do an octagon one with different sized blocks to break up the lines...
Old 03-02-2011, 07:57 AM

You blow me away with your talent for understanding the OBW as well as fabric choice. Amazing quilter, should be your screen name!

Enjoy seeing your posts and hope to see more.