Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Affairs of the Heart - Block #10 Photos >

Affairs of the Heart - Block #10 Photos

Affairs of the Heart - Block #10 Photos

Old 07-05-2011, 06:57 AM

I am finding the reverse applique to be......um, interesting. It's a much slower process than I had hoped, but it is also one that I really wanted to learn. Overall, I'm pleased with how it's turning out. A few of my points look like poo, but I've learned that the toothpick is a wonderful tool to poke frayed pieces with.
Old 07-05-2011, 07:50 PM

Here is my third block. I am posting a picture before I do the embroidery because I am proud of my improvement on the applique but not so much about my embroidery. So... wanted to share it with you before I mess it up with the embroidery.

Ah, I thought I should stick with the base colours I chose for my first 3 blocks; I hope I don't regret my desition later of not incorporating more colors. Since we are doing rows if I don't put them now I wont be able to add them later.

What is your creative flow? Are you adding colours as you go?

Leakus AOTH #10
[ATTACH=CONFIG]221585[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-221579.jpe  
Old 07-05-2011, 08:06 PM

Andrea, this is beautiful. I like the fact that you have decided to control the colors in your quilt. I think it will be smashing when it's all done. Your embroidery will improve as you do more & more of it!

Your reverse applique turned out perfect!!!
Old 07-05-2011, 08:41 PM

Andrea, I LOVE your block! You are doing such a wonderful on all of your blocks! :thumbup: :thumbup: This particular block scares me a bit. I've never done reverse applique but have always wanted to try it. I'm figuring that by the time I have this quilt finished I will be all set to design my own masterpiece quilt. ;-) I'm learning so much already. I've made some improvements on my second block and am "redesigning" it to suit my tastes. :roll: I'm not saying yet what I'm going to do, but I hope I don't get put on the naughty list for doing it. :oops: :oops: Let's just say I like the more open and lacy looking blocks best so I'm making the ones that aren't like that a bit more open and lacy. :? Now is that as clear as mud to everyone?? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Old 07-05-2011, 10:10 PM

Pab......YES clear as mud and you are not giving anything away. I love the fact you are doing your own thing and look forward to seeing your block.

Andrea, fabulous what you have done with that one. You reverse is perfection.
Old 07-05-2011, 10:41 PM

Andrea your block is great.

I intend to use whatever colours I fancy for each block but I am not going to sew the rows together as I go so that I can shuffle the blocks at the end to arrange the colours evenly.
Old 07-05-2011, 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by Deecee
Andrea your block is great.

I intend to use whatever colours I fancy for each block but I am not going to sew the rows together as I go so that I can shuffle the blocks at the end to arrange the colours evenly.
Thats what I have done and it works better for me that way. I just chose my colours at random, happens I have a lot of pink in it, but some blocks I went off a bit at random so shuffled they fit in real good.
Old 07-06-2011, 05:12 AM

Wow, Andrea your block is FAB U LOUS! I agree with you that you should be proud of this one as your applique work is spot on.

I am doing mine with just scraps and a few pieces from my stash when I need color. As you can see from my posts, it will be more scrappy than most. I chose to do QAyg method and am now assembling my center 16 blocks and so far (I've just sewn together the first 3 blocks) the colors are coordinating nicely. When I get to the outside blocks I'll rearrange if necessary to coordinate my colors but think that won't be necessary due to the black background which brings everything together.
Old 07-06-2011, 05:18 AM

Looking forward to seeing it very much
Old 07-06-2011, 06:20 AM

Andrea, I LOVE your block! Your applique work is so perfect. I also like the idea of having controlled colors. Can't wait to see the complete top.

Mine is a mish-mash of batiks. Still haven't figured out what sashing or border fabric to use.