Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: 3-D Baby Quilt

Sometimes people don't discover until later, what they actually have. And sadly I have heard that same story before. It would make me so sad after all the time and effort you put in. The quilt is darling and baby will enjoy the colors and enjoy the playing with the 3-D.
    DEB CAVAN

Blog Entries
    I believe I would have marched right up there and said, "No, this is not just another blanket. This is a hand made quilt that I made especially for your new baby." And I would have held it up and showed it. I think she would have changed her attitude. (I would have said it nicely, with a smile)
    Be the best that you can be at everything you do.
    Find me on Facebook Be my friend Join my group
    Leesa Kemp's Material Things Fabric Sales and Auctions

My Granddaughter in law didn't even open up the last quilt I made for her until I insisted. I will probably never see it again. She is a different nationality then we are, maybe that makes a difference. I know it will be the last she gets from me.
    Your little quilt is cute and deserves to be appreciated.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Well, the baby will certainly appreciate this cute quilt. Mama needs a kick.

Cleodaisy

I understand how you feel. I crocheted a beautiful baby afgan for someone and she pulled it out of the box (at least she did that) and said "Oh, a blanket." Put it in the box. After all that work, you should be complimented. God help us with this new generation!!!!
    Donna from Calif.

I'm sorry =( to hear this,some people just don't understand what goes into these quilts,it's adorable and I know
    how you feel,I gave a quilt for xmas to a close Family member and oh she thanked me~ my next visit I saw it in the laundry room on the floor for the dogs to sleep on =( I was crushed~I never told her what I thought but one thing is for sure~she will never get another one!
    I Love ALL kinds of CrAfTs

QM
    It is a darling quilt. Hopefully, it will be appreciated in time.

Blog Entries
    I recently gave a quilt to someone and they didn't bother to look at it, just set it aside and moved on. It's a sad feeling when that happens. I think your little quilt is darling and I know the little boys in my life would have loved it

Blog Entries
    I know what you mean, it happened to me just a couple of weeks ago also. I wish these young expectant mothers knew the difference in a handmade quilt and another blanket. I refuse to get upset and hurt feelings over it but it does make me see green for a while. I made several for my granddaughter and she does appreciate them and loves them. She made a big show out of them at her shower and I see them all the time in the pictures of the baby. She uses hers constantly. I get my kicks making them.

sassy granny

Blog Entries
    We see a lot of these posts right after the holidays. Unfortunately, you need to have a very thick skin when you give anything hand made. Most people who do not have a crafty or creative hobby have no appreciation about the time and money spent. A way that might work is to ask the recipient beforehand. Yes, you spoil the surprize, but if you are not prepared to see the dog sleeping on it, then please don't gift it.
    I'm pretty weird in that the act of creating is way more fun and meaningful than the item created. I usually make quilts, have them laying around the house and when someone admires one, it's theirs. If I do give a handmade item (usually a bag) I may embellish it, but I don't personalize it with names and/or initials. How are they going to re-gift it with their name on it? ;-)
    "I do not understand how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to."
    Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

Quote Originally Posted by Latrinka View Post
    Awe, how sad for you! I know you must've been crushed! Awe, but the quilt is sew precious! I think I'd have had to say, "oh, but no!, it ain't just another blanket! It's a handmade QUILT!" LOL!
    You're all more forgiving than I think I'd have been. I think I'd have said to her "No, it WAS a handmade quilt. now it's a GONE quilt". I'm sorry... I just don't like to see people treated like you were. I'm so sorry she was so rude to you. {{{ HUGS }}}
    (`v)
    `*..*
    .*).*)
    (.(. (..`..♥ rebecca

Quote Originally Posted by Froggiey View Post
    It's a wonderful quilt. I love it. She was very rude. It's a shame that so many people don't know how many hours it takes to make a quilt and how much money it cost to make one.
    I was just always taught that it didn't matter how much a gift cost or anything about it. It was A GIFT, I was supposed to be thankful someone had thought me, be grateful & tell the person that I was grateful. It's called the golden rule & I used to pound it into my kids' heads. I used to say that if that was all they ever got from me, that would get them thru life.
    (`v)
    `*..*
    .*).*)
    (.(. (..`..♥ rebecca

I had that once, I stood up and unfolded it and sad "actually it's a hand made quilt". She and everyone was so impressed. If they see the smooth back they may just think "another blanket". And I remember I was SO tired at my shower. Anyway I hope when she realizes the treasure she has that she calls you or sends a thank you note.

