Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
30's quilts >

30's quilts

30's quilts

Old 06-13-2010, 02:04 PM

Old clothing might have the patterns similar to the fabricc in the quilts..then the fabric will have some wear and blend into the quilts better. It can be a tedious process to replace the bad pieces, but after you do the first few it gets easier.The quilts are still in pretty good shape considering thier age. Good luck on this project. Show us what you come up with!

Ditter
Old 06-13-2010, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by kay carlson
I had a quilt appraised last month. It was made from sugar and flour sacks, no feedsacks. The woman who appraised the quilt put it at circa 1950. If I put new (reproduction) fabric for a repair, the quilt automatically becomes circa 2010. I suggest looking for vintage fabric. Just my humble opinion....
This is good to know. I wanted to find vintage fabric to start with, as the fabric is pretty worn and I didn't want it to look like there were just these glaring new fabrics in it! I'll have to do some checking. Even if I can only find small pieces I would be happy, just so long as I could do each block. I think they are about 5-6in finished.
Old 06-13-2010, 04:38 PM

What fabulous heirlooms! I hope you're able to find the RIGHT fabrics you need to repair these awesome quilts!
Old 06-13-2010, 05:48 PM

MNquilter, the appraiser was Bev Proulx from North Branch, MN. She was at Menominee, MI and I was able to secure an appointment with her. My husband stayed with me and was really impressed by all the things she was teaching us. He said he has a greater appreciation for the quilt I kept and quilting in general :-)

She reviewed the types of fabric, pattern, quality of workmanship, etc. We listened closely as she described how to launder the quilt and dry it. I had done everything she said except I had elected to dry the quilt on delicate heat in our dryer. I didn't have enough room to lay out a tarp and towels for the quilt to air dry.

Bev also discussed how to care for the quilt - folding, storage, etc. Overall, it was well worth the $40. investment. She took a picture for her file and supplied a detailed report for insurance purposes. I am not interested in insurance, but wanted to know more about the pattern and cloth.

I ended up giving the other quilt to a family member after I had laundered it. Now, the next generation of the paternal family has the heirloom to pass along.

It is so exciting to see what you have received. The quilts are treasures. Enjoy :-)

P.S. Please pm me if you need info on laundering the quilt as you will not want to subject it to mechanical aggitation.
Old 06-13-2010, 05:57 PM
Power Poster

Aw, they are really pretty!
Old 06-13-2010, 06:40 PM
Power Poster

Very Pretty :mrgreen:

Are you going to try and patch the fabric in ?
Old 06-13-2010, 06:48 PM

Look for your fabric in your aunts closet and your grand mothers. You might find some in old clothes at the thirft stores.
Old 06-14-2010, 03:34 AM

You could find the repro fabric and either hand stitch the new one there, or make an "honest patch".

There are both wonderful. I love old quilts. We found a hand pieced, hand quilted double wedding ring in the attic of our old house. The quilt, unfortunately, was beyond repair as a large section was missing... We still have it. I'm going to use it as a pattern to make my own one day :)
Old 06-16-2010, 11:23 AM
Power Poster

Those are so beautiful!!! What great heirlooms :D:D:D