Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
1st Machine Applique - IS IT AWFUL? NO CLUE! >

1st Machine Applique - IS IT AWFUL? NO CLUE!

1st Machine Applique - IS IT AWFUL? NO CLUE!

Old 11-07-2013, 02:05 PM

It looks OK...keep practicing...and maybe try a small zig-zag stitch instead of the blanket stitch. I found it easier to start.
Old 11-07-2013, 03:08 PM

Just read a tip about using a disappearing pen to outline the pieces of the same color so you can see where the edges are. Looks like you did a pretty good job. Will you look that close at the piece when it is completed?
Old 11-07-2013, 03:18 PM

I like the way it looks. The stitches are saying "feel how soft and lovely we are". I'd continue just as you are.
Old 11-07-2013, 04:22 PM
Power Poster

Looks fine to me
Old 11-08-2013, 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by ube quilting View Post
I think it looks fine. Use your judgement on the size of your stitch. There is no rule to follow but what looks good to your eye.

When I do this stitch I look at the smallest pieces being sewn and adjust my stitch to look good on those. That stitch will also look good on bigger pieces. This does not work the other way around. A larger stitch may not look good on a small piece.

Also decide if you want to use the stitching as texture on the pattern or do you want it to be less noticeable or disappear into the pattern. You make this choice.

I think a standard guesstimate would be to catch at least four or five threads deep in the fabric piece for it to have a good hold, but I'm not sure about that.

I like what you are doing so far. You have a nice curve and neat stitching around the petals.

I am anxious to see the finished project. Oh! There it is, Lovely, very lovely.
peace
Thank you so much for the suggestions - it gives me a perspective on how to plan it out. I sure discovered big stitches won't take tight curves! I tried straight work doing the inner border - harder than SITD for sure! And I am doing the wavy ribbons now.

Should I get into quilting or let it be? When I sandwich it I might quilt it with echoes of the petals on the background, try making veins in the leaves, decorate inside the yellow center of the pointsettia. Now that would make it the most decorative thing I've ever done!

Ube so helpful Thanks much!
Old 11-09-2013, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by katier825 View Post
It doesn't look bad. Did you try a stabilizer on the back? I usually use a tear away on mine. It helps reduce the puckering.
IT LOOKS GREAT!

You might want to use wash away stabilizer instead. You could always make the stitch a little more narrow but then it is a little harder to control around curves and points. To see where you are going, you can always trace along the edge (very carefully) with soft chalk. Then the edge stands out. You are doing a great job, it sure doesn't look like a first attempt!! I just hope that you find it fun (also addictive)!
Old 11-09-2013, 05:08 PM
Power Poster

yes an open toe foot is a great advantage for applique. Does it need to be closer together or further apart. That is up to you and what you like. A narrow width is easier to work with than a wide one. But it looks good to me. But it is your opinion that counts.
Originally Posted by SueSew View Post
It is impossible even with plastic foot to see where one red petal leaves off and the next one begins. I don't know whether to make the stitches closer together or farther apart and if the depth of each stitch is too much.
Old 11-10-2013, 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by debcavan View Post
yes an open toe foot is a great advantage for applique. Does it need to be closer together or further apart. That is up to you and what you like. A narrow width is easier to work with than a wide one. But it looks good to me. But it is your opinion that counts.
Deb, I found the really open foot and that helped. Somehow I didn't realize I had so many design decisions to make.

Thanks for your help! I need to look at more finished applique projects until I understand better how to make those decisions.

I originally wanted it to be a pot-sitter for the table but realized that it is better hanging on the wall, not so close to picky eyes like mine, or likely to see hard use!
Old 11-10-2013, 08:46 AM

I think it is great.....I have a machine with this type of stitching and am going to try and use it.
Old 11-10-2013, 09:26 AM

I think it looks good.