Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
"When The Cold Wind Blows" Applique >

"When The Cold Wind Blows" Applique

"When The Cold Wind Blows" Applique

Old 09-26-2009, 10:19 AM

I want to learn how to do Applique after I finish my 2nd quilt. I am absolutely floored at how beautiful your quilt is!
Old 09-26-2009, 10:25 AM

They look great. I look forward to seeing more. :D :D :D
Old 09-26-2009, 04:57 PM

Marcia...I love your choices in fabric and espec love the paisley!! who can't love those 'persian pickles'?!!:)You are on a super start of choices!! These are such fun and so exciting!! SKeat.....and, thanks for all those good and positive thoughts out there:)I'm just shocked!:)
Old 09-26-2009, 05:09 PM

marcia, maybe you should rethink the green with all that red in it. maybe the red stands out a little too boldly. maybe smaller flowers..

and since i'm already contradicting, i think the center green (looks blue in that pic) is a different value than the others. if that's what you're shooting for, it's a fine print. really nice. 2 cents worth of mo :roll:

to soften the blow, i LOVE the rick-rack.
Old 09-26-2009, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by butterflywing
marcia, maybe you should rethink the green with all that red in it. maybe the red stands out a little too boldly. maybe smaller flowers..

and since i'm already contradicting, i think the center green (looks blue in that pic) is a different value than the others. if that's what you're shooting for, it's a fine print. really nice. 2 cents worth of mo :roll:

to soften the blow, i LOVE the rick-rack.
BFW-thanks for the feedback!! I am not "married to" any of the fabrics--these are just ones I have collected. The red flowers in the green do look a bit bold in the photo, but not so much in person......but it still may not look too great in the quilt. And the center green is a different value--and I am trying to "step outside my comfort zone" but maybe it is outside the ballpark!!

You don't need to soften the blow---I'm a big girl!!
Old 09-26-2009, 05:58 PM

there's another green in that grouping that has very dainty red flowers that i think will 'read' better. it still looks very much green, with only a hint of another color. reds and greens are hard. they want to fight with each other.
Old 09-26-2009, 09:54 PM

I like both, do the rest and add some bugs as a special tuch
Old 09-27-2009, 03:07 AM

Marcia....I'm use to tossing in everything but the kitchen sink in picking colors...:)Sorry Butterflywing...I didn't see anything that won't kick rear in that pile! Espec for this kind of quilt...but, when in doubt, I do the 'jelly roll' thing....

What's the jelly roll??You stack fabric on the rolled edge (or fold)...stack as many as you can and still roll them like a jelly roll so you see the folded edge....then take that jelly roll outside....if you don't see a color that is going to pop at you immed....or one that sticks out like a sore thumb...then it is a 'go'...:)make sense???One that won't work will just sit and stare at you inthis pile...so, you pull it out right then..It works great!!! And, w/all your color choices Marcia....the colors and patterns bring out a rich texture!! It will look super!! JMHO...>Skeat
Old 09-27-2009, 05:58 AM

this is going to be gorgeous!!!!
Old 09-27-2009, 05:59 AM

Beautiful!! :D