Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
*sigh* and the ugly quilt award goes to?  Me.  Again. >

*sigh* and the ugly quilt award goes to? Me. Again.

*sigh* and the ugly quilt award goes to? Me. Again.

Old 12-31-2013, 06:41 PM

Thank you ladies so much for the thoughts on the quilt.

I wonder if once the "pain" fades, I'll look at it differently. I noticed this afternoon when the sun came in the window that I liked it a little better. Maybe it was a touch of vitamin D, or maybe the colors looked truer to me. I think you gals may be right, I think it was more the speed with which I felt like I needed to do it (I still missed the deadline by 5 days, he got it yesterday), and the fact that I felt so out of my element (especially that "trial and error" quilting ) .

At the end of the day, I'm at heart a wholecloth sort of gal. Subtle, understated, etc. This quilt just threw me completely out of that zone. I struggled with the design, I even put it in EQ to "preview" it, and wasn't sure, but thought I had no time left to try to coordinate more colors, etc. Then I struggled with the piecing, then how to quilt it. Even the binding gave me fits for some reason.

I have to remember that sometimes, with quilting, it's OK to be "about the appearance". It can look good, even if there are uglies and bad attitude underneath where no one can see it anymore.

Debbie, you asked if it was frame quilted - yes! It was done on my new Lucey. It's about the 3rd finish I've had on her. 1 panto and 1 other charity quilt. Lucey forgave me all my mistakes. DH picked the fill. I said I wanted to do the "Dragon leaves" on the borders. I think he gave in knowing if I didn't do that, I was going to do feathers

quiltsRfun - I'm sure this could be done in FMQ on a domestic. It would be a good one to learn with. It has nice "stopping" points to aim for. If you want (when there's some light around here, or maybe I'll take it outside in the snow tomorrow) I'll snap a closer pick of the fill. I'm also finding that doodling is making a huge difference in how fast I pick up new designs. Jamie Wallen told us that the brain doesn't distinquish between a pencil on paper and a quilting machine (I assume this to be the same on the domestic machines as well.) I might give it a quick shot on my 301 too to see how it feels in FMQ.

ube quilting - I did the square, stitch the (2) 1/4" lines from the middle, then cut method. It's usually pretty accurate, like the 8 at a time method. I think my problem (all of the massacred points were in the sawtooth bits) was just one of scale. Once your squares are under 2", there's not a lot of fudge room left. Get it a little wonky and you're pretty much guaranteed a decapitation or 2.

dunster - I felt like the color was the hardest part of all! The first choice on the borders really put a lot of doubt in me too. I'm really glad I changed it. As for the feathers, I have this habit of trying to take on the "hard" stuff first. I've had a few people ask me why I do that,... I'm not sure.
Old 12-31-2013, 06:58 PM

I think the quilt is totally awesome. The fabrics and colors play well together, and your block choice is perfect! I would say your hubby is one lucky guy!
Old 12-31-2013, 07:08 PM

This is a very nice quilt. I think you did a great job and as long as your DH loves it, then so be it. Quilting is a learning process, all trial and error until you can consider yourself to be a professional.Something i myself will probably never be. Don't be so hard on yourself. Just learn from your mistakes and the next quilt will go faster and possibly easier. With Christmas over now -the pressure is off of alot of us happy stitchers, so relax and enjoy your next project. Btw, love the colors.
Old 12-31-2013, 10:27 PM

I really like your quilt. Keep on quilting and loving it. Like the colors
Old 12-31-2013, 10:43 PM
QM
Power Poster

I think you are too close to it. My DH would love it. It's a very nice quilt. My only suggestion is that NEXT time you do a project like this, buy enough of the fabrics you use in the centers so you can fussy cut and put the design elements in the centers of the blocks.
Old 12-31-2013, 11:50 PM
Power Poster

I really like this quilt....I think the fabric works well with the design, the quilting (which is very good) flows nicely and it just generally appeals to me. I think you are too close as the others mentioned....You should be proud of this quilt...it most certainly is not ugly.
Old 12-31-2013, 11:59 PM

I think it looks awesome and if hubby loves it, then that is all that matters
Old 01-01-2014, 12:21 AM

Intricate pattern. You did an awesome job. Very impressive.
Old 01-01-2014, 01:22 AM

I think most people with a truly ugly quilt won't post it on QB. I clicked on the link thinking maybe it was possible someone would put up a real "dud".

I think this one turned out fantastic. We can't see all the little things wrong and in the picture, really, it's a very attractive quilt and I can understand totally why your DH likes it!

The colors are very nice, the HST always make me stand back and admire someone's fortitude in doing them and the quilting--something for me to attain to. Congratulations on a job well done. Don't look at it for a while and it'll improve!
Old 01-01-2014, 04:45 AM

There are no complete failures in quilting. If it will keep someone warm it's a success. Forget the quilt police and being perfect.