Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
"When The Cold Wind Blows" Applique >

"When The Cold Wind Blows" Applique

"When The Cold Wind Blows" Applique

Old 09-25-2009, 05:56 AM

Okay--I am on my way out the door, so this has to be really quick.

A lot of my green and red fabrics are from the Hemming House collection by Moda. It is a line from a year or so ago. I then filled in with other fabrics I found as I shopped here and there. My backgrounds are all creamy--some are large prints, some are small. My browns from everywhere (some were in my stash).

This is my tip for fabric collecting for a project. What I did was select as many fabrics as I had on hand that I wanted to use and cut a snip from each one and glued them onto a piece of computer paper. I wrote down how many more of each color I was looking for and then tucked it in my purse. Any time I was out shopping and found myself around fabric I pulled it out and decided if there was anything I wanted to add to the "project stash". Before you know it, you have everything you need. I will admit that it helps that I went on a quilt shop hop of the 10 Atlanta area stores as I was looking for fabric for this project. When I get home tonight I will take some pics of my fabric choices and share with everyone.

This does not have to be a needleturn project. You can use ANY applique process that is comfortable for you. I am choosing to do needleturn because it is something new I want to learn.

This quilt would look wonderful in all kinds of fabrics. If you wanted a more primitive look for it, you could use flannels or homespuns. Batiks would give it a more modern look. Use a palette of shades of one or two colors for a really dramatic monotone quilt. Using Civil War reproduction fabrics would give it an antique look. If you used turkey red and poison green you could create a quilt that has a Baltimore Album feel to it. Just use your imagination. You are allowed to step out of the box!!!!

I will add that if you are interested in making this quilt and want the really big rick rack for it, we do sell it at the quilt shop where I work. I would be happy to send you 10 yards.....
Old 09-25-2009, 06:10 AM

can't wait to see your fabrics! This is exciting!
Old 09-25-2009, 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by mamatobugboo
can't wait to see your fabrics! This is exciting!

Ditto!! I always thought fallish colors would have been awesome in this quilt...can't you see the oranges??:)We will hold our breath waiting for your pics!:)And I love the idea of your snippet samples to keep stocking...:)I usually take a corner off and pin them and toss it in my purse:)Great ideas!! Skeat
Old 09-25-2009, 06:56 AM

What a wonderful treasure you are building...
Old 09-26-2009, 03:21 AM

Originally Posted by Grandma Cindy
What a wonderful treasure you are building...

Thanks Grandma Cindy:)I like the words to that thought:)
Old 09-26-2009, 04:22 AM

Very nice.
Old 09-26-2009, 08:24 AM

Alright--I got home so late last night that all the pics I took were really bad (color way off) so I took some this morning to post.

I did not try to match the colors in the book, I just happened to really like the Hemming House line of fabric and wanted to use them in a quilt. When I saw this pattern, I thought they would work great. Not all of my fabrics are Hemming House, though.

I have about 8 browns picked out and I will probably use only 4 or 5 of them. These are just ones I am auditioning. If you have a strong opinion about ones I should definitely use or definitely eliminate, please be sure to offer your opinion!!

All of the fabrics I have collected
[ATTACH=CONFIG]49035[/ATTACH]

A close up of the reds. I tried to get a variety of pattern sizes and textures.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]49036[/ATTACH]

A close up of the greens. They are more of a teal than a true green.. I always get stuck buying just one shade of a color, so I concentrated hard on getting some darker greens too.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]49037[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-49035.jpe   attachment-49036.jpe   attachment-49037.jpe  
Old 09-26-2009, 08:27 AM

More

Here are my 4 background fabrics
[ATTACH=CONFIG]49039[/ATTACH]

And here is the rick rack I am going to use around the outside. I put a little ruler next to it so that you can see the size-it is some BIG rick rack!!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]49040[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-49039.jpe   attachment-49040.jpe  
Old 09-26-2009, 09:34 AM
k3n
Power Poster

Skeat those are beautiful!

I'd love to join you all but I'm busy with the Baltimore BOM so I'll just watch. :D

Marcia - those are some scrummy fabrics! I'm now going to wipe the drool off my keyboard! :lol:
Old 09-26-2009, 10:14 AM

love those fabrics Marcia!!!