Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
That bird wall hanging with narrower strips... >

That bird wall hanging with narrower strips...

That bird wall hanging with narrower strips...

Old 12-04-2016, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by Helen6869 View Post
I too have this panel and love what you've done with it. Is this an original or did you use a pattern? Which pattern is it? Thanks so much!
I designed it. It's pretty easy if you draw it out--mark things up--label the block numbers. Five blocks have the strips one way, five another way, and two another. Just print off the picture and study it. It's important which side is sewed on first.
Old 12-04-2016, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by Greenheron View Post
Had I seen the finished projects separately, I would like them both but seen side-by-side I prefer the wider strips because the tree seems larger and airier and the birds more naturally grouped.
I completely see what you are seeing. Thanks for sharing your perspective! The birds seems to be less squished in the big one. I decided to gift the big one because the receiver should have lots of wall space. My classroom has very little open wall space left.
Old 12-04-2016, 04:45 PM

Question

Originally Posted by barnbum View Post
I designed it. It's pretty easy if you draw it out--mark things up--label the block numbers. Five blocks have the strips one way, five another way, and two another. Just print off the picture and study it. It's important which side is sewed on first.
Sounds easy enough. What is the order to sew on the strips? stealing your idea I know but I've had this panel so long and didn't know what to do with it till now. Thanks for sharing it!
Old 12-04-2016, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by Helen6869 View Post
Sounds easy enough. What is the order to sew on the strips? stealing your idea I know but I've had this panel so long and didn't know what to do with it till now. Thanks for sharing it!
It changes... blocks 3, 6, 8, 9, and 11 get green first. Blocks 2, 4, 5, 7, 10 get floral first. Blocks 1 and 12 are all green--doesn't matter which side goes first. Check the picture to see what sides get strips. :-) Post your picture on here in a reply when you're done--I'd love to see it.
Old 12-05-2016, 07:11 AM

Very pretty, like them both
Old 12-05-2016, 05:02 PM

Smile Thank you!

Originally Posted by barnbum View Post
It changes... blocks 3, 6, 8, 9, and 11 get green first. Blocks 2, 4, 5, 7, 10 get floral first. Blocks 1 and 12 are all green--doesn't matter which side goes first. Check the picture to see what sides get strips. :-) Post your picture on here in a reply when you're done--I'd love to see it.
you are so kind to share this with us. It will be a while as there is one to finish binding, two to start and finish binding, 1 to take to longarmer, and a snowman doorhanging to finish and mail!! yikes, scares me when I actually write it all out!!! lots to do. The birds will be for me!! I love anything with birds,.....have bunches of panels and fabrics pieces with them. This really inspired me to get some out after the holidays to make for spring! Thank you so much again and God bless!
Old 12-05-2016, 05:25 PM

Aww--Helen--I'm glad it gave you ideas! I sure get a lot of ideas from other quilters, so it's nice to be able to pay it forward. ;-)

PS Don't forget to number your blocks! :-)
Old 12-05-2016, 05:31 PM

You had a tough choice to make! I've looked and looked at these, and it appears that the larger one is closer, as if you're standing almost up to a window. The narrow sashing on the other is as if the window is a little farther away. I'm glad you chose to keep the one you liked better--space requirements aside. Both really pretty.