Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Binding for a Charm Quilt?

So what color should I use for the binding for Erin's charm quilt?

In case you can't see, the quilt is on point and I am not using set in triangles but rather having a zig zag edge to the quilt...

I am at a loss! I wondered about using strips of solid colored fabric ( red, yellow, blue, green, pink, purple, etc) and making binding and let the colors fall where they may on the edge...

HELP!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

I think just a solid color would give it some stability. The whole thing is very busy so adding a solid color for the border would make it really pop and show off the inside of the quilt instead of drawing attention to the border.

Just my two cents worth.

And BTW, that's is simply gorgeous!

I like your idea. Another would be use black, which would set off the colors nicely and give a 'frame' to the quilt.

Beautiful quilt. Like the dark frame idea.

Here's my thought.....I see dark blue.....

Just looked at the quilt again, you said you have zig zag edges...take another picture of the edges. You could cut off the triangle to make the sides straight or make a facing for the zig zags. I put prairie points on a quilt long long ago and it turned out very nice.

I like Shelley's idea...either black or a dark navy blue would really frame the quilt.

Dark solid border. Navy or black.

bj
    Wow! That is beautiful! I think I agree with the others...I'd go with a solid dark border.

OOOOH mamagus-----that is incredible! Love it! :D :D

I would give it a nice black edge to set it off nicely.

My first thought was black. I think a dark blue would also be nice. It looks fabulous Lori! :D

Blog Entries
    I'm going with black to make it POP.

Beautiful!!!

Gorgeous quilt!! I would use black. I just like the way black makes colors pop.

Banned
    Black polka dots! I love Dinky Dots!

farscapegal
    That quilt is gorgeous.

For me personally I don't like "framing" a quilt. I like for my binding to match my borders. When my border is multicolored with different fabrics like yours is I would measure each section, add 1/2" and cut each color to match. Then I sew the pieces together and bind. Hope that made sense. It is a lot of work, I know, but the results can be stunning.

Sybil

Quote Originally Posted by farscapegal
    That quilt is gorgeous.

For me personally I don't like "framing" a quilt. I like for my binding to match my borders. When my border is multicolored with different fabrics like yours is I would measure each section, add 1/2" and cut each color to match. Then I sew the pieces together and bind. Hope that made sense. It is a lot of work, I know, but the results can be stunning.

Sybil
    That's what I thought I'd like to do... but I wondered about the bulk of the seams in the v of the zags. And making each piece the exact length scares me.

This is a Christmas gift for my daughter. It is a charm quilt with 1296 triangles. 1294 are unique. The last two pieces are identical. It is a "courting" quilt. The young lady gives it to the man who asks her to marry. IF he can find the two identical pieces then theirs will be a "charmed" life together. If he can't find them then she will have to live like the rest of us!!

So I have 10 days until she gets home and a whole lot of zig-zag binding to get done!!

Blog Entries
    I guess I'm odd Mama...I like your idea the best..matching the colors. It will be more work, but sometimes that really pays off in big dividends! I love what the quilt represents...gee, I've been happily married to my 1st DH ( :wink: ) for almost 25 yrs and I'd be scared to make him look for the identical pieces...he isn't all that observant...he'd just say...well, its in there somewhere, now what and when are we eating? :roll:

farscapegal
    10 days is not enough time to do the matching and cutting but maybe one day you could make a smaller one and try it with matching binding.

Sybil

I like a scrappy binding but unless you were crazy on top of it it just wouldn't look right here. I've found the more seams I try to put in my binding no matter how hard I work at it, the more it tries to "veer" off straight.

What about a batik that has a rainbow of the colors from the quilt in it? That's the best of both worlds and it wont show dirt the way black would or show wear the way some dark colors might.

Beautiful quilt!!!!! I like the idea of a dark blue or black for the binding :roll: :roll:

farscapegal
    Quote Originally Posted by Elizabeth A.
    I like a scrappy binding but unless you were crazy on top of it it just wouldn't look right here. I've found the more seams I try to put in my binding no matter how hard I work at it, the more it tries to "veer" off straight.
    I have never had a problem keeping my binding straight and not "veering". I do most of my quilts with multiple seams and have been happy with the result. It is time consuming though.

What about a batik that has a rainbow of the colors from the quilt in it? That's the best of both worlds and it wont show dirt the way black would or show wear the way some dark colors might.
    That is a good idea too.

Sybil

Izy
    Beautiful quilt, with a wonderful story behind it :D

If you had more time I have to say the multicoloured binding to match each piece would be amazing...but time is not on your side, so I agree with the majority either navy blue or black binding would look great :D

Oh decisions decisions :lol: :lol:

Beautiful quilt. I like the navy idea. You don't have much time to match up the binding to the quilt. :?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast