Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Advice on colour >

Advice on colour

Advice on colour

Old 05-16-2008, 11:13 AM

I knew within the first five seconds of looking at that what color I would use for sashing and border, and that was the same material as the red fat cat.

That was the overwhelming impression I had. The pink in there could easily overpower the whole thing if you use it or any more of it.

But, that's my personal taste. I'm here at this board looking at your pictures to see all of your personal tastes.

And that is a beautifull collection of appliques. It will be stunning when you arrange them all and finish the top whatever you choose.
Old 05-16-2008, 12:48 PM

Thanks Cordelia, I really appreciate your input and I will certainly look at the deep wine colour, I will have to find some in a different pattern as I have run out (always the way), but yes that is a distinct possibility.
Elle
Old 05-16-2008, 03:50 PM

I downloaded your image and examined it more closely and I see the blocks are all different sizes.

I'd put a deep wine colored border (about 3/4 inch) on each block and then I would use the regular background color you've chosen.

I love your cats and houses and flowers in there. It's really so very nice. It's going to be gaw-jus when you arrange them.

I can't wait to see what you do with them.
Old 05-16-2008, 05:45 PM

Hi, It is absolutely adorable! Looks like you spent a lot of hours on this.

My opinion is use a thin inside border of maybe the dark brown or dark green and use the opposite color for the bit wider border. I love the composition without sashing but that is why there is vanilla and chocolate...oops, now there is strawberry and oodles of other flavors too!

Decisions decisions.

Did you try 'auditioning' your border colors, step back and see what you like the best?

Can't wait to see how you finish it!

warm quilt hugs, sue
Old 05-16-2008, 08:27 PM

I'm with them, either dark green or the same brown you used for the fat cat. It is enchanting.
Old 05-16-2008, 09:26 PM

I am going to throw this at you, just a thought mind you, but my first thought was the tan check that is the back ground of the heart applique, I think it would tone it down enough but still not fade away like the light green,
And I absolutely love it, it is adorable :thumbup: Ya did good Elle!!!!!
Old 05-17-2008, 06:00 AM

Hi everyone, well I have taken your advice and auditioned different colours next to my quilt and what do you know, the check one that you suggested Melissa looks very good and so does the dark green. Couldnīt find the burgandy colour, think it must be all gone. So when we have our trip to Malaga, will take these colours with me and also bits of quilt to give me a better idea. Thanks again to all of you for taking the time and trouble to reply, I am sooooo happy now. Elle x
Old 05-19-2008, 09:39 AM

That quilt is just too cute!
Old 05-20-2008, 06:49 AM

Lovely quilt idea! I agree with some of the otheres. I think you should separate each one with a darker shashing. This will bring out the individualness (is that a word?) of each one, make it bigger and brighten it up! Great job!
Old 05-20-2008, 07:44 AM

Elle,What is the pattern company, I Googled Cottage Rose, but just got a bunch a junk. I love this pattern or at least your interpretation of it!