May her labor continue for an additional 30 minutes. Your quilt is adorable.

I've been on both sides of this conversation. I have given something to someone I am close to that I spent many hours making that was not only treated badly it was then discarded when it got dirty. She didn't even bother washing it. I also just watched my daughter-in-law and her best friend both at their baby showers. One was a normal size shower, the other a large shower. When there are that many gifts to open, and that many people looking at you, I don't think you always do and say the right thing. That being said, I would give her the benefit of the doubt and wait until/if you get your thank you card and see what it says. Or if it's someone close to you see if she doesn't come and tell you how much she likes it. If not, I'm sorry. I hope that doesn't stop you from being kind in the future.
    Kelly

Forgot to tell you your quilt is adorable! I love the backing fabric!
    Kelly

I understand your dissapointment that she did not seem appreciative over the wonderful gift and all your hard work, but life is too short to live in that moment. Over the years I have had many things like that happen and I use to cry and think on it for days. Today by the grace of God, I give a gift freely and if they want to go put it in the trash they can. I've too much to do to spend another day trying to figure out what the heck is wrong with people. My husband's dear GM made me two precious baby quilts for my first son I had intented to pass them to his first child. I knew they would end up in the first garage sale so I kept them to use in my home for the grandkids. I still appreciate GM for taking the time to make something so special for my child. Hope the hurt heals soon.
    Always in Stitches,

So blessed in the opportunity of life, the gifts of nature, and the choice to do good to others. I'm thankful for this day.
    http://www.photographicendeavors.com

I agree with some of the other comments. Wait & see if she doesn't acknowledge it later. It's a very pretty quilt & I know you put your all into making it for her.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthPStitches View Post
    May her labor continue for an additional 30 minutes. Your quilt is adorable.
    LOL!!!!!!!! Love it!
    Always in Stitches,

So blessed in the opportunity of life, the gifts of nature, and the choice to do good to others. I'm thankful for this day.
    http://www.photographicendeavors.com

Blog Entries
    oh that's so sad...it's such a cute happy quilt! i'll be honest, my feelings would have been hurt.

I had that happen to me as well when I gifted a twin quilt..she opened the box, said "it's a quilt" "thank You"

then was going to past it to the side without opening the quilt and showing it....well, I opened my mouth and told her to open up the quilt so that she could see it....she did...and everyone else oohhhhed and awwwed...

she not so much..

oh well I had fun making it and the guest enjoyed looking at it...
    Pam H.

"Those that mind, don't matter and those that matter don't mind" ~ Dr. Seuss

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Earleen View Post
    Given for a shower gift, that she never unfolded just said it was another blanket.Attachment 337366Attachment 337367Attachment 337368
    Don't let people like that discourge you it is a beautifull quilt,my mom always said people like that had their nose stuck so far up when it rains they will drown like a wild turkey,honestly that is true for turkeys and it is a beautiful quilt.keep making them There is people out their would love to have a quilt like that for their wee one.
    Singer 110 , Singer 7422,Singer AH458923, Singer AD075758, Singer 5528 Singer AE234907, Universal H300795 Kenmore 158.16540, Necchi 3354, Dressmaker S2402, Signature 103-303340, BICOR VX1005 Singer 242

Oh My so cute and not appreciated. Wal-mart for future gifts, I would say

I am sure she did not mean to be rude. The quilt is absolutely adorable, and I am sure that in the future the soon to be mom will appreciate your thoughtful and beautiful gift.

How rude! not even a perfunctory thank you? I would have snatched back!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast