Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: 4th of July Quilting...what are you working on today?

Beautiful work!!!

I'm spending the day TRYING to finish up a couple UFO's. One is a basket tablerunner made from Deb Strain's Fresh Flowers (from a couple years back -- brightly colored zinnias). It's on my design wall (my living room floor) waitng for a decision on a final border. The other is a sudoku quilt for my DGS that has been quilted. When I trimmed the extra fabric after sewing on the binding, I trimmed too close and need to take out a section of binding and replace it. Just hate when I do stupid things like that!! Kids and grandkids came by for a swim before the fireworks start. Always a pleasant surprise! Hope all of you enjoyed the day as much as I have!!

Linda

I finished the blocks for Spaghetti Junction by Anka's Treasures. Then headed next door with the kids for a 'quick swim' and stayed 4 hours, even though it was 100 degrees in MN today.

I did get them all ironed! Woot! And in time for fireworks, too.

Quote Originally Posted by madamekelly View Post
    I started this quilt over a year ago using salt dyed batiks and one loud print that has all of the other colors in it. The name of the quilt will be "Celebrate your happiness!" When I finished the Dresden plate, it was a giant volcano. I had heard of the volcano problem, but never ran into it on my smaller plates. I am now a qualified expert at 'frog sewing'. Did I mention that the Dresden Plate is 48" across? DH was out of town two days last week, so I spent the time un-sewing and resewing the whole thing. It is now flat. ( I will now draw all stitching lines, that are more than a few inches long.)

The second picture is the background fabrics that it will be appliqued to. That is what I am currently doodling, how to use them for greatest effect.

This quilt is going to hang in the lobby of my friend's business in Portland, OR. I feel so honored, nervous, and excited about being asked. Thank the Lord above that he didn't give me a time limit. If any of you have any ideas for the background set up, please feel free to post them. If I use your suggestion, I will gladly give you design credit on the label. My original idea was the light fabric, framed with a narrow green border, followed by a wider dark border. That just seemed too tame for his space. Ideas?

I love Dresden plates and sure would like the measurements to yours! What about some of your gold/orange in the background? Whatever you pick I think it will be amazing!
    SheriR~

~If you can't turn the corners of your mouth up...let the middle sag!~

"Be not afraid, only believe."

Quote Originally Posted by jkwynn View Post
    I did get them all ironed! Woot! And in time for fireworks, too.

OMGOSH those are going to be cute. Can't wait to see yours too!
    SheriR~

We had company so I hand sewed the binding to several quilts! Nice work ladies!
    Peggy

The dresden blues!
    If a woman's work is never done....why start?

Nice! Looking forward to seeing the finished Dresdens

Quote Originally Posted by jkwynn View Post
    I was in a rainbow charm swap a bit ago, and decided to try to turn them into a Dresden plate something or other.

So, I'm (slowly) working on that, lol.

The charms:

The cuts:

The chain stitching:

So now, I'm taking an ironing break...hopefully will get them all ironed open before bedtime.
    Shannon

Quote Originally Posted by crafty pat View Post
    I love all the quilts you two have made, so colorful and beautiful.
    I love them all, too! Plus, they're sure further along than my project from the 4th which is laying across my ironing board... argh! When am I going to get to sew again?!?!
    (`v)
    `*..*
    .*).*)
    (.(. (..`..♥ rebecca

Quote Originally Posted by Neesie View Post
    I've been washing fabrics and have a pair of shorts on the cutting table, for DGD. Went to WalMart and Hobby Lobby, looking for a specific type of pattern fabric. Couldn't find it at either place, so came home with a ladder (DH took my last one outside and got it all nasty, so I bought a new one for the house) and some "consolation" fabric.

I hate it when I get a certain type of fabric in my head, then can't find it! :-(
    Oh, I hate that, too... I'll have something in mind & then can't find it anywhere... grrrrr! But, like you said, there's always consolation fabric (LOVE that term!)!
    (`v)
    `*..*
    .*).*)
    (.(. (..`..♥ rebecca

Blog Entries

My Dresden plate...

Quote Originally Posted by SheriR View Post
    I love Dresden plates and sure would like the measurements to yours! What about some of your gold/orange in the background? Whatever you pick I think it will be amazing!
    I used Marilyn Doheny's 25"- 9 degree circle wedge ruler. I found it at my LQS. I do know that there is also an extension piece available for it also. The office this will hang in has a grey and white color scheme, so I thought the pop of lime green would 'echo' visually.
    If you always do, what you have always done, The results never change. Change is the wings you give yourself.

The 4th of July was my Father in Laws 90th birthday. We had a wonderful day with the family. I quilted him a wall hanging with fish swimming in both directions. He loved it!

Quote Originally Posted by madamekelly View Post
    I used Marilyn Doheny's 25"- 9 degree circle wedge ruler. I found it at my LQS. I do know that there is also an extension piece available for it also. The office this will hang in has a grey and white color scheme, so I thought the pop of lime green would 'echo' visually.
    Well I need to make this. Time to order the ruler! Thanks for the info.
    SheriR~

Power Poster
    They look wonderful!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2