Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
The barn quilt top is done.  Page 10!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! >

The barn quilt top is done. Page 10!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The barn quilt top is done. Page 10!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 01-19-2008, 10:58 AM

Okay--I have an update. Trees!

Oh boy what a time consuming process. I had to figure out how to sew the rectangles onto the tree parts--I used the diagonal method, but never knew the rectangles had to be turned vertically. That was lesson one. :roll:

Then I figured out I had to draw the diagnoal sewing line on two different ways--from the opposite corner for each side. That was lesson two. :roll:

Then I had to remember to look back at the sheet I colored to see where blue had to be. And what shade of blue. Lesson three. :roll:

When I sewed the tree blocks onto the barn, I thought at first seams must line up somewhere, but they don't. :roll: (you know what number that was)

Then I could not decide if the same shades should at least match on a bough--or if it should all be random. I couldn't help but match across a little bit--but think maybe I shouldn't have. It might look striped :?: I still haven't learned that lesson.

I'm sure learning a lot. :wink:

I only need 4 small trees--they're done. I need 10 big ones. All the strips for them are done, so it should go quickly now.

Organized randomness sure takes time. :shock:

Attached Thumbnails attachment-21554.jpe  
Old 01-19-2008, 11:17 AM

good progress!
Old 01-19-2008, 12:13 PM

very nice, i love how that little pile of strips and squares arranged itself into some lovely trees :lol: :lol: :lol:

seriously, barn this is going to be an amazing quilt. you go girl :!: :!: :!:
Old 01-19-2008, 12:48 PM

A Beauty Un-Folding..........
Old 01-19-2008, 12:49 PM

Thank you for the update! It's nice that you also tell us about the frustrations so that we beginers can see that things do not always run smoothly! :D

I am so loving this! It's a good thing you've made it clear this quilt is for you 'cause I'm thinking you'd be LOTS of pm's telling you where you can send the quilt to! 8)
Old 01-19-2008, 01:17 PM

. . . Including ME! 8)
Old 01-19-2008, 02:33 PM

[b]If this was 1970 I would be sooooooo jelaous that you could figure all this out and do it, but I wouldn't tell cos' that wouldn't be cool...[/b] 8) :?
So thank goodness it's 2008 and I can say you are sooooooo talented and I soooooo appreciate your work!:lol: and yet still so 8)
Old 01-19-2008, 05:36 PM

WOW Barn. This is turning out magnificantly. I can not wait to see more pictures of how it progresses. Great job!!!!

Kyia :D
Old 01-19-2008, 05:51 PM

Don't you just love how when you make a quilt it kind of takes on a personality of its own? Every new step you take adds to its beauty. It's kind of like taking a trip where you sort of know where you're going but there's a surprise around every corner--mostly surprises of the good kind!

This quilt is going to be amazing!!! Can't wait to see it completed!
Old 01-19-2008, 06:08 PM

Okay--I did some more. I had to trim here and there, but I like it. :D The only issue I see coming is that I've used a lot of the darker of the lighter greens--oh sheesh, let me try that again--I've used a lot of the darker grass pieces which leaves a lot of lighter grass pieces. I think I should have mixed them up more, I just kept liking the darker ones so picked them from the pile. I hope I don't end up having to make more....

This is tricky! But I can do it!! I might even finish the top except for the borders tomorrow!! I'm looking forward to the log cabin squares. I've made so many of those I'll be back into familiar territory. :lol:

Thanks for your encouragement. :D
Attached Thumbnails attachment-21555.jpe