Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
10 minute table runner..... >

10 minute table runner.....

10 minute table runner.....

Old 05-09-2012, 07:29 AM

Thanks all for the sweet words. I got the fabric from Joann's either before Easter. I typically cut the center fabric about 9 inches wide and use 18 inches for the outer fabric.

I had never thought about using yo yo's before. Will definitely consider that option. Most of the time I put rick rack on the short edge. but happened to think about the lace this time.

I've also seen where the fabric is the same on both sides and they use the "back" as the front and use things to embellish it.

I actually cut this runner shorter than it came out. I wanted the bow in the center of the runner. It was off centered about 3 inches. just folded it in half at the bow and then cut it off.

One suggestion I do have when making this is after you sew the top seam, press it down really well especially the top that way when you turn the corner it will have a nice point.

Thanks again for the suggestions and sweet words!

Hugs!
Old 05-09-2012, 07:35 AM

Also when making this I would also mark the centers on the long sides matching the centers. That way it will lay a lot nicer and straighter.

After I sew the "tube" I also iron the center on the short side. That way I know they also match.

Good luck and I can't wait to see some others!
Old 05-09-2012, 07:54 AM

I have used buttons and yo yo's to decorate with, also saw a fancy christmas ornament on one in a
store, which I tried to find....not just before Christmas. I had made 4 of them for a neighbor lady out
of a beautiful black/gold/cream print and thought the cream christmas ornament would be nice...couldn't
find any, so used 2 sizes of yo yo's out of the 2 colors in the table runner; she liked them. I am going
to look early this year for those fancy ornaments to add to some more of these for gifts at Christmas.
The store also added a tassel too out of gold. Wouldn't be a good thing if there were children in the
home!!
Old 05-09-2012, 08:42 AM

That is so sweet! I've only been on the board a little over 2 years and I have never seen this. I'm so glad I did, though, because I'm looking for something fast to make up for our bedroom dresser that will be somewhat cat-proof, that is to say, washable, durable inexpensive. Thanks loads for showing us this great idea. And I love your variation with lace. Perfect with the bunnies.
Old 05-09-2012, 08:46 AM

How cute that is. Hope you don't mind that I printed a pix of yours since I'm going to be teaching my dtr in law how to make "10 Minute Runners" soon. She's a new sewer & it's going to be fun to work with her on this.

Pat
Old 05-09-2012, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by Momyar View Post
I've been doing these for a while now and decided to try something different. I thought I'd try it with some lace that I got from my sister. I'm so pleased with how it came out.

I've used rick rack along the short edge before. Or either added buttons. Never really sure how to quilt it. I've even used batting in it to "poof" it up some.

I'm just wondering for those that have made them before how have you embellished it?

Wondering minds would like to know....

Cute! But I'd avoid buttons and anything of the sort. Don't need to turn over a pitcher of milk.
Old 05-09-2012, 10:56 AM

Cute idea!!
Old 05-09-2012, 11:35 AM

Thank you for this link, I am anxious to try this table runner. Just need to clear the sewing machine of a WIP, lol.
Old 05-09-2012, 11:40 AM

Lovely table runner and great ideas for dressing them up...Thanks!
Old 05-09-2012, 12:22 PM

Very pretty!