Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Baby Quilt

Heres a baby quilt I made, now all I need is a baby to give it to. Its been a while since I made it but thought I'd show you, and of coarse its hand quilted

Karen
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thats so pretty Karen......I love doing baby quilts ( you've just reminded me that I've got another one to put on here....must do it tomorrow!)

Karen

very pretty........good job.......what kind of quilting did you do :?:

That is such a pretty quilt! You did a beautiful job. You know :-) NICU's and maternity wards most always welcome donated baby quilts, hats, etc. Most often if you give them to a maternity ward, they will be sure to give it to a family in need.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    That is so pretty!! How big do you gals make your baby quilts?

Pretty!! I love the colors that you chose.

Blog Entries
    Very pretty! Love the colors and design :D

That is beautiful. My baby quilts are so much more simple than that!

M

Blog Entries
    This is so pretty!

Oh, it is just gorgeous. I love the colours. It will become a treasure for sure. Great job!

So sweet! I know you'll find a lucky baby!

It is very pretty... I try and do some quilts that I keep back.. It is great having one that you can grab and wrap.. The others idea of a NICU is also very good if you choose to go that route..

Blog Entries
    What a pretty baby quilt! I just love to do those too. I like to keep 1 or 2 around...(you never know when you might need 1), then I love to donate them to Project Linus.

Your Baby quilt reminds me of Easter. It's very pretty! HAPPY EASTER TO EVERYONE!!!

I like it. Very colorful. Perfect for a baby!

Kyia

I LOVE your color scheme. I work in a large ER department and try to make baby quilts for those coworkers that are expecting and right now, you can tell it was a long winter, fall, etc. I am always looking for new, interesting fabric and patterns for baby quilts. Sometimes I take a larger one and scale it down. I love making the smaller size because it is so much easier to deal with on the machine. I can't handle a lot of it- I have tremors and my husband cuts for me. I have just recently discovered the new "x block" template and plan to use it on my next quilt.
    Do you always use just plain color? I almost always have a "theme" and sometimes I feel that it is overwhelming with all prints. Any hints or suggestions? I try to ask or hint around w/ the parents to be as to what they like or want for the nursery. One was a little girl that both mom and dad were fish maniacs and the quilt was unisex fishing until the very end when they found out it was a girl. So, it was finished in pink and purple binding. I am still a beginner after about 3 years of this- some day I'll be better. :lol:

I don't know if I commented earlier or not, but I love the way it just flows. I'm w/ you- whomever said mine are less elaborate- I go with a theme and then try to figure out a pattern from there. I like the NICU idea- we have one at the hospital where I work and never thought to ask them if they needed any. I have such a short attention span, baby quilts are great for me and NICU quilts would be even smaller... :lol:

Karen that is pretty. Can you tell me how big it is? I have to make 2 baby quilts for 2 different familes at church. I have some nice fabric but I'm just not positive what is a good size for one. I don't want a crib size, just a normal baby quilt. I haven't had babies for 35 years so just am not sure.

thanks,
    Connie

Connie,
    Not to move in on Karen's beautiful creation, but when I make baby quilts, I try to make them about the size of the batting, but lately I have been sticking with about 1- 11/2 yards because it is so easy to know the dimensions that way and figure out blocks, quarter triangles, etc. Crib batting is usually 45x60, but I bought cotton batting crib size and it was 48x60. I must say that baby quilts have been the only cotton battings I have soaked so they don't shrink or pucker. And it has worked well. I almost have the teddy bear toille done! :D

Perfect for some lucky baby. Love the colors you used.

Karen, I do work with differnet patterns on the baby quilts. I usually try to buy the pink kor blue or even purple's for borders but the fabric I bought this time for the boy is light blue with darker blue dots and white rings around the dots and some the light blue and ros of sailboats and little ducks and rows with a teddy bear in a tub with his sailboat and duck and it says tub time. I have bigger light blue panels that have big teddy bears on them I might try to incorporate into it some how. For the other couple that don't know what they are having I bought some fabric with bunnies on it and there are pink, green yellow, purple color squares around the bunies. I found some other that I just love. It has alll those colors too but has things from the bible like a vase that says John 3:16 andhas crosses, lambs and says Jesus, Lamb of God and Faith Hope Love, Alleluia, and rejoice. It has the bird coming back to the ark with the leaves in his mouth. It also has patch works places in it with all the colors. I bought some white with purple dots and another piece with bigger dots, bunnies and chicks sitting in an egg shell. I got a royal blue to match some of it. Someone at the fabric store told me to make the 40 x 40 yesterday. That isn't too bad just to wrap a baby in to take to church or where ever. I may try that size and just use an easy pattern I already have and can use stitch in the ditch and not have to pay a quilter, although I have one that owes me some work because I bought her a work book and paid for her next 2 classes at Joann's. I'm sure the colors will be OK.

I always use cotot batting on baby quilts I never thought to shrink them though I do wash them before I wrap them. I've only done two in the past. One is crib size and the other was about 40x40 ish. I have pictures I'll put on here. One of these I had mickey mouse fabric in flannel so I used colored square and white squares with the mickey mouse image in yellow flannel. The other I had blue fabric with crayons and letters on it which is the one I made crib size.

Conblond2005,
    Wow! I love your schemes on these two. I love squares- so simple yet can be so unique. I did one quilt where I did squares on the tilt and it made it look so interesting and "hard to do" but it was simple. I just found that jinnybeyer.com site- lots of great free patterns! I'll have to get a pic of the baby quilt I am working on now before I give it to the baby it's for. :D

I've never tried to do anything on point. I know they are pretty that way. Someday I'll have to try it. Right now I'm trying to finish that Colorful Colorado 2007 Shop Hop quilt. I have aother Quick Trip around the World Quilt already cut out because silly me bought 1 yard of 9 different f abrics and only needed half a yard. I thought it looked like a lot of fabric after I sewed and cut it all out. Guess it's OK. My friend in England wants one and it's her color so I need to get to it soon then come the 2 baby quilts. I have a really pretty stained glass quilt I need to finish. It still needs a binding and needs to be quilted and I have a reallly cool birdhouse quilt that I need to sew down the flower appliques on. Maybe someday I'll catch up. I still have my flannel fabrics I bought for a Christmas Quilt for myself. Maybe someday I'll get to cutting it out.

The first quilt is one of my first wall hangings. It is from Elenor Burns patterns. The last one is an unfinished top of the 2007 Shop Hop Quilt from Denver's Shop Hop. Trying to get it done and quilted.
    Connie

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast