Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Affairs of the Heart - Block #8 Photos >

Affairs of the Heart - Block #8 Photos

Affairs of the Heart - Block #8 Photos

Old 05-07-2011, 04:21 PM

Kathy, I must have missed something...why are you redoing your AOTH blocks? I thought your initial blocks were gorgeous! Well, this one is too..are you making two quilts?
Old 05-07-2011, 04:44 PM
Power Poster

Kathy...its gorgeous! See...you do wonderful hand applique AND embroidery! I can easily see it and I think you'll like it better the further you go on the blocks. I love my R/D thread, but to be honest, if I didn't have so many done..I'd change it to something different. Do the next block and see what you think..if you like it better with 3 strands...who's to tell you no?
Old 05-07-2011, 06:47 PM

Patti, your experience is why I'm using regular embroidery floss. I love RD, but didn't want to have to fight with it when floss plays so nicely. I'll try the next block that has embroidery out in the black space before I decide if I'm going to use 2 or 3 strands.

Thanks for the compliment, just don't look too closely at the alignment of the yellow/purple pieces. I ended up having to make the center circle a lot bigger than called for as not one single one wanted to stay put!

And: I really don't like those slivers on the innie points :thumbdown:
Old 05-07-2011, 06:54 PM

Candi, I started over for 2 reasons.

1. I really wasn't happy with the way my bobbin work was turning out, especially after I made one of the inner borders; and

2. Dear, sweet cat, The Princess, pooped on a pile of the borders & blocks I was working on. I really can't get too mad at her as she's 17 years old. Threw the whole she-bang away. Still have the center 16 blocks & maybe someday, when I don't have a single, solitairy thing to do, I might finish it up into a small wall hanging.

I have done quite a bit of freezer paper applique in my life, so I'm going back into my confort zone. Decided I don't really need to learn a new skill (needleturn) when the old skill still works just fine!
Old 05-08-2011, 04:02 AM

Kathy, both sets look wonderful but I understand the comfort zone situation. I have gotten a little frustrated with the freezer paper applique and have started on a block using just the fabric to underturn. It seems to be working better for me---go figure! So far, I've tried raw edge with machine finish, templates being removed from the back after finish, freezer paper and now free style. What else can I try---bobbin work? Hmmm.
Old 05-08-2011, 04:21 AM

Kathy, ouch...but you are right can't get mad at a princess :P
Your work looks fabulous either way. Thanks for sharing.
Old 05-08-2011, 04:26 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Mousie
thanks, kathy.

Lace, are your borders 1.5" finished?
So, then you cut them 2.25?
No, I cut them 2 inches Well, that's not exactly true, I cut them larger to start with, and trimmed down to 2 inchs. It gives a little leeway for fraying etc.
Old 05-08-2011, 04:32 PM

Uh, wow, uh beauteous! You folks are artists...me,I'm just a copycat...teach me,teach me!
Old 05-09-2011, 03:56 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Cottontop
Uh, wow, uh beauteous! You folks are artists...me,I'm just a copycat...teach me,teach me!
We are copycats too, we are all working from a book called Affairs of the Heart, though there are some nice individual touches going on in some of the blocks. The official start is in about a month's time, and the schedule is for one block per week.
Old 05-09-2011, 06:07 AM
Power Poster

Copycats???? Nooooooo, pattern followers, yes :), well, maybe using it as a "suggestion"..

Lesley is right though, Cotton, you should join us!