Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
"When The Cold Wind Blows" Applique >

"When The Cold Wind Blows" Applique

"When The Cold Wind Blows" Applique

Old 09-24-2009, 06:00 PM

Location: Back home in Louisiana for now....where next?? who knows....

Originally Posted by Marcia
Skeat---they are absolutely gorgeous!!!!!!! You are doing an awesome job!!!

Okay, everyone---I am the one who asked Skeat to post these. Tisha (quilter1962) and I are going to be doing this quilt too. We have already purchased the book and all the fabrics. But, I have several other projects that need to be finished before I start, so it may be January before I do my first block. I am not sure when Tisha will be starting.

This is going to be my first needleturn project too, but I picked it because the pieces are large and very do-able. Each block is 28" square and the quilt finishes at 84" square. The patterns and directions are very clear and easy to follow.

So---I am going to throw down the gauntlet----anyone else want to do this with us????? If Skeat does not mind, I am going to post my finished blocks in this thread too.
good luck with this Marcia. I have only had 1 class on applique and it was needleturn, I need LOTS of practice before I could even consider taking on such a large project as this one............so I will just keep cheering all of you on in your endevor. :D 8) :roll:
Old 09-24-2009, 06:01 PM

Pretty Blocks!
Old 09-24-2009, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by CajunQuilter2
Wow Skeat, those are awesome. Way over my head at this point for sure.
It is not way over your head....it is very easy and actually I've played a bit w/applique but, this is my first ever...and, I am learning as I go and I have found out already...I could applique circles forever!! I loved doing those hedge apples!! Here's some hints that I have done...

I trace pattern on dull side of freezer paper...iron on to back side of fabric...then trim to almost1/4" (I 'eye' it as I cut!LOL) Then snip anything that needs to be and press the 1/4" over w/iron....I then pile them all up till done w/one blocks worth.
Then I have those fancy little gizmo's (someone help w/the name) that you slide a certain cut strip thru and it bends it so nice to make perfect bias strip....(it folds it to the middle where the ends meet there) and I press w/an iron stiff.....there are my Stems!!! I made miles of these to be able to place and cut when I need them...and, keep them in a ziplock by size (written on the outside the size w/marker...I need things blonde proof)
I purchased those great little applique pins...such a great investment...for it holds the appliques close to the fabric and your threads don't get stuck as easily.
I am using Prescia thread (sp?) that matches close to the fabrics...which I think has been much fun!! Again, I keep all those threads in a ziplock too...:)
If you ever hemmed a sleev or a skirt with a hand done blind hem stitch...it is basically the stitch I do around the applique (much online to read about how to)
Serge or stitch the edges them from fraying...I'm on that now!:)
Always iron from the backside...as not to make any slick or shiny spots on the front
Oh, and most important....keep all the fabric for this project in a basket...then keep another basket for the project in the making that holds the block, scissors, thread, needles, etc....that is the basket I grab to go...and I don't want to carry all the fabrics:)But, keeping them in a designated spot...keeps you from sneaking that fabric into a different project before this one is done:)Hope this helps anyone thinking about it...
You won't be sorry....they are fun!! And, I am learning alot...espec that "I CAN APPLIQUE!" :)Skeat
Old 09-24-2009, 06:22 PM

Location: Back home in Louisiana for now....where next?? who knows....

Weeellll, since you said that you ironed over the 1/4 inch I can do that, I am just not very good at turning it under as I go. So MAYBE I think I can. Where do i get the book?? Where do I get the fabric, I am not good at putting the colors together at all.

Oh and what is that fancy little gizmo thingy bob you were talking about?>
Old 09-24-2009, 06:33 PM

You are going to have one truly beautiful quilt, Skeat!! I soooo love your blocks!!! :D :D
The only applique I've done is using wonder under than a zigzag round them. But I really love the look of needle turned!
Doing needle turn, you can still get edge fraying? I had thought the edges would be finished from turning under?
And are you using a glue stick, to hold the pieces in place until you get them pinned?
I'm still working on my 'scattered leaves' quilt for myself, and then have 8 more birthday quilts to do before the beginning of February, or I'd be jumping in this with you all!
Thanks for all your hints, and for sharing them as you go along!!!! :D
Old 09-24-2009, 06:34 PM

See....I told you! And you will find out just how easy applique is and most important...it travels great...:)
Check w/your local LQS or such first for all of it:)The book is also at: http://pickledish.kcstar.com/?q=node/564

Here's the clover bias tape makers....which you can add a adhesive tape too at the same time...I haven't done that...I just make them like crazy to sew on:) You can find it at JoAnns at: http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog.j...t3227&start=17

and, even though I haven't found an applique pin I don't like, my favorites are still the clover brand due to their almost round little heads...makes the sliding of thread great:)Now the fabric...Marcia....??:)I've had mine for awhile:)Hope this helps...Skeat
Old 09-24-2009, 06:39 PM

Also, Myrna...this is one of my favorite shops ever! HEre's also the book...Go to: http://www.quiltersstation.com/shop/item.aspx?itemid=99 (do not look at the windmill kit!) and if you call them...they might have allllll that fabric...these gals are always a huge help!! And, I love their kits:)
Old 09-24-2009, 06:43 PM

Skeat, those are gorgeous! I said I would never do applique but have gotten into it of late because it is so freeing - and not that hard, really, just kinda tedious with some patterns! I don't do hand applique, that would be too hard, so the machine stuff is just perfect for me.

I can't wait to see the progress of your quilt as well as Marcia's and Tisha's! Go GIRLS! ROAR!
Old 09-24-2009, 06:54 PM

You'd love these blocks Steph and you would actually find the hand work relaxing and I take mine in the car while I wait on kids, etc....it travels great! And they are so big they are not hair pullling at all!:)Come on....we are dangling the fibers in front of you!!:)Even if you did just one block...you would have an awesome pillow!:)
Old 09-24-2009, 06:59 PM

it is very tempting, believe me, but between finishing up by niece's quilt, the IRR, making a new bag for fall for me, putting together my quilt frame, and starting my DH's quilt, I don't have time!!! And, my husband said if I start another project before doing his quilt he is going to sell all my fabric while I am out of town... :evil: I think he wants his quilt done, poor guy!! :lol:

But I can live vicariously (spelling?) through you, Marcia and Tisha, so keep the pics coming!!!