Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
$1.00/yrd at Walmart >

$1.00/yrd at Walmart

$1.00/yrd at Walmart

Old 02-11-2010, 10:14 AM

I bought the $1.00 yd fabric at wally world before and thought it was great but once i washed it I knew what a bargain i got. All was misshappen and the weave was not top quality.Lesson learned.
Old 02-11-2010, 10:46 AM

I've not bought fabric at Walmart or Joanns because I'm afraid after all the work going into a quilt something horrible will happen to the fabric over time - like it will disintegrate or something!
Old 02-11-2010, 10:57 AM

Not sure where mom got the fabric. but I do know it was not from a quilt shop, I was about 16 I think.so about 30 yrs ago give or take. She and I made a quilt, no rotary cutter or mat back then. I did all the cutting mom did the sewing. Im sure the fabric was purchased at either Ben Franklins or TG&Y maybe Wal mart. Im going with TG&Y cause she worked there at that time I think. Anyway, my mother can make a penny squeal so I am sure she didnt pay alot for this fabric. That twin quilt is still going strong. I used it as a teen my daughters and nieces and nephew has used it and now my grand kids use it when they stay and G Grandma's.
Old 02-11-2010, 11:00 AM

Sigh those are just great bargains, sigh when will I ever see a quilt shop with that type of bargains????
Old 02-11-2010, 11:07 AM
Power Poster

Location: Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!

I washed all the fabric I got at WM and there was little fraying and the material held together extremely well. Needless to say but I am very happy with it. You just have to know what to look for when making purchases. There was some 1.00 fabric that I wouldn't buy cause I know it would end up in the trash.
Old 02-11-2010, 11:20 AM

I love a good deal! Score!
Old 02-11-2010, 11:30 AM

Beautiful fabric!!!! I would have stocked up, too! :-D I am particularly drooling over the rose colored one in the middle. Soooo pretty!
Old 02-11-2010, 12:09 PM

Watch WalMark closely. They are getting rid of their fabric. I went by on a Friday and they had put it 50% off the previous Monday and the shelves were bare. Made me sick!
Old 02-11-2010, 01:21 PM

Just WHERE is this Wal-Mart?!?!?!
Old 02-11-2010, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by Jeri6
Are all the Walmarts loosing the Fabric Department? I know the ones in Sacramento, CA closed out their Fabric Department. We moved from there to Washington and the Walmart here in our little town still has a pretty nice selection of material and sewing supplies. I hope they do not close it out. It seems like it would make money for the store with all the quilters/sewing crafted people out there.I wonder what the reason is?
Our WalMart is in the process of closing their fabric department. I talked to the department manager and she said the reason behind the decision to close the fabric department (and the seafood/meat counter) was that WalMart is trying to get rid of any department that requires customer service. They want the store to be self-service as much as possible. I asked if they would still be carrying notions, fat quarters, machines, etc. and she said they haven't been informed of that decision yet. I wasn't big on buying fabric there, but sometimes they are way cheaper for the notions, etc.