Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Advice Needed from Hand Quilting Experts >

Advice Needed from Hand Quilting Experts

Advice Needed from Hand Quilting Experts

Old 05-31-2009, 01:59 PM

Someplace I read that the 5 to 7 stitches per inch is counted on both sides meaning you have 10 to 14 per inch.!!!
Old 05-31-2009, 01:59 PM

Your quilting is beautiful. I took a class called "big Stitch" because I am hand quilting more and more of my quilts ($$). What I learned is that for 'utility' quilts and wall hangings, the Big Stitch works great. It is much bigger than a quilting stitch but it is the consistency of the stitches that makes all the difference. I am no where near as good as you are, even with the Big Stitch. Please post a picture of your entire quilt when you're done.
Old 05-31-2009, 02:27 PM

I stab and poke when I get to seams! :?
Old 06-01-2009, 04:09 PM

I used to live in central PA observed both the Mennonite and Amish quilting. Yours is better, I can tell you. When several people quilt a quilt the quilting is NEVER uniform. I've started my second quilt to be hand quilted and since it's been a while, I'm still feeling it out, getting back in the swing of things. Of course, when a quilt is put on the bed you and you stand at the door, even poor quilting looks good. Those who don't quilt will be amazed that you would even attempt anything so time consuming as what you're doing. Keep on keeping on.

Linda
Old 06-01-2009, 04:20 PM
Power Poster

Your stitches look fine to me, not an expert, but all I do is hand quilting! It isn't how small your stitches are, that will come in time, it is getting them the same size, and that only comes with practice,I think you are doing a great job!! Want to see it when you are finished.

Don't you just love quilting by hand? Or at least I hope you are relaxing enough to enjoy it!

Keep up the good work!

Ninnie
Old 06-01-2009, 05:14 PM

I think you stitiches look great.

Consisgtency is the most important thing.

Size of stitch depends on the size of your needed and also what batting you are using.

Keep going, your doing a wonderful job.
Old 06-02-2009, 04:59 AM

You did that by hand? :shock: Looks great!
Old 06-02-2009, 11:55 AM

absolutly wounderful. Your stiching is right on.
Old 06-03-2009, 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by Ninnie
Don't you just love quilting by hand? Or at least I hope you are relaxing enough to enjoy it!
Ninnie, I do dearly love quilting by hand. After work, at the end of each day, I try to quilt for at least a couple of hours. More often than not, I end up quilting until late into the night, because I just hate to stop, and I have to make myself go to bed.

I was so excited to get this top into my quilting frame so that I could hand quilt again. My first quilt was done pretty quickly (well, for hand quilting) because I really wanted to see it finished. But then the realization set in that I did not have another quilt ready to go into the frame. :cry:

This time I have learned better, I have another top in progress so that as soon as this one is out of the frame, I have another one to put in. It is a simpler top, but will allow for some fancier quilting. It will be my lesson in quilting curvy lines.

It is like when my boys were small and I watched them build things with Lego Blocks. They would work for days to build some elaborate thing, only to show it off to me and tear it down. It was in the building that they were getting the enjoyment, not the finished product. Same with quilting. I enjoy the process much more than the finished product.

Thanks for the encouragement.
Old 06-04-2009, 10:48 AM

Everything I have heard says that consistency is important, not the size of the stiches.