Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 45

Thread: Baby quilt with a shirred border

  1. #1
    Super Member Pamela Artman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Michigan U.P.
    Posts
    1,076
    This was for our 4th grandbaby (we have 9 total!) My DIL picked the pattern and said she wanted bright fabrics. The shirred border was something different.
    Attached Images Attached Images


  2. #2
    Moderator littlehud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    SW Iowa
    Posts
    32,958
    That is absolutely beautiful. I really love that border. You did a wonderful job. Thanks for sharing.

  3. #3
    Junior Member dbarbey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    107
    that is so cute!

  4. #4
    Super Member beachlady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    6,753
    Beautiful baby quilt.

  5. #5
    Google Goddess craftybear's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Central Indiana (USA)
    Posts
    30,668
    Blog Entries
    194
    Wow, cute baby quilt, Love the bright colors!

  6. #6
    Super Member jljack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    North Carolina - But otherwise, NOTW
    Posts
    8,073
    Blog Entries
    9
    I recently saw my first shirred border on a round-robin quilt. My quilt guild friend was finishing the shirred border, and showed it to me. I thought how striking that is, and now I really want to do one. Just haven't had an opportunity. I'll have to make the opportunity, I guess. Love that quilt...all the colors are really grand and bold!!

  7. #7
    Super Member GailG's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    6,764
    Gorgeous! Is the shirred border pieced or is it striped fabric? And was the shirring done with a machine attachment or was it done by pulling threads? "Inquiring minds want to know." {{{{{{{grin}}}}}}}}}

  8. #8
    Super Member Quilt4u's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Merrimac, MA
    Posts
    9,035
    Blog Entries
    1
    Pretty!!!!!

  9. #9
    reneebobby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    cleveland ohio
    Posts
    3,907
    Very pretty

  10. #10
    Super Member Elisabrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Cody, Wyoming
    Posts
    6,396
    I have never seen a shirred border. I bet that took a bit extra time. The colors are fantastic. What little one would not love that?

  11. #11
    Power Poster MamaBear61's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Milverton, ON, Canada
    Posts
    13,231
    What a pretty quilt

  12. #12
    jewelps's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Joplin, MO
    Posts
    949
    very nice

  13. #13
    Super Member Pamela Artman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Michigan U.P.
    Posts
    1,076
    Quote Originally Posted by GailG
    Gorgeous! Is the shirred border pieced or is it striped fabric? And was the shirring done with a machine attachment or was it done by pulling threads? "Inquiring minds want to know." {{{{{{{grin}}}}}}}}}
    The border is a striped fabric. I basted along the edges and pulled the threads to gather it up. My girlfriend started to do one on a large quilt and she gave up and took it out. It was just too much gathering for a large quilt. So, if you do one, start small!! LOL

  14. #14
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    5,839
    Blog Entries
    1
    I have never seen one either! and it looks so cool! great job!

  15. #15
    Marjpf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Greater Los Angeles Area
    Posts
    1,915
    I've never seen it before, but will now add it to my idea stash. It looks great!

  16. #16
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Port Angeles, WA
    Posts
    12,753
    very pretty

  17. #17
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    3,393
    Very nice. :thumbup:

  18. #18
    Super Member GailG's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    6,764
    Quote Originally Posted by Pamela Artman
    Quote Originally Posted by GailG
    Gorgeous! Is the shirred border pieced or is it striped fabric? And was the shirring done with a machine attachment or was it done by pulling threads? "Inquiring minds want to know." {{{{{{{grin}}}}}}}}}
    The border is a striped fabric. I basted along the edges and pulled the threads to gather it up. My girlfriend started to do one on a large quilt and she gave up and took it out. It was just too much gathering for a large quilt. So, if you do one, start small!! LOL
    Thanks for the response, but I'm too old to sweat the big stuff like that. I just wondered if you had pieced the border and then gathered -- which would have been a monumental task.

    I remember making the swing skirts with shirring between the tiers when I was a teenager. (We called them peasant skirts.) Lots of pulling of threads and spacing gathers! Now I've really dated myself, huh. That was in the fifties!! There is a ruffling attachment that can be used, but I've never figured out how much ruffling to do on how much fabric. :roll: So I'll stick to the simpler stuff. Thanks for sharing your beautiful work with us.

  19. #19
    Senior Member Rachel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    918
    wow, that's adorable... but I have a question, how would you quilt it? do you just quilt like its flat??? very cute though, you did an awesome job.

  20. #20
    Martina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    746
    I learn something new every day here.shirred border..are the any instruction ( instruction for dummies :-) on how to do it here on the board? I love it...your quilt is very pretty!

  21. #21
    Super Member azam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Sunny California
    Posts
    1,431
    Hmmm, interesting. I've only seen that done on antique quilts, the satin ones.

  22. #22
    Super Member Pamela Artman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Michigan U.P.
    Posts
    1,076
    Quote Originally Posted by Rachel
    wow, that's adorable... but I have a question, how would you quilt it? do you just quilt like its flat??? very cute though, you did an awesome job.
    I hand quilted this quilt and quilted on either side of it, but left the shirring as it was.

  23. #23
    Super Member Pamela Artman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Michigan U.P.
    Posts
    1,076
    Quote Originally Posted by Martina
    I learn something new every day here.shirred border..are the any instruction ( instruction for dummies :-) on how to do it here on the board? I love it...your quilt is very pretty!
    It's very easy to do. Just cut your fabric about 1 1/2 times what you need and gather both sides to fit the borders next to it.

  24. #24
    Super Member Oklahoma Suzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Home town: Rehoboth, MA Now living in OK
    Posts
    7,897
    Cute.

  25. #25
    Martina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    746
    Quote Originally Posted by Pamela Artman
    Quote Originally Posted by Martina
    I learn something new every day here.shirred border..are the any instruction ( instruction for dummies :-) on how to do it here on the board? I love it...your quilt is very pretty!
    It's very easy to do. Just cut your fabric about 1 1/2 times what you need and gather both sides to fit the borders next to it.
    sounds easy enough..I will try that...thank you :-D

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.