Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
3-D Baby Quilt >

3-D Baby Quilt

3-D Baby Quilt

Old 05-24-2012, 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by cosetta1 View Post
I made a quilt for my neice as a wedding gift!! Haven't a clue whether or not she liked it , no thank you and no comments!!! Was sorry I made it for her after! I don't think some people appreciate how much work goes in quilts!
Do you ever get a "thank you" or acknowledgement for anything anymore? I'm getting ready to send checks to about 5 graduates and I don't expect to hear a word from any of them....unless I enclose self-addressed, stamped Thank You cards....and maybe not even then! ;-)
Old 05-24-2012, 08:24 AM
lue

It seems we have these stories of ingratitude for our hard work all the time on the board. When we give a gift we'd LIKE to receive thanks and appreciation. However, a true gift is given without any attachment to a specific outcome (e.g. hearing thanks). HARD TO DO!! If the recipient fails to say thanks within a few months (give mom a few months to get her bearing), we can say to the person later, "I spent a lot of time making the blanket for your baby. I made it with my love, my energy, (and my money). I hoped you'd like it but I didn't hear from you/you didn't even unfold it at the shower, etc. Did you like it?" Most of us don't MEAN to be inconsiderate. Sometimes life simply gets in the way. Sometimes we haven't been taught to say thank you. Sometimes we don't know how. Sometimes we are just doing the best we can with the tools we have in the shed.
Old 05-24-2012, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by Latrinka View Post
Awe, how sad for you! I know you must've been crushed! Awe, but the quilt is sew precious! I think I'd have had to say, "oh, but no!, it ain't just another blanket! It's a handmade QUILT!" LOL!
Agree with you-well spoken!
Old 05-24-2012, 09:04 AM

Looking at it - it looks like the triangle tips are not tied down. What a great idea!! Something for little hands to hold on too.
Old 05-24-2012, 09:04 AM

So sorry your feelings were hurt. Let's hope she will look at the gifts later and give you a special "thank you." You certainly deserve it. The quilt is adorable. Absolutely love the dimensional quality.
Old 05-24-2012, 09:05 AM

That is a hard pill to swallow. We want everyone to be as excited as we are about our quilts since we put so much love and effort into them. Just come here and we will enjoy looking at your quilt and be as excited as you are about them.

I made a quilt for a friend of mine for her daughter in law. they have just moved back in with them, they had lived out of the state so have no friends, so my friend wanted to help her out by having a baby shower for her. I told her right away that I would make her a quilt. She went and paid another person to make a quilt for her. So I did not know how to feel about that. But the other quilt was very cute in fact it was the same design with the 3 d pin wheels.
I came home, asked my family what they thought and am still trying to let it go, but it did make me feel kind of weird.

I am proud of my fmq on it.
Old 05-24-2012, 09:22 AM

I'm sorry this happened to you. I am fortunate that my gift quilts have been appreciated. But then, if I don't think someone will appreciate it, I don't usually bother. One thing I always make a point of doing is folding it such that the label is the first thing seen when the package is opened. I put a lot of thought into my labels as well, but even if I didn't, it tells the person right off the bat that this is not a factory-made item, but something made with thought and love. I hope the mother realizes what she has and lets you know. If not, let it go. It is her loss, not yours.
Old 05-24-2012, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by lue View Post
It seems we have these stories of ingratitude for our hard work all the time on the board. When we give a gift we'd LIKE to receive thanks and appreciation. However, a true gift is given without any attachment to a specific outcome (e.g. hearing thanks). HARD TO DO!! If the recipient fails to say thanks within a few months (give mom a few months to get her bearing), we can say to the person later, "I spent a lot of time making the blanket for your baby. I made it with my love, my energy, (and my money). I hoped you'd like it but I didn't hear from you/you didn't even unfold it at the shower, etc. Did you like it?" Most of us don't MEAN to be inconsiderate. Sometimes life simply gets in the way. Sometimes we haven't been taught to say thank you. Sometimes we don't know how. Sometimes we are just doing the best we can with the tools we have in the shed.
Very well said!

I do hope that when the excitement of the shower passes and new mom is home settling in with the baby, that she will realize and enjoy the quilt you made for her. It is a very lovely quilt! Regardless of mom's attitude, the baby is going to be thrilled with it!
Old 05-24-2012, 11:49 AM

Well your quilt is beautiful! In fact, I am making one for my neighbors nephew and yours is my inspiration so hope that makes up for the "shower" incident....I can not wait to get started.
Old 05-24-2012, 12:31 PM

You just know that if the baby gets ahold of this gorgeous, 3D, handmade quilt it's going to be a favorite! That will show Mom that it isn't just another blanket!!!