Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
1st Machine Applique - IS IT AWFUL? NO CLUE! >

1st Machine Applique - IS IT AWFUL? NO CLUE!

1st Machine Applique - IS IT AWFUL? NO CLUE!

Old 11-05-2013, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by leakus View Post
I love machine applique. If I were you I would shorten the stitches in both ways and what I was told is that the stitch has to be 20 % on the background and 80% in the applique. I always try to have the outer stitch on top of the edge of the applique piece, it takes some practice but it can be done. The open toe applique does all the difference on your visibility. Also, I sue stabilizer in the back and each applique is fuse to the background. To tell you the truth, I don't find your work bad, I think we sometimes are harder on ourselves than we should be and don't forget other people won't notice the details unless you tell them to look.
good luck, don't get discouraged. Keep going.
andrea
I agree. I love to do machine applique and I use the buttonhole stitch most of the time. I would also shorten the length and the width. I don't use stabilizer behind my main fabric, but I do use Heat 'N Bond Lite to fuse each piece into place. I also use the open toe foot so I can see exactly where the needle is going to land, especially when making an inside or outside corner. Practice, practice, practice---but no beating up on yourself allowed. I've improved my applique work, but I CANNOT get the free-motion quilting thing figured out at all!
Old 11-05-2013, 07:40 PM

I think it looks good. Points are always going to be hard whether it be a blanket stitch or satin stitch. I think ince you have stitched the other petals, it will all come together for you. Good advice given on the Tear away stabilizer.
Old 11-05-2013, 08:21 PM

I say keep on going..looks good.
Old 11-06-2013, 04:43 AM

Originally Posted by Lisa_wanna_b_quilter View Post
It looks fine. If it is puckering too much, a stabilizer will help or even starch. I starch my background squares very stiff before I start.

If it is possible, I also like to cut my background square larger than I want it to be when it is finished. I square it to size after the applique. That helps you fudge things a little if one side pulls up a bit more than the other.

If I were doing it, the petals would be placed behind the center. I would then not do pink stitching at the base of the petal. The yellow stitching around the center would old both. That is a design decision -- not a mistake, so don't feel I'm saying you did it wrong. I'm just trying to answer your questions about what I would do.
Oh you are so right - the yellow piece IS on top, but it didn't occur to me to start there, so I started stitching all round the petals until light dawned and I realized I did it backwards.

Love that hint about over-sizing the background square. I am using wonder under or something similar and it is fused and stiff, but I bet it is shrinking more where there is more applique.

Thank you for your help.
Old 11-06-2013, 04:51 AM

Lisa_ and leakus thanks for your advice. One u-tube video doesn't make someone into a machine applique-er.

I finished the red petals and the berries and discovered on the tiny round berries that shortening the stitch in both directions looked better. I think I am going to give up on the 'embroidery' stitch the Janome uses which is a double-thick blanket stitch, and go for a small neat button hole on the green leaves. I don't think I have a satin stitch but I can see if my zigzag can shrink up and if I can get it to line up.
Old 11-06-2013, 05:07 AM
Power Poster

You're doing fine.
Old 11-06-2013, 05:39 AM

Thanks all, for the encouragement and suggestions. It is true that when I got it more than a foot from my face, it started to look a little better.

NativeTexan, (and other helpful posters!) I think I was erring on the side of not putting the needle into the background and it made the fabric edge poke up instead and look gross along the outside of the curve..

But I am worried that I shouldn't have the red stitches showing over the edge of the fabric and onto the green background. Are there applique police?

Of course if I do a buttonhole stitch it will cover up the whole edge so it won't show, right? Can't wait to go home and try it out!!!

For the glue-up - I traced the template shapes onto fusible web paper, cut them oversized, pressed them to the fabric, cut them out on the template lines, peeled the paper off, pressed the fabric pieces together against a piece of translucent baking paper, under which was the black-and-white drawing of the whole project, peeled it up, and ironed the completed flower-thing and the other loose pieces to the background. It stuck well, rather stiff, and I did not use a tear-away behind the background.

I've also found out that I should change the stitch length and width to accommodate the pointy bits and the tight curves. And whoever said be sure to put down needle and move fabric when needle is outside the fabric - hohoho easier said than done. Going as slow as machine will go, using foot pedal, still miss it. Had to do one up-needle down-needle button at a time.

Well, hurry 5PM!
Old 11-07-2013, 04:05 AM
Vat

If you don't like it you probably take it out. Have you tried an open-toed foot? (I think that will allow you to see the edge of each petal and where one starts and stops. I would like the stitch not a wide, have you tried that?
Old 11-07-2013, 05:18 AM
Power Poster

I usually use a zigzag stitch but yours looks great.
Old 11-07-2013, 05:39 AM

That's what my machine gives me to use and using it I am.....My first piece didn't look the greatest but the more I did the better it looks....I shortened my stitch length and it looks even better!! The alternative is buying another machine and that would take money away from FABRIC!!