Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 44

Thread: Another Storage Idea from Michael's

  1. #1
    Senior Member quilter on the eastern edge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Newfoundland, Canada
    Posts
    645
    Here's an idea for storage for your fabrics and patterns until you are ready to work on them. I use these 12" square containers - scrapbookers think they are for them but we know better...right??. They are stackable and are just the right size to fit on a shelf in your storage area. I find I can keep myself organized - fabric and pattern all together in one container.
    Attached Images Attached Images


  2. #2
    Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    17,462
    I haven't seen that type but I like it. I like the way it opens.

  3. #3
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    1,216
    Like your idea. Will have to check this out.. Thanks.

  4. #4
    BMP
    BMP is offline
    Super Member BMP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    2,504
    Blog Entries
    4
    I am a former scrapebooker and I now use these this exact way ! I also stacked them in order of project to be done.

  5. #5
    Super Member soccertxi's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Glendale AZ
    Posts
    1,502
    oh I LOVE those..they go on sale pretty often. I usually buy a couple at $4 or $5 a piece. Much better than some of the 'quilting' organizers I have seen...I need to stop buying them as I keep FILLING them..and not FINISHING the projects!

  6. #6
    Super Member sewjoyce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    9,664
    You can also get the 12 1/2" x 12 1/2" storage containers (sometimes even in color -- I have a purple one) that will hold your completed blocks as you work on your quilt without wrinkling them all up!

  7. #7
    Super Member SuziC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Upstate NY
    Posts
    3,711
    I like that...where did you find it?

  8. #8
    Senior Member Quilter Day-by-Day's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Beaverton,Michigan
    Posts
    809
    Blog Entries
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by quilter on the eastern edge
    Here's an idea for storage for your fabrics and patterns until you are ready to work on them. I use these 12" square containers - scrapbookers think they are for them but we know better...right??. They are stackable and are just the right size to fit on a shelf in your storage area. I find I can keep myself organized - fabric and pattern all together in one container.
    How much did you pay for them? I just looked at them at Joanns.

  9. #9
    Senior Member Quilter Day-by-Day's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Beaverton,Michigan
    Posts
    809
    Blog Entries
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by quilter on the eastern edge
    Here's an idea for storage for your fabrics and patterns until you are ready to work on them. I use these 12" square containers - scrapbookers think they are for them but we know better...right??. They are stackable and are just the right size to fit on a shelf in your storage area. I find I can keep myself organized - fabric and pattern all together in one container.

  10. #10
    Super Member featherweight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Westminster, Co
    Posts
    2,701
    Quote Originally Posted by sewjoyce
    You can also get the 12 1/2" x 12 1/2" storage containers (sometimes even in color -- I have a purple one) that will hold your completed blocks as you work on your quilt without wrinkling them all up!
    Pizza boxes work real well too. I will admit these look prettier, but the price is right on the pizza boxes.

  11. #11
    Super Member trif's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Orange county, CA
    Posts
    1,491
    Joanns carries a similar container but it has a handle for easy transport, I didn't know that michaels had these and sometimes as cheap as $4-5 wow what a great deal! I can always use the none handle ones for storage and when ready to take a project on the go use one with a handle. Thanks for sharing I will be looking for these.

  12. #12
    Super Member sewjoyce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    9,664
    Quote Originally Posted by featherweight
    Quote Originally Posted by sewjoyce
    You can also get the 12 1/2" x 12 1/2" storage containers (sometimes even in color -- I have a purple one) that will hold your completed blocks as you work on your quilt without wrinkling them all up!
    Pizza boxes work real well too. I will admit these look prettier, but the price is right on the pizza boxes.
    lol -- free is GOOD anytime! :lol: :lol:

  13. #13
    Super Member Central Ohio Quilter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Central Ohio
    Posts
    1,419
    The container looks great, but I also love your tablecloth! Very pretty!

  14. #14
    Super Member jrhboxers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Lexington Park, Maryland
    Posts
    1,143
    http://www.target.com/IRIS-Scrapbook...n&frombrowse=0

    This is the unit that I have - actually I have two stacked on top of each other. They are the same boxes but a little cheaper per piece and the rack is great. If you watch, they put them on sale for $35-40 about every 10-12 weeks. You can order them on-line or buy them in the store. You can check on-line to see which stores have them in store. And if you call them, they wll hold them for you until the end of business that day.

  15. #15
    Senior Member quilter on the eastern edge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Newfoundland, Canada
    Posts
    645
    Quote Originally Posted by soccertxi
    oh I LOVE those..they go on sale pretty often. I usually buy a couple at $4 or $5 a piece. Much better than some of the 'quilting' organizers I have seen...I need to stop buying them as I keep FILLING them..and not FINISHING the projects!
    $4 - $5 ????? Lucky you! I think the cheapest I got one was $10.00. The regular price is about $14.00.

  16. #16
    Senior Member DawnMarie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    843
    Blog Entries
    9
    I put a string of clear mini Christmas Lights in these type of containers. It becomes an instant light box for tracing applique designs. ;)

  17. #17
    Super Member QuiltnCowgirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Calif (San Joaquin Valley)
    Posts
    3,591
    Blog Entries
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by DawnMarie
    I put a string of clear mini Christmas Lights in these type of containers. It becomes an instant light box for tracing applique designs. ;)
    What a cool idea! :thumbup:

  18. #18
    Super Member Snorky Lvs2Quilt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Southern Calif.
    Posts
    2,308
    I have about 10 of these. I use them to keep projects separate as I collect fabrics for the project. I also keep the pattern there too so I know what the fabrics are to be used for, also any matchng thread, buttons, etc that go with the project. They are great for keeping projects organized

  19. #19
    Super Member Snorky Lvs2Quilt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Southern Calif.
    Posts
    2,308
    Quote Originally Posted by Snorky Lvs2Quilt
    I have about 10 of these. I use them to keep projects separate as I collect fabrics for the project. I also keep the pattern there too so I know what the fabrics are to be used for, also any matchng thread, buttons, etc that go with the project. They are great for keeping projects organized
    I have gotten them at Joann's also but wait until I have a coupon to buy them

  20. #20
    Senior Member quiltstodo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Santa Clara, CA
    Posts
    597
    I have similar one's with the handle and I got mine at the Container Store.
    Just looked online at Container Store calls them Magazine stg. They have 2 sizes and when not on sale 7.99 and 9.99

  21. #21
    Member mistycatbaby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    New Brunswick Canada
    Posts
    77
    Great idea. I'll search these out.

  22. #22
    Super Member sewjoyce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    9,664
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiltnCowgirl
    Quote Originally Posted by DawnMarie
    I put a string of clear mini Christmas Lights in these type of containers. It becomes an instant light box for tracing applique designs. ;)
    What a cool idea! :thumbup:
    I agree!!

  23. #23
    Super Member Darlene's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Columbus, Ohio
    Posts
    1,903
    That's much better than the old paper ream box I use now to store finished quilt blocks.

  24. #24
    Super Member JEM65's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Metro Atlanta
    Posts
    1,660
    Quote Originally Posted by DawnMarie
    I put a string of clear mini Christmas Lights in these type of containers. It becomes an instant light box for tracing applique designs. ;)
    Dawn Marie that is a great idea, thanks for sharing - I am definitely going to borrow it!

  25. #25
    Super Member JEM65's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Metro Atlanta
    Posts
    1,660
    They put these containers on sale 50% off all the time at JoAnns. I haven't bought any as they are advertised for scrapbooking, now I'm going to pick up a few for my projects. I love the colored ones they have available at my local store. Recently they have even had holiday colors with glitter in them, so pretty!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.