Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Another Storage Idea from Michael's

Senior Member quilter on the eastern edge's Avatar
    Here's an idea for storage for your fabrics and patterns until you are ready to work on them. I use these 12" square containers - scrapbookers think they are for them but we know better...right??. They are stackable and are just the right size to fit on a shelf in your storage area. I find I can keep myself organized - fabric and pattern all together in one container.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    I haven't seen that type but I like it. I like the way it opens.

Like your idea. Will have to check this out.. Thanks.

BMP
    Blog Entries
    I am a former scrapebooker and I now use these this exact way ! I also stacked them in order of project to be done.

oh I LOVE those..they go on sale pretty often. I usually buy a couple at $4 or $5 a piece. Much better than some of the 'quilting' organizers I have seen...I need to stop buying them as I keep FILLING them..and not FINISHING the projects!

You can also get the 12 1/2" x 12 1/2" storage containers (sometimes even in color -- I have a purple one) that will hold your completed blocks as you work on your quilt without wrinkling them all up!

I like that...where did you find it?

Senior Member Quilter Day-by-Day's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by quilter on the eastern edge
    Here's an idea for storage for your fabrics and patterns until you are ready to work on them. I use these 12" square containers - scrapbookers think they are for them but we know better...right??. They are stackable and are just the right size to fit on a shelf in your storage area. I find I can keep myself organized - fabric and pattern all together in one container.
    How much did you pay for them? I just looked at them at Joanns.

Senior Member Quilter Day-by-Day's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by quilter on the eastern edge

Quote Originally Posted by sewjoyce
    You can also get the 12 1/2" x 12 1/2" storage containers (sometimes even in color -- I have a purple one) that will hold your completed blocks as you work on your quilt without wrinkling them all up!
    Pizza boxes work real well too. I will admit these look prettier, but the price is right on the pizza boxes.

Joanns carries a similar container but it has a handle for easy transport, I didn't know that michaels had these and sometimes as cheap as $4-5 wow what a great deal! I can always use the none handle ones for storage and when ready to take a project on the go use one with a handle. Thanks for sharing I will be looking for these.

Quote Originally Posted by featherweight
    Quote Originally Posted by sewjoyce
    Pizza boxes work real well too. I will admit these look prettier, but the price is right on the pizza boxes.
    lol -- free is GOOD anytime! :lol: :lol:

Super Member Central Ohio Quilter's Avatar
    The container looks great, but I also love your tablecloth! Very pretty!

http://www.target.com/IRIS-Scrapbook...n&frombrowse=0

This is the unit that I have - actually I have two stacked on top of each other. They are the same boxes but a little cheaper per piece and the rack is great. If you watch, they put them on sale for $35-40 about every 10-12 weeks. You can order them on-line or buy them in the store. You can check on-line to see which stores have them in store. And if you call them, they wll hold them for you until the end of business that day.

Senior Member quilter on the eastern edge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by soccertxi
    oh I LOVE those..they go on sale pretty often. I usually buy a couple at $4 or $5 a piece. Much better than some of the 'quilting' organizers I have seen...I need to stop buying them as I keep FILLING them..and not FINISHING the projects!
    $4 - $5 ????? Lucky you! I think the cheapest I got one was $10.00. The regular price is about $14.00.

Blog Entries
    I put a string of clear mini Christmas Lights in these type of containers. It becomes an instant light box for tracing applique designs. ;)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DawnMarie
    I put a string of clear mini Christmas Lights in these type of containers. It becomes an instant light box for tracing applique designs. ;)
    What a cool idea! :thumbup:

I have about 10 of these. I use them to keep projects separate as I collect fabrics for the project. I also keep the pattern there too so I know what the fabrics are to be used for, also any matchng thread, buttons, etc that go with the project. They are great for keeping projects organized

Quote Originally Posted by Snorky Lvs2Quilt
    I have about 10 of these. I use them to keep projects separate as I collect fabrics for the project. I also keep the pattern there too so I know what the fabrics are to be used for, also any matchng thread, buttons, etc that go with the project. They are great for keeping projects organized
    I have gotten them at Joann's also but wait until I have a coupon to buy them

I have similar one's with the handle and I got mine at the Container Store.
    Just looked online at Container Store calls them Magazine stg. They have 2 sizes and when not on sale 7.99 and 9.99

Great idea. I'll search these out.

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltnCowgirl
    What a cool idea! :thumbup:
    I agree!!

That's much better than the old paper ream box I use now to store finished quilt blocks.

Dawn Marie that is a great idea, thanks for sharing - I am definitely going to borrow it!

They put these containers on sale 50% off all the time at JoAnns. I haven't bought any as they are advertised for scrapbooking, now I'm going to pick up a few for my projects. I love the colored ones they have available at my local store. Recently they have even had holiday colors with glitter in them, so pretty!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast